Opinion | Op-eds

Perspectives on checkpoints: Students for Justice in Palestine

On Nov. 18, Columbia University Students for Justice in Palestine constructed a mock Israeli checkpoint at the Low Library steps. The action was intended to highlight the indignity Palestinian students endure at checkpoints. For instance, 9,000 students at An-Najah University have to pass through checkpoints daily, and 64 percent report having been physically abused at checkpoints, according to the Right to Education Campaign.

CSJP’s action was intended to show that the term “checkpoint” euphemizes the living conditions of occupation. Checkpoints are sites of violence. And although blindfolding is not an everyday occurrence, our point was to draw our community’s attention and to alert our peers to the humiliation that Palestinian students constantly endure.

Zionist groups protesting Thursday’s action claim that checkpoints are a “necessary evil.” Their “factsheet” claimed that armed terrorists attempt to cross checkpoints daily, but when asked, they could not provide any source indicating this to be the case. Moreover, as of 2006, it was estimated that 34,000 undocumented Palestinians crossed into Israel from the Green Line without passing through a checkpoint. Couldn’t one of these thousands have brought a bomb into Israel?

Terrorist attacks are a desperate response to the inequality between Palestinians and Israelis. Heightened security will not resolve Israel’s “security threat,” but an end to apartheid will.
Indeed, the checkpoints are an integral part of Israeli apartheid. They are not merely “border control” mechanisms. Checkpoints separate Palestinian villages from one another in the name of “protecting” the illegal settlements in the West Bank.

Although CSJP’s action focused on checkpoints, the Right to Education Campaign is geared toward shedding light on all Israeli policies that inhibit Palestinians’ access to education. These measures include detention, forced closures of schools, restrictions on foreign staff, and damage to property. For instance, Israel does not allow construction material into Gaza, even for use by the U.N.. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency was forced to turn away 40,000 children this past fall. In fact, the only reason UNRWA required building materials in order to accommodate these 40,000 children is that, in 2008, Israel’s assault on Gaza damaged 36 U.N. schools which are no longer fit for use.

According to Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,“Everyone has the right to education ... education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.” Israel’s policies in the Occupied Territories prevent Palestinians from enjoying this right. It is natural that, as students of every religious, political, and national affiliation, we act in solidarity with those in Palestine who are cut off from the educational experiences we benefit from daily.

Yasmeen Ar-Rayani is a Columbia College junior majoring in Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies. Michael Kennedy is a graduate student in the department of anthropology. Alaa Milbes is a graduate student in the department of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies. Dina Omar is a graduate student in the department of anthropology. They are all members of Students for Justice in Palestine.

Despicable. What is the point of the demonstration if it isn't realistic, or even representative of Palestinians crossing through checkpoints?

Plus, checkpoints in Israel are slowly starting to become electronically-manned rather than manned by IDF soldiers. Sound like a country trying to just oppress the Palestinians??

http://www.ynetnews.com/articl...

So Hillel's factsheet, you claim, wasn't properly sourced, but you are allowed to cite numbers cited from the "Right to Education Campaign." LAUGHABLE!

SJP - I'd advise that if you want to do any good for Palestinians you stop having radical and pointless spectacle events and start actually trying to do something productive. All stuff like this does is delegitimize your group and it's cause.

+1
-1
-1

what about these facts? is it 'radical and pointless' to let people know that 40,000 students in gaza couldn't go to school this year because of israeli policies?

"Israel does not allow construction material into Gaza, even for use by the U.N.. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency was forced to turn away 40,000 children this past fall. In fact, the only reason UNRWA required building materials in order to accommodate these 40,000 children is that, in 2008, Israel’s assault on Gaza damaged 36 U.N. schools which are no longer fit for use."

Sources below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worl...
http://www.maannews.net/eng/Vi...

+1
-2
-1

i think most people can agree that human rights abuses are never okay, no matter how complicated a situation is. you don't have to be radical to see that.

+1
0
-1
Arafat posted on

I'm confused here. Why is it the Plaestinians can't go to school in Jordan?

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. The point of going to school is to learn something that will make you a productive citizen. Only place to find that in that neighborhood is on the tiny sliver of land called Israel.

(PC Police, aka Columbia Editorial Board...Is it Ok if I write this? I know it is not PC even if it is true. You probably don't want truth to be printed because it might hurt some poor soul's feelings. Right? Why expose anyone to the truth should be your motto!)

