Opinion | Op-eds

Israel practices apartheid

Feb. 28 to March 11 marks the second annual Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW), held by Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine as part of the international week of solidarity with the Palestinian people. The information presented in our IAW programming is not conjured by C-SJP or other Palestine solidarity groups, but confirmed by figures who have pointed to Israel an apartheid state, including Jimmy Carter, Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Arun Gandhi, and Israel’s Minister of Defense Ehud Barak. The concept of “apartheid” was created as a response to the systematic discrimination in South Africa, but was not intended to be exclusive to this case. According to Article II of the United Nations International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid, the term “apartheid” applies to “inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them.” According to the provisions of Article II, Israel is guilty of executing a multitude of these acts, including: infringement of freedom or dignity, arbitrary arrest, the creation of living conditions that would cause the destruction of part or entire racial communities, legislation which prevents full racial participation, division of racial population into ghettos, expropriation of property belonging to racial groups, and persecution of organizations and persons because they oppose apartheid.

A critical examination of Israeli policy is necessary but impossible in a short editorial piece—which is why C-SJP hosts Israel Apartheid Week to highlight the state’s discriminatory policies. In the interest of brevity, Israel’s apartheid policies can best be exemplified by its treatment of the Palestinians living within Israel proper. Israel discriminates against its Palestinian minority—20 percent of the total population—by corralling them in ghettos, tying social benefits to military service in the Israel Defense Force, denying jobs to those without military ID, allowing landlords to rent to Jews only, effecting unequal marriage laws, and denying certain purchasing rights of property in the country to non-Jews. Furthermore, municipal services such as street lighting and trash collection are only provided in Jewish areas, and Jewish schools receive four times as much federal funding as Arab schools, which are often kept segregated. According to Amnesty International, 8,000 Palestinians are held in Israeli jails, which is made possible by Israel’s 1979 Emergency Law that states individuals can be held without charge “if the Israeli police or army find that ‘reasons of state security or public security require that a particular person be detained.’” Even Israel’s identification card system is segregated, as markers are used to distinguish Jewish citizens of Israel from Palestinian, Christian, or Muslim citizens. Most recently, Israeli legislators are working to remove Arabic as one of its official national languages, even though it is the native language of the land. They are also trying to pass a law that criminalizes Israeli citizens for supporting the Palestinian Civil Society call for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions against Israel and speaking out against apartheid.

Israel is an apartheid state according to legal definition, but it doesn’t take legal expertise of international law to understand that what is happening to the Palestinians is anything but apartheid­—it just takes a simple examination of the situation. Hoping to blur the lines of ethics, some might like to call the conditions complicated. But Columbia students must be more critical. Racism, colonialism, and settler-states are not complicated and in fact have existed systematically for many years.

C-SJP’s objective in hosting international Israeli Apartheid Week is not to debate whether Israel is practicing apartheid, as this is a fact already substantiated by the international community, but rather to expose Israel’s deeply discriminatory policies. We hope to give our community not only the opportunity for knowledge, but encourage critical engagement with the world as we work together to dismantle the systems of oppression that our tax and tuition dollars fund.

Randa Wahbe is a graduate student in public health. Tanya Keilani is a graduate student in anthropology. Both authors are members of Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine.

You know, maybe I shouldn't be surprised anymore but I gotta be honest I expected something better than this for an SJP opening salvo: the flow of 'Israel is Apartheid-->Biased explanation of how Israel sucks-->How it's bad that U.S. tax dollars support it' has been done, erm let's see, in every op-ed written by them?

SJP, when will you learn that encouraging "critical engagement" means working within the fray -- i.e. raising awareness about your issues AND engaging with people/groups that you disagree with to affect change, and not acting as a radical fringe group outside of it?

+1
0
-1

looks like I should have read the other op-ed first, I think I'm trying to say the same thing as Jacobs...

