Softball drops three games to Big Red

The Columbia softball team was only able to come away with one victory this weekend, losing to Cornell in three of four games and dropping to 3-13 in the Ivy League and 13-29 overall.

The Big Red (34-10, 13-3 Ivy) took the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, 6-0. Cornell’s Elizabeth Dalrymple completely shut down the Light Blue offense, allowing only two hits and no walks, while striking out 15. Anne Marie Skylis and Karen Tulig were the only Lions to get hits.

Freshman pitcher Jessica Rakonza earned the loss after giving up six runs on 12 hits in seven innings. However, it could have been much worse, as Rakonza was able to get herself out of a few tough innings, stranding 10 Cornell players in the process. In the top of the fifth, Rakonza got Jessy Berkey to fly into a double play with the bases loaded and no outs.

Cornell first baseman Ashley Garvey led the Big Red offense with three hits and two RBI.
In the second game on Saturday, Columbia was able to pull off an upset, taking the game 8-2. An explosive offense combined with excellent pitching performances by Erica Clauss and Maggie Johnson gave the Lions the win.

The Light Blue offense was led by Dani Pineda, who went 2-for-3 with three RBI. Jackie Ecker also had two hits and scored two runs. Chantee Dempsey contributed with a three-run home run in the bottom of the fourth to give the Lions the lead.

Clauss got the win by giving up one run (unearned) on five hits and a walk in five innings of work. Johnson pitched two innings of relief, allowing one run on three hits and two walks.

Despite being out-hit by Cornell, 8-6, the Lions were able to score more runs by capitalizing on opportunities with runners on base. While finishing an inning is normally difficult for the Light Blue, the team only left four runners on, compared to the Big Red’s 10.

Sunday’s doubleheader resulted in two losses for Columbia, as Cornell outscored the Lions, 22-2.
In the first game, Columbia lost 8-0 after five innings of play. The Lions were once again held to two hits, which came off the bats of Pineda and Johnson. While Johnson was able to get a hit, her performance on the mound was less than stellar. In five innings of work, Johnson gave up eight runs (six earned) on seven hits and one walk.

Garvey once again led the Big Red offense, hitting a three-run homer in the first inning to give Cornell an early 3-0 lead.

The second game was also shortened, this time to six innings, as a six-run sixth gave the Big Red a 14-2 victory.

Clauss got the start for Columbia and was pummeled by the Big Red’s offense. In five innings, Clauss gave up 13 runs (10 earned) on 13 hits and five walks. Rakonza was brought in to pitch the last inning, giving up one run on three hits.

Cornell shortstop Alyson Intihar and right fielder Berkey led their team, combining for six hits, six runs, and seven RBI. Two of Berkey’s three hits were home runs.

Only three Lions managed to get hits off Cornell’s Ali Tomlinson. Tomlinson went the full six innings, giving up only one earned run on four hits and a walk, while striking out nine.
Pineda led the Light Blue offense with a solo homer and an RBI double. Ecker and Kayla Lechler each added a hit of their own.

Columbia will play two doubleheaders this week against Iona and Rider, before facing its final Ivy opponent of the season, Penn, this weekend.