+1
-2
-1

Can you stop being so self-righteous and stop acting like a student group is a political party. 1. SJP always has informative events to raise awareness about pertinent issues. I've attended many and appreciate the group's work on campus. Also, since when is a theatrical mock display immature? Perhaps you have all lost your creativity, but it is a creative way to raise awareness and expose others who, otherwise wouldn't hear or know what is going on and have absolutely no idea Palestinians have to go through checkpoints, to their everyday reality (which is almost never covered on mainstream American media). It is common knowledge that terrorism exists. This is on the media all the time and covered quite frequently to the extent that normal everyday Americans now equate Arab/Muslims with terrorism. However, terrorism concerns Arabs/Muslims and affects us more than it affects Israelis.But until people understand the root cause of terrorism and how it is an act of desperation and what conditions/circumstances cause that desperation, than we will be unable to achieve a common ground to even begin a discussion. To me, asking SJP to work with Hillel, a group that supports and justifies the oppressive conditions Palestinians live in is like asking people who are working to eliminate slavery to work with people who justify it? or asking people who are working for LGBT rights to work with people who are against it? or asking people who are pro-immigration rights to work with people that are against it? This is quite counterproductive and illogical, dont you think? I personally enjoyed the checkpoint and hope to see more displays like it.

+1
+3
-1
Arafat posted on

"SJP always has infomrative events..."

Informative. Yeah, right. Like calling Operation Cast Lead genocide? Is that informative or an extremely dishonest, prejudicial, Orwellian lie used to glorify those who shot 6,000 rockets on a country, a country that used more patience than any Islamic country would ever use before taking action.

(PC Police...aka Columbia Editorial Staff, is it OK for me to write this? Or will this comment also be deleted by you? Why is it OK for "Pro-human rights" to write lies without recrimination while my comments are deleted? Is it because my comments are not PC? Is it because your little newspaper site is all about being PC and spreading lies instead of being honest even if it is NOT PC?)

+1
-4
-1

Wow. "Terrorist attacks are a desperate response to the inequality between Palestinians and Israelis. " How detached from human decency are you people? Just ridiculous that you can get this published...

+1
+6
-1

what do you think they come from then? i doubt anyone in sjp thinks suicide bombings are a good idea. but they don't just spring out of nowhere. do you think that palestinians would be running around israel with bombs strapped to their chests (which doesn't even happen anymore) if israel weren't oppressing them?

you must really think palestinians are animals then. no one just kills for the sake of killing. not israelis, not palestinians. and just because you acknowledge that doesn't mean you are justifying the actions of either group.

+1
-7
-1

If Israel prompts suicide bombings then how do you explain the suicide bombings in Arab countries like Iraq? Answer: religion. The sunni/shiite divide is even stronger than the Jewish/Arab divide that prompts so many bombings in the past in Israel.

Get some common sense people...there was no occupation when Israel legally declared its independence as a state in 1948...so why were they immediately attacked by the surrounding Arab powers.

+1
-2
-1

what do you mean there was no occupation? in fact, the only reason that so many jewish settlers even came to palestine was that palestinians were under british colonial rule, and the british government gave zionists representation in the administration of the territory (in the form of the jewish agency) and gave palestinians, the indigenous population, no representation.

also, if you think attacks in iraq are the same as attacks in israel, then you just think arabs are all the same. because the two situations are very different.

i think we're getting off track though. what the authors here are trying to say is that, regardless of these security concerns, which may be legitimate, there is no good 'security reason' for bombing UN schools or for forcing kids to go to school in tents and tin shacks.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

Here we go again...Iraq is different than Israel which is different than Bosnia which is different than Sudan which is different than Yemen........

As I just wrote, curious logic these people use.

Although Muslims commit terrorist attacks against women and children in pretty much every country where Muslims live, each attack is unique and it is NEVER, EVER because their holy books teach them Jihad and hatred. NEVER! It is always Israel's fault, or the Sunni's fault, or the Shii'ite's fault, or the Christian's fault, or the imperialist's fault, or the colomialist's fault. But NEVER, EVER is it Islam's fault.

(PC Poloe...AKA COlumbia Editorial Staff, is it OK if I write this? Maybe you could respond by letting me/us know what it is about this you find worthy of deleting? How can we learn if you act like fascists and simply delete comments without explanation? For instance why can commentators write that Israel is a genocidal, apartheid state and never worry about having those commens deleted, but if I write that Saudi Arabia is 1,000 worse (we all know there are ZERO non-Muslims living there) or that a real genocidal state is Sudan (thanks to Muslims) then my comments are deleted? Why is this? What is your logic?)