+1
0
-1
Adel Helal posted on

You want to talk about radical fringe groups that live WITHIN the fray, look no further than the founders and implementers of the Zionist regime:

http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

+1
+1
-1

Civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.:
Peace for Israel means security, and we must stand with all our might to protect its right to exist, its territorial integrity. I see Israel, and never mind saying it, as one of the great outposts of democracy in the world, and a marvelous example of what can be done, how desert land can be transformed into an oasis of brotherhood and democracy. Peace for Israel means security and that security must be a reality. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings of Martin Luther King Jr., HarperCollins 1991, pg. 670)

South African human rights activist Rhoda Kadalie with editor of New Society: Harvard College Student Middle East Journal Julia Bertelsmann: 
[T]he equivalence simply isn't true. Israel is not an apartheid state. ...
Whereas apartheid was established through a series of oppressive laws that governed which park benches we could sit on, where we could go to school, which areas we were allowed to live in, and even whom we could marry, Israel was founded upon a liberal and inclusive Declaration of Independence. South Africa had a job reservation policy for white people; Israel has adopted pro-Arab affirmative action measures in some sectors.
Israeli schools, universities and hospitals make no distinction between Jews and Arabs. An Arab citizen who brings a case before an Israeli court will have that case decided on the basis of merit, not ethnicity. This was never the case for blacks under apartheid. (Z Word, March 2008)
South African apartheid opponent and editor Benjamin Pogrund:
Apartheid is dead in South Africa but the word is alive in the world, especially as an epithet of abuse for Israel. Israel is accused by some of being 'the new apartheid' state. If true, it would be a grave charge, justifying international condemnation and sanctions. But it isn't true. Anyone who knows what apartheid was, and who knows Israel today, is aware of that. Use of the apartheid label is at best ignorant and naïve and at worst cynical and manipulative. ...

"Apartheid" is used in this case and elsewhere because it comes easily to hand: it is a lazy label for the complexities of the Middle East conflict. It is also used because, if it can be made to stick, then Israel can be made to appear to be as vile as was apartheid South Africa and seeking its destruction can be presented to the world as an equally moral cause. (From the December 2005 issue of Focus, published by The Helen Suzman Foundation)

Bedouin Muslim Israeli Diplomat Ishmael Khalidi:
For those who haven't heard, the first week in March has been designated as Israel Apartheid Week by activists who are either ill intentioned or misinformed. On American campuses, organizing committees are planning happenings to once again castigate Israel as the lone responsible party for all that maligns the Middle East. ...
My perspective is unique, both as the vice consul for Israel in San Francisco, and as a Bedouin and the highest-ranking Muslim representing the Israel in the United States. I was born into a Bedouin tribe in Northern Israel, one of 11 children, and began life as shepherd living in our family tent. I went on to serve in the Israeli border police, and later earned a master's degree in political science from Tel Aviv University before joining the Israel Foreign Ministry.
I am a proud Israeli – along with many other non-Jewish Israelis such as Druze, Bahai, Bedouin, Christians and Muslims, who live in one of the most culturally diversified societies and the only true democracy in the Middle East. Like America, Israeli society is far from perfect, but let us deals honestly. By any yardstick you choose – educational opportunity, economic development, women and gay's rights, freedom of speech and assembly, legislative representation – Israel's minorities fare far better than any other country in the Middle East.
So, I would like to share the following with organizers of Israel Apartheid week, for those of them who are open to dialogue and not blinded by a hateful ideology.
You are part of the problem, not part of the solution ... (San Francisco Chronicle, March 4, 2009)
Palestinian/Israeli journalist Khaled Abu Toameh:
The majority of these [campus anti-Israel] activists openly admit that they have never visited Israel or the Palestinian territories. They don't know – and don't want to know – that Jews and Arabs here are still doing business together and studying together and meeting with each other on a daily basis because they are destined to live together in this part of the world. They don't want to hear that despite all the problems life continues and that ordinary Arab and Jewish parents who wake up in the morning just want to send their children to school and go to work before returning home safely and happily.
What is happening on the U.S. campuses is not about supporting the Palestinians as much as it is about promoting hatred for the Jewish state. It is not really about ending the “occupation” as much as it is about ending the existence of Israel. (Hudson New York, March 24, 2009)

What makes [these activists] “pro-Palestinian”?

In their view, inciting against Israel on a university campus or publishing “anti-Zionist” material on the Internet is sufficient to earn them the title of “pro-Palestinian.” But what these folks have not realized is that their actions and words often do little to advance the interests of the Palestinians. In some instances, these actions and words are even counterproductive.

It is hard to see how organizing events such as “Israel Apartheid Week” on a university campus could help the cause of the Palestinians. Isn't there already enough anti-Israel incitement that is being spewed out of Arab and Islamic media outlets?

