Sports | Volleyball

Freshman Gaughn, sophomore Roberts earn All-Ivy honors

The Columbia women’s volleyball team had its best season since 2002, ending the season with a 12-15 overall record and 3-11 in the Ivy League. In particular, freshman outside hitter Megan Gaughn and sophomore middle blocker Monique Roberts were two keys to success for the Lions this season. In her first collegiate season, Gaughn made the second-team All-Ivy with a kill per set average of 4.00 and 384 kills overall. Of the seven second-team All-Ivy recipients, Gaughn was the only freshman to earn the honor. Gaughn also ranked first in the division in total points with 422 and second in points per set scored with 4.40. Gaughn also earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors twice. 2009 was a breakout season for Roberts as she led the Ivy League in solo blocks with 31 and total blocks with 105. Her efforts earned her honorable mention All-Ivy League honors. In her second season with the Light Blue. Roberts totaled 209 kills—good enough for second place on the team. Both Gaughn and Roberts played crucial roles in pushing Columbia to sixth place in the Ivy League. The two rising stars will undoubtedly continue to take on more leadership roles in the coming years.