+1
-4
-1

Islam is a major Abrahamic religion with millions of followers around the world. The history of this religion goes back centuries, and Islamic literature, science, philosophy, have contributed greatly to our world. Labeling Islam as an extremist religion that only inspires hate is simply ignorant. Yes, there are extremists, but the vast majority of Muslims are not.

+1
-3
-1

why? because israel was "declaring independence" during a catastrophe! you can't just declare independence out of nowhere, obviously. countries don't magically appear, that's not how it works. 700,000 palestinians were displaced and made homeless in 1948 alone, you expect there to be no consequences??

and no, "religion" is not the answer for why suicide bombings exist. they exist because these communities have no official military or real weapons. and if you knew anything about history you would know muslims are not the only groups that used such tactics (tamil tigers, the IRA, etc.) the only reason it's mostly muslims in the media now is because multiple predominately muslim countries are being occupied by imperial/colonial powers.

how about YOU "get some common sense." you don't even do any fact checking.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

Amy, Amy. Amy D!

One day I hope to rise to your abilities of fact checking. Put aside any pre-conceived notions or "prejudices" that I might have and live up to your example of research and objectivity! (Just kidding.)

Your write, "and no, "religion" is not the answer for why suicide bombings exist. they exist because these communities have no official military or real weapons. and if you knew anything about history you would know muslims are not the only groups that used such tactics (tamil tigers, the IRA, etc.) the only reason it's mostly muslims in the media now is because multiple predominately muslim countries are being occupied by imperial/colonial powers."

I'm finally speechless! I'll tell you one thing, though. It is a good thing the Columbia Editorial Staff is so darn objective and well-researched when they decide which comments to delete and which comments pass their superior, moral code of journalistic ethics. Obviously this is why comments like yours pass their esteemed desks without a blink of the eye while my comments are routinely deleted for NOT being well researched nor objective like your's!

Great job, Amy!
And even greater job COl Editorial Staff!!!

+1
-3
-1

so syrian christians blew themselves up because of religion?

common sense, in 1900, less than 10% of palestine was jewish. 50 years later, they created a majority by massive immigrations of european jews and cleansing of native palestinians.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

"...Suicide attacks just don't spring out of nowhere..."

Another lie. Another deception. Since 9/11 there have been over 16,000 Islamist terrorist attacks. Where did these spring from?

The commentator would have us believe it is never the Muslims fault and that it has NOTHING to do with the teachings of Islam, but is always someone else's fault for "oppressing" Islam. LOL! That's a good one! Almost got me there.

16,000+ attacks in Thailand and Pakistan and India and NYC and London and Madrid and Borneo and Maldives, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Egypt, Algiers, Libya, Morocco, Mali, Muaritania, Iraq, Iran Russia, China, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen, Kuwait, Turkey, Brussels, Germany, Italy, Canada, Bosnia, Serbia, and of course....Israel! But it is never Muslim's fault. It is always someone else's fault.

And all this despite the innumerable verses in the Koran and examples in the hadiths that encourage Muslims to go out and to do exactly these things. Curious logic, to say the least.

(PC Police...aka Columbia Editorial Staff. is it OK for me to write this or will this comment also get deleted? I know, I know, your internet site is not really about the news and honest, albeit unpleasant editorials and insights. It's all about being like the NYT and WAPO, i.e., politically correct! My congratulations for deleting comments that might actually help people learn or to see see things from a different perspective while NOT deleting the same old prejudice wrapped up in today's PC lingo!)

+1
-2
-1

why dont you actually research and learn about terrorism before speaking on a subject you know absolutely nothing about? Yes, in fact, terrorism has time and time again been shown to demonstrate political acts of desperation and frustration that stem from unequal, inhumane, and depraved circumstances and conditions--a situation Palestinians are placed in due to Israel's ILLEGAL AND BRUTAL OCCUPATION, IT'S ILLEGAL AND CRIPPLING SIEGE ON GAZA, it's discriminate laws on Palestinian-Israelis, the mass arrest of Palestinian males, the APARTHEID WALL, checkpoints, the relentless building of illegal colonies-settlements, etc etc etc...I mean how many violations of international law and how many human rights abuses can Israel violate and EXPECT people not to react. Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the OCCUPYING POWER, which is Israel, to be held responsible for the conditions of Palestinians (the occupied) are living in. Furthermore, Palestinians, under INTERNATIONAL LAW, have the RIGHT to resist their OCCUPYING POWER and resist against the occupation. Rather than justify illegal and oppressive practices, it seems like Hillel should work towards criticizing Israal, these illegal and horrific human rights abuses...it's not so complicated...stop committing human rights abuses and violating int'l law and treat people with dignity and respect and there wont be so much violence. There's a cause and effect here...the cause is the occupation and colonization of a land (typical settler-colonial dynamic) and the indigenous and native people (the Palestinians) resisting that colonization, occupation and oppression. It's all quite simple.