If anyone is entitled to be called “pro-Palestinian,” it is those who are publicly campaigning against financial corruption and abuse of human rights by Fatah and Hamas. Those who are trying to change the system from within belong to the real “pro-Palestinian” camp. (Hudson New York, Nov. 17, 2009)
Palestinian journalist Ray Hanania:
Rejectionist and extremist Palestinians and their Arab allies have launched "apartheid week" to attack Israel. Although they are a minority they have built up a mirage of public support by exploiting the unanswered anger of the majority in the Arab world.
The word apartheid does not really apply accurately to the Palestinian-Israel conflict. ...
Palestinians who support "apartheid week" do so either out of sinister hatred of Jews, or out of blind, unreasoning anger that simmers because they can't properly vent. The inability to release pent up anger empowers the rejectionist minority but stems from the failures of Palestinians and Arab leadership.
When Arabs couldn't defeat Israel, they turned toward demonization. And when demonization didn't work enough, they simply exaggerated the truth. Exaggeration is a common trait among Arabs and Israelis, too. ...
Is it "apartheid week?" Or is it really "apartheid weak"? Rather than hold celebrations that fuel a hatred of Israel around an exaggerated word like apartheid, Palestinians should instead organize rallies and conferences that call for compromise based on peace and the creation of two states. (Jerusalem Post, March 10, 2010)

Sudanese human rights activist and former child slave Simon Deng:
The State of Israel is not an apartheid state. I know because I write this from Jerusalem where I have seen Arab mothers peacefully strolling with their families – even though I also drove on Israeli roads protected by walls and fences from Arab bullets and stones. I know Arabs go to Israeli schools, and get the best medical care in the world. I know they vote and have elected representatives to the Israeli Parliament. I see street signs in Arabic, an official language here. None of this was true for blacks under Apartheid in Tutu's South Africa.
I also know countries that do deserve the apartheid label: My country, Sudan, is on the top of the list, but so are Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. What has happened to my people in Sudan is a thousand times worse than Apartheid in South Africa. And no matter how the Palestinians suffer, they suffer nothing compared to my people. Nothing. And most of the suffering is the fault of their leaders. Bishop Tutu, I see black Jews walking down the street here in Jerusalem. Black like us, free and proud. ...
Today, black children are enslaved in Sudan, the last place in the continent of Africa where humans are owned by other humans - I was part of the movement to stop slavery in Mauritania, which just now abolished the practice. But you were not with us, Bishop Tutu.
So where is Desmond Tutu when my people call out for freedom? Slaughter and genocide and slavery are lashing Africans right now. Where are you for Sudan, Bishop Tutu? You are busy attacking the Jewish state. Why? (The Jewish Advocate, Nov. 16, 2007)

Professor Robert Wistrich
The reality is that South African apartheid never had anything in common with Israeli democratic structures, with the ethos of Israeli society, or with its fundamental values. In an apartheid Israel, Muslim Arab voters and legislators could never influence the outcome of elections as they have often done in the past. The country's literary prize would have never have gone to an Arab. Road signs throughout Israel would not be indicated in Arab as well as Hebrew and English. Nor would the Jewish state open its universities to Arab students, let along permit viscerally anti-Israeli human rights organizations to operate freely within its borders. In an apartheid state, there would never be articles galore about the Zionist project being a failure—some of them written by Arabs as well as Jews. A so-called Zio-Nazi or apartheid state would hardly bother to translate hostile Palestinian authors, such as the late Edward Said, into Hebrew. Nor would such a Nazified state permit its supreme court to consistently defend the human rights of Israeli Arabs and Palestinians against army interventions or considerations of national security. (A Lethal Obsession: Anti-Semitism from Antiquity to the Global Jihad)

+1
-7
-1

haha honestly i'm not gonna read any of that...i bet you tried hard though! A+ for effort man!

+1
0
-1

It took about two seconds, just cut and paste. It's too bad that your ignorance rules over your compassion for people who were actually victims of apartheid.
As gene said:
"That two graduate students can produce an argument of such remarkably low quality, so full of holes, and so poorly reasoned should frighten anyone who looks towards academia for the betterment of society. Mss. Keilani and Wahbe should be embarrassed for themselves, but come across as far too self-righteous to recognise this."

So very true.

The two female authors of fiction make at least half a dozen mistakes i.e. lies by using isolated incidents to paint the entire nation of Israel in a negative light.

Any New Yorker could do the exact same thing by going to East Harlem or the last stop on the 2/3 lines, photographing the empty lots, shuttered storefronts, poor people using food stamps and general decrepit state of life to portray this as New York City. Of course, the people who live there would know that these images are patently false, just as the false image painted by Wahbe & Keilani is a complete lie.

