Lightweights and heavyweights return to action

While the women’s rowing team will take a weekend off from racing, both the lightweight and the heavyweight men’s squads will be competing on Saturday.

The heavyweights (8-0) will look to continue their impressive season when they take on Yale and Penn at the Blackwell Cup this weekend.
The Light Blue are coming off a historic victory at the Childs Cup regatta, taking the cup for the first time in 46 years. Columbia’s varsity eight boat outpaced Princeton and Penn in a time of 6:20.8 to win the cup last Saturday. This victory bumped the Lions up to sixth in the collegiate coaches poll.

Having won all four of their regattas so far this spring, the heavyweights will look to make it five in a row against the Bulldogs and the Quakers on Saturday. Columbia has already raced against Penn this season—defeating the Quakers’ varsity eight boat by 12.9 seconds at the Childs Cup last weekend—but the Lions have yet to face Yale.

The No. 14 Bulldogs are coming off a sweep of Dartmouth, defeating the Big Green by just over two seconds in the varsity eight race.
Last year, Columbia was victorious at the Blackwell Cup, winning it for the first time in 67 years. In the first varsity race, the Lions finished in 5:51.3, just ahead of the Bulldogs, who came in at 5:52.5. Penn finished at a distant third with a time of 6:09.1.

The Blackwell Cup is scheduled to begin at 6:10 p.m. on Saturday at Columbia’s home course.

The lightweights (1-8) hope to break their three-race losing streak when they travel to Cambridge, Mass. to take part in the Geiger Cup. The Lions will also be taking on Dartmouth on Sunday in the Subin Cup.

Last weekend, the Light Blue fell to both Penn and Yale at the Dodge Cup. The Bulldogs finished first with a time of 5:57.3, slightly ahead of the Quakers, who came in at 6:02.1. The Lions finished in third with a time of 6:04.8. Columbia placed second in both the second varsity and the freshman eight races, ahead of Penn but behind Yale.

The lightweight squad has yet to face either MIT or Cornell this season. The No. 11 Engineers are coming off a defeat at the Biglin Bowl. MIT finished third with a time of 6:10.1, behind No. 2 Harvard (5:57.4) and No. 7 Dartmouth (6:28.1).

Sixth-place Cornell is also looking to bounce back from a loss. The Big Red were defeated by No. 1 Princeton at the Platt Cup. The Tigers’ varsity eight crew finished in 6:18.7, almost 15 seconds ahead of Cornell, which finished at 6:32.9. However, the Big Red did defeat Princeton in the second varsity, third varsity, and freshman races.

Last season at the Geiger Cup, the Light Blue finished at a close second behind Cornell. Columbia’s varsity eight crew finished in 5:56.4, less than three seconds behind the Big Red and just over three seconds ahead of the Engineers. Though the Lions fell in the second varsity race, they were triumphant in the freshman eight race.

The Geiger Cup is set to begin at 9:00 a.m. Saturday in Cambridge.

After racing against Cornell and MIT, Columbia will head to Hanover, N.H., to take on No. 7 Dartmouth in the Subin Cup.

The Light Blue lost a close race to the Big Green at last season’s Subin Cup. Dartmouth’s varsity eight came in at 5:51.4, less than a second ahead of Columbia, which came in at 5:52.0.

The Subin Cup is scheduled to begin at 9:40 a.m. on Sunday in Hanover.