+1
-2
-1

Yes, terrorist attacks are desperate responses. This isn't only the case with Palestinians, but also with other groups who have been under occupation and oppression- Irish, Lebanese, Armenians, etc.

You wonder what would possess a 17 year old Syrian Christian to become the first female suicide bomber. Well go and live under an occupation before you are so quick to condemn them.

+1
-4
-1

thank you SJP, for doing this kind of thing on your campus. it is great to see people spreading awareness about human rights abuses in palestine. i am sure your message is not lost on everyone, as it is on those who have already commented, who have clearly already made up their minds on this issue.

keep up the good work!

+1
-3
-1

too bad this action was kept within the confines of an elite university.

+1
-2
-1

i appreciate your point, but it's called bringing the occupation to those who have the most power to change it!

+1
-3
-1

I am in SJP, and I'd like to make clear that these actions don't just happen at Columbia. We just happen to be one of a handful of organizations in New York working on Palestine. Ours was at Columbia because we have resources, as students here, to make it happen on campus. But all sincere suggestions are more than welcome. Yes, the university is elite, and yes, we are privileged. I, for one, don't believe that the privileged peoples of the world necessarily have the power to always change things, which is why I support BDS (Boycott Divestment Sanctions). It is a non-violent way for all people, regardless of race, religion, socio-economic status, gender, etc. to participate in holding Israel accountable for its human rights abuses.

+1
-1
-1

so a degree from Columbia makes you more powerful? Sounds elitist. Point proven.

+1
+1
-1

Great Job SJP.

Thank you for shedding light on this issue.

+1
-4
-1

it's true that checkpoints are terrible, but there are a lot of things that israel does that are much worse, like, as you mentioned, bombing schools. here's an article about one of the UN schools israel bombed:

http://www.time.com/time/world...

+1
-4
-1

is that the school the time article was referring to?

+1
-6
-1

yea, are we supposed to believe some random israeli TV news station over the UN?

+1
-3
-1

no, believe Judge Richard Goldstone of South Africa

+1
+2
-1

goldstone said that the UN school mentioned in the times article, which the UN verified did not have palestinian militants in it, was being used as a military base?

+1
+3
-1
ColumbiaSpectator posted on

To all commenters—

The comment thread in the recent news story about the event referenced here declined at times into attacks on Islam, Judaism, Israel, Palestine, Arabs, and other related cultural or religious groups, and we were forced to remove a number of comments. We believe very firmly in free speech, but we believe some comments cross a reasonable line, and so we will again remove inappropriate comments that do nothing to engage the topics covered by the two op-eds published today on this subject. We're posting this as a request from the start—please keep dialogue civil.

You can review our comment policy here: http://spectrum.columbiaspecta...

Thanks,

Ben Cotton
Editor in Chief

+1
-4
-1

Wonderful job C-SJP!

+1
-2
-1

good job Columbia SJP! keep up the great work

+1
-2
-1

great job SJP! columbia needs more things like this

+1
-2
-1

the difference between this article and Mr. Liben's is that this one cedes not an inch of ground to the opposing point of view. the authors can't even bring themselves to acknowledge that terrorism is a legitimate threat to israeli citizens; rather, they go so far as to deny the current existence of such a threat. this is irresponsible and demonstrates a selective approach to human rights, which by definition is antithetical to the basic idea of "human rights." if people continue to see things in the way the authors of this article do, no progress will ever be made on the israel-palestine issue. and the palestinians will continue to suffer.

+1
-1
-1

Ben Cotton ben squelching free speech again?

Viva la checkpoints!

+1
-1
-1

oh SJP - constantly polarizing people, accomplishing nothing. i think i dislike your side's viewpoint even more after your reckless dramatization of the conflict.