Randa Wahbe and tanya "nadia" Keilani have been exposed for what they are;
‎"IAW organizers and participants are not interested in dialogue or the unfeterred exchange of ideas.... They would be revealed for exactly what they are: ideologues, fascists, religious fanatics, brainwashed, poorly informed, easily manipulated, unthinking, irrational, bigoted or any combination thereof."

+1
-3
-1

Would Palestinians really view this depiction as patently false?

+1
-4
-1
Adel Helal posted on

Your syntactic ambiguity leaves a lot to be desired. People are not specifically anti-Israeli. They are against anti-humanitarian acts. They condemn such terrorist acts like the massacre of 1300 men, women and children. Whomever is responsible is academic. Rather than criticising the people that speak up against Israeli acts, ask why they are doing so in the first place? The conspiracy that people "just hate Jews" is completely fabricated and part of the propaganda that is fed to the simple minds.

Apartheid by definition is the minority ruling over the majority based on race, without the opportunity of equal rights. That is exactly the system Israel adopts, unless you believe that an Arab could run for Israeli presidency?

Based on that you could have no argument as explained in my article:
http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

+1
+2
-1
Arafat posted on

Follow the feet not the words, i.e., if a Muslim tells you their religion is tolerant and peaceful and compassionate while every day you hear about Muslims killing it's about time you quit listening to their words and start watching their actions instead.

The following article explains why Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Black Africans, Jews, Animists, Copts, Chaldeans, Zoroastrians, Kurds, Asssyrians are all disappearing in Islamic countries.

Now tell me again, who is it who practices apartheid?

www.jihadwatch.org/2011/03/pak...

+1
-7
-1
Arafat posted on

A good place to be start would be to organize an annual “Arab Apartheid Week,” which would highlight the decrepit state of human and political rights throughout the Arab world.

There is a solid case to be made that the Arab states remain the last great outpost of despotism and tyranny on earth, and people need to be reminded as much. Indeed, the Arab world today is a living encyclopedia of outmoded forms of government, from sultanates such as Oman and emirates such as Qatar, to thuggish dictatorships such as Syria and dynastic monarchies along the lines of Jordan. It may be a political scientist’s dream, but it is a nightmare for the hundreds of millions of Arabs chafing under oppression and tyranny.

Basic and fundamental freedoms such as personal autonomy and individual rights are routinely trampled upon, and ethnic and religious minority groups suffer extreme discrimination and
intolerance. Just ask Coptic Christians in Egypt, Baha’is in Iran or Shi’ites in Saudi Arabia for starters.

This was borne out most recently by a report issued by Freedom House, the independent Washington-based group that advocates for freedom worldwide. Its annual survey, “Freedom in the World 2010,” would make for eye-opening reading for all those who cry “apartheid” whenever they see a flag with a Star of David.

Consider the following findings:

Of the 18 countries in the Middle East that Freedom House surveyed, only one is considered to be “free.”

And just who might that be? Yep, you guessed it: Israel.

Not a single Arab country – not one! – did Freedom House consider “free.” Three Arab states – Morocco, Lebanon and Kuwait – were labeled “partly free,” while 13 other Arab states as well as Iran merited the dubious distinction of being branded as “not free.”

In effect, then, this means that of the approximately 370 million human beings currently residing in the Middle East, only 2 percent enjoy true freedom – namely those who live in the Jewish state.

So much for “Israeli apartheid.”

NOT SURPRISINGLY, in a press release announcing the report’s publication, Freedom House concluded that “the Middle East remained the most repressive region in the world.” It is this message that Israel and its supporters need to begin highlighting. By casting a spotlight on the subjugation, oppression and tyranny that typify nearly the entire Arab world, we can open some eyes out there and educate the Western public as to who really shares their democratic values.

As Prof. Bernard Lewis has written, the Arab states are little more than “a string of shabby tyrannies, ranging from traditional autocracies to new-style dictatorships, modern only in their apparatus of repression and indoctrination.”

An annual Arab Apartheid Week, held on campuses and at community centers, could be an effective vehicle for driving home this fundamental truth.

Doing so will reframe the debate. More importantly, it will help Westerners to finally begin recognizing the Arab regimes for what they are: a dangerous mix of despotism and dictatorship.

+1
0
-1

You mean the Arab regimes with which Zionism has worked hand-in-glove for decades, which the United States has backed for at least as long, and whose downfalls now have both wetting themselves? Are those the ones?

Your talking points are as antiquated as your racist ideology. If you aspire to be anything other than a laughingstock, you really should ask your paymasters (http://rinf.com/alt-news/contr... for some new ones.

