Lightweights pick up first cup since 2006, heavyweights win fifth consecutive

It was a successful weekend for Columbia rowing. Not only did the heavyweight team continue its impressive run by taking its fifth consecutive cup, but also the lightweight squad won its first cup since the 2006 spring season.

The heavyweights (10-0) remain undefeated this spring after winning the Blackwell Cup for the second year in a row. The sixth-ranked Lions finished the varsity-eight race in 5:54.0, 2.8 seconds ahead of No. 14 Yale, which came in at 5:56.8. Penn came in a distant third, with a time of 6:07.8. This was a much more comfortable victory for the Light Blue than last year’s Blackwell Cup success, during which the Lions edged the Bulldogs by just 1.2 seconds to take the cup for the first time in 67 years.

Madeleine Desmond (coxswain), Evan Cassidy, Brian Dunn, Timm Baur, Tom Eichler, Matt Celano, Sebastian Kirwan, Richard Joyce, and Henry Cooper made up the victorious varsity-eight boat.

The Lions’ second varsity boat finished behind Yale but ahead of Penn in a time of 6:13.8. Columbia was bested by both Yale and Penn in the freshman-eight race, coming in third with a time of 6:17.6.

The heavyweights will return to action next weekend when they take on Boston University and Syracuse for the Doc Lusins Trophy.

Before winning their first cup in almost three years at the Subin Cup on Sunday, the lightweights (3-9) faced-off against No. 6 Cornell and No. 11 MIT at the Geiger Cup on Saturday. The 10th-ranked Lions finished in second with a time of 6:24.8, over eight seconds behind the Big Red (6:16.2) and nearly two seconds ahead of the Engineers (6:26.7).

Columbia also finished in second place in both the second varsity (6:34.0) and freshman (6:30.8) races.
The Light Blue traveled from Cambridge to Hanover to take on No. 7 Dartmouth in the Subin Cup. Not only did the lightweight squad pull off the upset to win its first cup since 2006, but it also swept all three races in the regatta.

In the varsity-eight race, Crizzy Dawis (coxswain), Nick LaCava, Jake Cushnie, Bob Duff, Lars Boman, Mike Nucci, Mike Long, Chris Williams, and Greg Pupo outpaced Dartmouth by over four seconds, finishing the 2,000-meter race in 5:39.10.

The Lions also won the second-varsity and freshman races, topping the Big Green in times of 5:48.9 and 5:37.25, respectively.

The lightweights will have a few weeks off from racing to prepare for the Eastern Sprints on May 10.