+1
-2
-1

I really enjoy reading this parade of ignorance. It is really easy to write all kinds of comments when you do not need to confront historical facts or even modern politics.

1. One needs to be amazingly ignorant in order to compare the situation in Israel to that of Algeria. While Algeria does not border France, Israel and Palestine share the same land. Furthermore, France was a well established country before it invaded Algeria, whereas the Jews in Israel represent a flux of immigrants from all walk of life from all around the globe. Most of these immigrants are WW II survivors. In the same vain, you can compare Jordan to France, for it governs a very big Palestinian majority. Is it not? I forgot. You are probably not interested in an educated discussion. Rather, you seek to delegitimize Israel's right to exist.

2. Apartheid? This is one of my favorite claims. Let us start we a small definition: apartheid is a system of legal racial segregation enforced by a government on its own citizens.
Let us now check the facts:
A. There are several Arab parties in the Israeli parlament. The representatives of these parties call for Israel's destruction behind the podium of the Israeli democracy, while being fully protected under the Israeli law. Did the black citizens of South Africa have a party in the parliament? Did they have the right to vote? Or maybe I am wrong and Arab Israelis are of a different race than the Palestinians.

B. Palestinians constantly prosecute Israel for all sort of issues. In which courts you might ask. No, you are right! It is the Israeli judicial bureau that makes sure Palestinians can confront the state of Israel in the court of law. Many times Palestinians win in such trials. Is this an apartheid regime?

C. Did the black citizens of South Africa ever call for the destruction of South Africa as a whole? Did they question South Africa's right to exist? No! However, the Palestinian Authority as well as Hamas call for Israel's destruction on daily basis. Weird, is it not? Should a democratic country allow its own delegitimization? Should it encourage it?

D. There are more than many Arab students in Israeli universities. How many black students were in South African universities under the apartheid regime? Is it racism? Or is it a country defending itself, as a whole population refuses to recognize its right to exist?

3. CSJP are against conversation using the excuse of anti-normalization. Instead, they choose a radical approach whose only purpose is war. Whether it is a war over the public opinion, whether it is a war of delegitimization, or whether it is a violent war, it is still a war. As you probably know, or maybe you do not, in a war there are only losers. So you can seek Israel's destruction, but in the process you will sabotage your chance for a good life, and well being.

4. A person who believes in his cause will never fear discussion, nor will he hide behind destructive, provocative, and deceitful displays. Rather, a person who believes in his path will make sure to get the massage across in an educated and sound way.

+1
-1
-1

1. There are several Arab parties in the Israeli parlament. The representatives of these parties call for Israel's destruction behind the podium of the Israeli democracy, while being fully protected under the Israeli law. Did the black citizens of South Africa have a party in the parliament? Did they have the right to vote?

do the Palestinians in the occupied territories have a right to vote for the parliament that is their real sovereign, the Knesset? do Palestinians who were born in Israel but were forced to flle have a right to vote? do Palestinian citizens of Israel ("Israeli Arabs") have a right to vote for a party that doesn't advocate Israel being a Jewish state (according to a 1984 law it is illegal for any party to run on a platform that doubts this). Has any independent Arab party ever been part of a government coalition? the right to vote, in itself, doesn't guarantee democracy. In the Soviet Union everyone had the right to vote, but there were very clear limitaitons on who you could vote for. The percentage of Ara voters is plummetting because people realize it is meaningless.

2. It is the Israeli judicial bureau that makes sure Palestinians can confront the state of Israel in the court of law. Many times Palestinians win in such trials
this is nonsense. Palestianians regularly lose in these trials. " It begins with the incompatibility of provisions set forth by the Security Legislation - the legislation to which the residents of the OT are subjected - with the minimal international standards of due process, it continues with serious defects in the implementation of the principles of presumption of innocence and publicity of trial, and it ends with material violations of different rights of the defendant, including the right to know the charge, the right to trial without delay and the right to prepare an effective defense. Among other things some of the most serious defects relate to the adjudication of minors and the translation into Arabic of legislation, judgments, investigation material and interpretation in the courtroom.

Yesh Din's findings on these matters are described in detail in the report "Backyard Proceedings"
http://media.yesh-din.org/geni...

+1
-2
-1

3. There are more than many Arab students in Israeli universities. How many black students were in South African universities under the apartheid regime? Is it racism?