Oh, and Iran isn't an Arab country. Why Zionists try talking about matters of which they are so obviously ignorant, I'll never know.

+1
0
-1

"Arafat" clearly distinguishes Iran from an Arab state when he says "13 Arab States AS WELL AS Iran." Had he said 13 arab states iINCLUDING Iran, you would have a legit argument (although the argument you made spits in the face of a what should be considered a convincing, relevant argument), but this is a sad attempt to do what people always do in response to these arguments, try and find any little thing wrong with what they said and utilize it to show the other person's "lack of knowledge." What it really shows is that you just have an inherent dislike of Israel. To this, I say thee nay.

+1
0
-1
Adel Helal posted on

No one has an inherent dislike to Israel. Why do people like you keep trying to flatter yourself with ideas of Arab envy or blind thurst for the blood of the Jews. Arabs are humans just like you are. There are reasons for their frustrations because of the "actions" of Israelis, not of Israelis themselves. If you trully want to know why Arabs have a justified reason for being frustrated with Israeli actions (just like Jews were with the actions taken upon them during the Nazi regime) then check this link out so you can understand the situation a little better than your simple minded reasons:

http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

Otherwise, keep making yourself believe whetever you want to believe.

+1
+3
-1

I don't know what else to way other than the fact that you just sent me a link to a blog that is so clearly anti-israel. The factual basis of that article is nowhere to be found, as it is based solely on you're opinions. Also, it has come to my attention that you are the creator of the blog, that you write EVERY article for the blog, and that you have ONE person following it (yourself). Must be a really credible source. Do some looking around. Get your head out of the gutter and take the time to see the issue from both sides please. You're arrogance is astounding.

+1
-2
-1
Adel Helal posted on

It is based on a collection of arguments and facts. If you believe that the events of 1967 didnt actually happen, then enlighten me with your own history.

There are plenty of references from a link off that article of the Quotes of the founders of Zionism that illustrate the intentions of the Zionist movement:
http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

Just because they are found on my blog doesnt mean they are false.
The problem is you are so used to seeing it from one side and refuse to see the argument from an Arab's perspective. How can you expect peace if you havent looked at it in our eyes?

I have only written this article based on perspectives from both sides. Just because the conclusion does not satisfy your radical ideas, doesn't make it illegitimate.

+1
-7
-1

Speaking of "try and find any little thing wrong with what they said and utilize it to show the other person's 'lack of knowledge'".......

Um, you still didn't refer to the fact "Glasshouses" made about those Arab regimes Israel has been flirting with for years.

+1
+6
-1

Some serious questions to ask these mentally deranged apartheid accusers:

When was 'Arab' Palestine founded?

Who were the Arab forefathers/founders of "Palestine"?

What was the capital of "palestine"?

Why did Arabs ally themselves with Nazis in the 1930's & 1940's later attacking Jews during Operation Atlas in an attempt to poison 250,000 people in Tel Aviv?

Why was the PLO created in Egypt, by Egyptians in 1964, before "occupation"?

What was the name of the Palestinian currency backed by an Arab bank?

What was its exchange rate at any date in history against the dollar, pound or franc?
(Note: the Palestine pound was issued by the British and had Hebrew writing on it as EVERY piece of currency husband does in Israel)

Why did Turkish rioters attempt to bring convicted terrorists such as Erdinc Tekir, Raed Salah, and others into Israel on a ship to Gaza which wasn't even carrying humanitarian aid?
(The mavi marmara and 3 other ships in the flotilla farce only carried passenger luggage and absolutely no humanitarian aid!)

Answer every question accurately and I will pay $100,000 CASH!

+1
-2
-1
Adel Helal posted on

These questions are too simplistic and remove the argument from the bigger picture. If you trully want your questions answered, read the following article:

http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

Oh and by the way, the flotilla incident has been cited by so many institutions regarding WHO were on the boats and WHAT was being transported. You cant seriously be that delusional to actually consider it a farce when the entire international community has condemned Israel's acts on those boats. You are actually helping the cause against Israeli policies, when you show that their radical regimes have supporters that make blind comments like yours.

+1
+1
-1

My questions prove the Palestinian myth is just that. That series of questions is the quickest way to shut up a delusional individual who falsely believes that "arab Palestine" ever existed! Thank you for illustrating this with your non-answer.

It's funny when a cop-out like yours says the questions are "too simplistic". Apparently they are so simple that your simple mind can't come up with a single coherent answer. Any individual with a decent IQ can easily answer these questions if the word "palestine" was replaced with "ireland, France, USA, Mexico, India, etc."

