Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse Seeks to Extend Win Streak to Three Games

The Columbia women’s lacrosse team (2-0) enters today’s match against the Wagner Seahawks (0-2) after winning its first two contests of the season against Monmouth and Lafayette. The Lions have fared well against the Seahawks in the past and will try to extend their 11-0 all-time record against them this afternoon. In the two teams’ meeting last year, the Light Blue emerged victorious by a final score of 14-3.

Wagner will look to try and snap a two-game losing streak after having dropped matches to Bucknell and Saint Joseph’s. While they have yet to ever beat Columbia, the Seahawks have acquired some promising young talent this year. Freshman Melanie Garces and senior Kelly Blundin are tied for the team high in points with four each, and freshman Carolyn Clark follows closely behind with three points. Additionally, Garces stands as the team leader in shot percentage (.600). Blundin also ranks first in shots on goal with eight and total shots with nine.

The Light Blue boasts stats superior to Wagner’s. Junior Brittany Shannon and senior Holly Glynn are the team’s leading scorers with 10 and nine goals respectively. Glynn, who ranked first in the Ivy League with 2.93 goals per game last year, was named Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the Week after her dominant opening weekend performances. Her nine goals and one assist in the first two games have boosted the Lions to their best start since 2006.

As a team, Columbia carries a .509 shooting percentage with an average of 28.5 shots per game into today’s battle. Wagner shoots a .342 percentage with an average of 19 shots per game on the season. The Lions also best the Seahawks in forced turnovers 21-9, draw controls 25-18, and ground balls 38-26.

The Lions and Seahawks begin play at 3 p.m. today in Staten Island.