Nelson Mandela studied at several South African universities - University of Fort Hare, University of South Africa
University of the Witwatersrand . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N... . Check your facts.
Is this racism? yes it is, because although Arab students are permitted to study in university in their own country (how amazingly progessive and generous) there are informal quotas on them, for example
http://www.adalah.org/eng/pres...
as well as numerous restrictions on their political activities, no infrastructure for Arabic speakers etc etc

4. Did the black citizens of South Africa ever call for the destruction of South Africa as a whole? Did they question South Africa's right to exist? No!
black citizens questioned the right of *Apartheid* South Africa to exist. They recognized the right of the white population to exist, but without a legal system that gave them privileges. In Israel/Palestine, Jewish Israelis have access to land distributed by the state to Jews only. Their freedom of movement in the territories, and getting into the country, is incomparable to that of Palestinians. Their education system is separate and unequal. All these features had direct equivalents in South African apartheid, which is why progessives all races are trying to "deligitimize" them.

So, maybe check the facts yourself?

+1
+2
-1

"Instead, they choose a radical approach whose only purpose is war."
SJP chapters around the country advocate "a just peace where Palestinians are free in their homeland and equals to Jewish Israelis." Here is a detailed statement of our prinicples,
http://mondoweiss.net/2010/10/...

if yoy had arguments againstg these these ideas you would have no need to invent lies about support for war etc.
which people so frequently lie about to demafe us:

+1
-2
-1

My Dear allegedly educated Tom,

Nelson Mandela was an exception to the rule. There were quotas for how many black student could study in South Africa. Most of the black population could not study. In Israel, However, all the Palestinians can study whatever they want.

Most Palestinians are not Israeli citizens since they chose to refer the idea of "Jewish nation to the Jewish people" as racism. Israel will stay a Jewish state whether you like it or not. The only question is if you are willing to establish a palestinian state side by side to the Jewish one. Obviously, SJP calls to the destruction of the Israeli state as the homeland of the Jewish people. The fact that you are not accepting, or even supporting a two state solution only reinforces this point.

Moreover, the apartheid slogan you like so much is merely a rhetorical device. As I already said and you chose to ignore, apartheid means a race based discrimination. Israel is not discriminating against any race. As evident there are over a million Arab citizen in Israel, all of whom have equal rights. Palestinian enjoy waving the racism flag, which is completely irrelevant. Israel has no problems with Arabs or Muslims. It has a big problem with fanatic Islamic groups, Namely, Hammas or the Islamic Jihad. Are they not Palestinian groups calling for the destruction of Israel?? Should Israel be tolerant? You like facts, right? How many Muslim countries are there in the world? How many countries in the Islamic world chose to define themselves as Muslim countries. More than one, right? All these muslim countries are also racist?

Yes, I know that you are annoyed by the fact that Israel is the only DEMOCRACY in the middle east, and the Palestinian authority or Hammas are both far from being DEMOCRATIC. If I were a Palestinian I would have been bothered. The Israeli judicial system protects Palestinians while giving them the right to prosecute a country they are not even citizens of. Any DEMOCRACY, however, has the right to protect itself from terrorists who seek it destruction. Israel has very sophisticated intelligence units (another fact, which probably annoys you). These units have a lot of information regarding terrorist activity, which is plausible enough for the court system to allow their imprisonment. No! Israel do not need to explain why these people are in prison exactly like Hammas or the PLO have never explained why they send suicide bombers to coffee shops or clubs.

You all pretend to be prude and peaceful, when you evade educated discussions. You only care about your BDS nonsense, which will never succeed, as the Israeli economy will keep flourish. An economy grounded in DEMOCRACY and LIBERALISM will always persevere. The uneducated mob might think that your unilateral propaganda has some validity, but any educated and enlightened person would understand that any conflict involves two sides.

A final thank you to Maya Wind. Thank you Maya for proving the world how vibrant, diverse, and liberal the Israeli society is. You are a living proof that Israel is one of the most tolerant and pluralist countries. Surprisingly enough, I have never heard Palestinians demonstrating such pluralism unless they have escaped their oppressive government. Palestinians are well aware that either Hammas or the PLO would kill them in such a case.

Lastly, SJP the champions of human rights, why are you not criticizing Hammas and the PLO for killing their own citizens, stealing the international aid money, oppressing women, and limiting almost every freedom one can have.
these are exactly such moral inversions that puts you in a ridiculous light.

So, maybe make sure to check ALL the facts, and only those you find fit to serve your cause?

+1
-8
-1