Regarding the flotilla farce, here's a short list of the convicted terrorists and members of banned terrorist groups who were on board the Mavi marmara (which had ZERO humanitarian aid onboard, easily discovered with a Google search)

1) Erdinç Tekir – IHH operative wounded aboard the Mavi Marmara, was involved in the violent 1996 terrorist attack on the Russian ferry Avrasya to bargain for the release of Chechen terrorists from Russian prisons . He was convicted & sentenced to eight years in prison, but served only 3 years.
2) Raed Salah- Leader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel, previously convicted by Israeli court for raising money for Hamas
3) Hilarion Capucci -Syrian convicted by an Israeli court of smuggling arms to the Palestine Liberation Army and sentenced to 12 years in prison. Capucci was a Vatican bishop at the time of his running guns and explosives for the PLO, from Lebanon to the West Bank, in his official Mercedes while the PLO was massacring Christians in towns like Damour.

4) Hassan Aynsey (28), a member of a Turkish charity association, regularly transfers funds to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist group.
5)Hussein Orush, from the Turkish IHH organization, intended to assist al-Qaeda activists into the Strip via Turkey.
6) Ahmed Omemun (51) from Morocco, who also has French citizenship, is a Hamas member.
7) Amin Abu-Rashid, 43, chief fundraiser of Hamas in Western Europe
8) Yasser Muhammed Sabag, Syrian intel officer working with Iran and others according to Serbian news agency FOCUS (He was an active member of Abu Nidal terrorist organization)

I wonder what 'simplistic' responses this post will garner...o

+1
-2
-1
Adel Helal posted on

Your questions are a waist of time and dont add any relevent argument to the topic of the Israeli Apartheid, but I will amuse myself anyway.

1. There is no such thing as "Arab" Palestine. There are Phillistines and Canaanites, which werent Arabs or Jews. While the original Jews (Jacob's sons) came back from Egypt they found inhabitants in the region. These inhabitants were mixed an inter-mingled. The original Semites (which became Arabs, Jews, Aramaic and Phoenician) lived side by side for thousands of years.
For the last 800 years, generally speaking land was shared in harmony, up until the last 60 years, when genocide and massacres were relentless.... I wonder what happened at that point in time to change the balance of harmony???

2. "Palastine" was actually the name the British Mandate created because of the inhabitants of the land that already lived there before they colonized. The Middle East called them Phillistines, Britons called them Palestinians and saw fit to call the land Palestine.

3. I don't see the point of this question as there were many tribes in the region. There was a central focal point of the region in Jerusalem. That was the central hub of migration and trade. So in context of your modern day "capital", Jerusalem would be it. I think you are missing the point here. The emphasis is on the "original inhabitants" and not the man-made lines you find drawn in atlases and google maps. I'm sure you have an appreciation for the history of human civilisation to understand that.

4. The major allies to the Nazis in the "Axis Powers" were the following (though i dont know why you wouldn't already know this)
- Germany
- Japan
- Italy
- Hungary
- Romania
- Bulgaria
- Yugoslavia
- Finland
- Iraq
- Thailand

Apart from Iraq, there were no other Arabs in the alliance.
Palestinians wanted to war against Britain to remove the British Mandate and occupation of the region, and were therefore against the Western Alliance. That doesnt mean that they supported the Nazi ideology. Dont forget Hitler wanted to remove ALL that were "un-pure". That included Jews, Arabs, Muslims, Homosexuals, and even half breeds.
Your attempt to find a correlation between Arabs and Nazis is poor, and doesnt even compare to the point that although Western Alliance included Communist Russia (USSR) they were the arch enemies of the United States for most of the 20th Century.

5. You are wrong. PLO was officially established in East Jerusalem. Because of the attempts made by Israelis to illegitemise any organisation that Palestinians tried to establish, Nasser of Egypt helped them by allowing the organisation to be properly represented in a safe haven (Egypt) to allow it to grow to be officially recognised as an independent entity. Had that not happened, the PLO would have disolved because Palestinians were scattered without opportunities to flourish.

6. There was no "Arab bank" that backed the Palestinian currency. When the Palestinians were protected by the Ottoman empire for centuries it was the Turkish currency, then it was the Palestinian Pound during the British Mandate.
This does not deny the existance of Arab Palestinians. The need to establish a land called "Palestine" has come about in modern times because Israelis are failing to give protection to the original inhabitants of the region. They have stolen the land and made their own independent state against international law.
The land that surrounded Jerusalem, Hebron, Tel-Aviv was a perfect example of a hub of civilisation that needed no man-made borders, until Britain and subsequently the iron fist of Zionism created one to separate the entire region and create chaos.

