News | Academics

Barnard admissions rate drops to 26.5 percent

A trapeze artist, a synchronized skater, and a National History Day champion were among those students admitted to the Barnard class of 2014 in what was a particularly competitive admissions cycle.

The Barnard admissions rate dropped to 26.5 percent, down from 29 percent last year.

Barnard admitted 1,225 students from 4,617 applicants this year.

“The incoming class is an academically stellar group of young women who have achieved an impressive balance between work and life already,” Jennifer Fondiller, dean of admissions, said in a statement.

The pool of admitted students includes 68 valedictorians and 111 National Merit finalists and semi-finalists.

“They have distinguished themselves as leaders, activists, artists, and athletes who will bring to Barnard an enthusiasm for learning both in and out of the classroom,” she added.
Last year, 1,241 were admitted to Barnard out of 4,174 applicants—a smaller group of applicants.

The Admissions Office expects 575 to enroll for the class of 2014—189 were admitted early decision, and 53 members of the incoming class were admitted last spring and took a gap year.

Barnard admitted students from 47 states, Puerto Rico, and 30 countries. Additionally, 43 percent identified as students of color—22 percent Asian-American, 10 percent Latina, and 10 percent African-American.

Last week, the undergraduate admissions offices for Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science announced its most selective class in the University’s history. CC accepted 8.3 percent of its applicants, and SEAS accepted 13.36 percent.

alix.pianin@columbiaspectator.com

humastas posted on

"Last week, the undergraduate admissions offices for Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science announced its most selective class in the University’s history."

there is only ONE undergraduate admissions office for CC/SEAS. there are no officeS!

+1
0
-1