7. Since the answer to the prevous question was "There was no "Arab bank", this question is no longer relevant.

8. Simply "Googling" your results to this shows your simple-minded disregard for factual knowledge.
There are overwhelming sources that state the flotillas were carrying humanitarian aid and construction materials.
At least three of the German passengers were members of parliament, Swedish novelist Mankell as also on board, and Arab national legislatures, as well as a Nobel Peace Lauriet.
The leader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel Raed Salah who is not a terrorist because Hamas is a democratically elected governing body (regardless of whether I agree with them or not).
I'm sure in Israel's eyes there are a lot of political prisoners they can brandish as terrorists, but then again the largest political prisoners today are the Israeli government for the illegal occupation of Palestinian land.
One could argue that in the eyes of the International Community, Israel is a criminal state.
The point is, the flotillas were full of unarmed civilians and under the 4th Geneva Convention the Israeli government is guilty of war crimes.

What dont you understand about the annexation of Palestinian land?
Palestinians are currently finding it hard to get any clean water, let alone flour to make bread, no sustainable medical supplies and the rest of the world wants to help them... yet you ask such ignorant questions.

Just as ignorant as Golda Meirs who quoted "How can we return the occupied territories? There is nobody to return them to." [Golda Meir, March 8, 1969.]

So... where is my $100,000?

+1
-2
-1

What do those bullshit questions have to do with reality? LIKE PRESENT-DAY REALITY.

+1
+1
-1

Who are Jews anyway? The definition is so obscure and to say one group of people has the right to take land from others based on that definition is inhumane. Plus I'm pretty sure the Kingdom of Israel, fragmented and inhabited by other tribes who didn't speak Hebrew, only lasted about 100 years.

Jerusalem was always meant to be the capital of Palestine and was discussed as early as the 19th century, right about the time Zionists were thinking of packing up and moving to Uganda. Haha. Anyway, imperialist powers were supposed to help liberate the Palestinians from the Ottoman Empire and gain sovereignty but, being imperialists and all, decided to double deal and see which would be most profitable. Since imperialism is a racist system, support for Zionism seemed like a good idea since, you know, they didn't want Jews entering the country anyway (Britain). By the way, was there a Holocaust in the Middle East too?

Mufti was an asshole. I'm assuming that's who you're referring to. But you didn't mention the Palestinians who saved many of their Palestinian Jewish neighbors....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...

The PLO was created in order to ensure self-determination and the right of return- both rights under international law.

I know who the Israeli forefathers were and how Israel was founded! Through pillaging villages and expelling native inhabitants - just go read the Constitution ahem oh wait there isn't one....I meant Ben-Gurion's diary.

+1
+1
-1
Casey Arnoldt posted on

Zionists support the Saudi regime that seeks to destroy them, or Syria or Iran? Please tell me you're kidding me?!

+1
0
-1

have you looked at a newspaper recently? also, do you know what apartheid is?

+1
-1
-1

Apartheid as defined by Websters: Racial segregation and/or religious discrimination.

This means that every country with an islamic government is apartheid
This means that most Arab nations are also apartheid based on their government sanctioned laws against non-muslims.

This brings up an important point, do "Palestinians" in American colleges understand the English language?
They sure as hell don't know the definitions of apartheid, genocide or colonization because they never use these words correctly.

+1
+1
-1

First, the authors of the article are Palestinians. Minus the scare quotes.

When defining apartheid, one doesn't go to an everyday reference dictionary like Webster's. You should at least shoot for the OED, if you're going to use a dictionary. For legal/political terms like apartheid goes to UN and other international legal definitions thereof.

I hasted to add that your comma placement after "important point" is incorrect. Do "you" know how to use the English language?

+1
-3
-1

The OED definition would verify that ALL 57 Islamic governments practice apartheid and even have laws that sanction this racism.

How can the authors be "palestinian" when Nadia claims that both are Americans. Neither one being an immigrant. Please explain that one. Maybe American Jews should start calling themselves Israelites?

+1
+1
-1

Except that being Jewish and American has nothing to do with Israel or Zionism. If we wanted to live in your apartheid state, we'd move there. Which we have the "right" to do based on birth, while Palestinians have been driven from their land for decades. While the Israelis continue building illegal settlements, their victim act doesn't travel one inch beyond the true believers.

Secular democracy? Sounds good to me. And a ton of anti-arab ranting won't change that for a second. I'm not afraid of democracy in the Arab world — nothing is more inspiring. No wonder the Zionists are messing their pants in fear of Mubarak's downfall.

Just remember: I'm Jewish enough to move to Israel despite my atheism and Ohio birth. Palestinians who hold legal title to land in what calls itself the "Jewish state" are forbidden by force of arms from returning. Until that is rectified, plesae spare us the concern with what "the Arabs" are doing. Secular democracy works for everyone. We could demilitarize the whole region. And you could worship whatever gods you want. You just can't insist that millions of Christians and Muslims and non-believers disappear for your "Jewish state". The cost is just too damn high.

+1
+1
-1

Arabs have been systematically slaughtering Jewish civilians since the 1920's in organized attacks often backed by Islamic teachings in the Koran. This genocide against the Jewish people in the middle east would have occurred if not for the creation of Israel. Arab "palestinians" were murdering Jews in the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's and early 1960's. All of this happened prior to the so-called occupation. So its no surprise that there are checkpoints and a fence of which a small portion includes a concrete wall to prevent sniper attacks. Discussing the Arab-Israeli conflict without mentioning symptoms (palestinian terrorism) that require treatment is like getting mad at a doctor who gave your aunt chemotherapy to destroy a fast-moving cancer. The terrorism backed by Islamic ideology from the dark ages is the cancer, NOT Arab people.

Democracy and Islamic society are diametrically opposed.

True free speech does not exist in Muslim nations, and this was clearly illustrated by the Mohammed cartoons:
http://zombietime.com/mohammed...

Any clear-headed human knows that true democracy can never co-exist with Islam. Islam is a political movement which seeks to convert, subjugate and kill anyone or anything non-Muslim.

Read Simon Deng:
http://philosemitism.blogspot....

This is a man that knows how Islam treats the "infidel". Slavery still exists in many Muslim nations, and it was only outlawed in Saudi Arabia in the 1960's.

Muslims and Christians CAN move to Israel and become citizens. The myth that only Jews are allowed is false and outdated.

Hirsi Ali and other prominent former Muslims know this. Why don't you?
http://www.citizenwarrior.com/...

+1
-1
-1

Go Jed, Go Jed, go go!

+1
+10
-1

You are a patronizing close-minded jerk—according to your comments, Palestinians are dumb and should be treated like shit. Your not smart just because you can look up a word in the dictionary. Get over yourself .

+1
+2
-1

Your response is a typical leftist reply which makes outrageous allegations about something I have never written. You claim that I said "palestinians are dumb and should be treated like shit". All of my comments are still here and clearly you came up with that one, not me.

Opening a dictionary and looking up a word does not show intelligence. However, knowing what words mean and having an IQ over 165 absolutely does!

(I really don't care about a minor grammatical error with a comma, but for one to begin understanding that apartheid does not exist in Israel, one must have a firm grip on the meanings of words, especially the English language)

+1
-1
-1

HAHA slow down Princess....just because you're a genius doesn't mean you're not a racist. Hitler was technically a genius too!

+1
-3
-1

Do Zionists understand English are they all confused with warped, Europeanized standard Hebrew? The authors, who are Palestinian-Americans actually, cite NON-Palestinians at the beginning of the article who call Israel an apartheid state. There are even (gasp!) South African Jews and Holocaust survivors who call Israel an apartheid state.

Not every country with an Islamic government is apartheid but like Israel, it is indeed a theocracy. All of you hasbara trolls need to work on your deflection tactics.

+1
+2
-1

You think the writers of this article, or the people of the Middle East support these dictators? On the contrary, we are on our way to ousting them one by one! Have you not read the news lately? However, Israel has worked with these dictators for years, and the United States has propped them up in order to keep them there. Now, ask yourself who really wants these dictators in power? Certainly not the Arab people. Second, not all Arabs are the same! Must we say it again? Palestinians are not responsible for what happens Saudi Arabia, just as much as Venezuelans are not responsible for what happens in Argentina. .

+1
-4
-1

Islamic Apartheid Week makes a lot more sense. That way you include all 21 Arab countries, the Palestinian government and 30+ other Islamic regimes.

If see a sign that says "Israel Apartheid Week" just slap a sticker reading "Islamic" over Israel. Simple, effective, and most importantly honest.

+1
-3
-1

Your deflection tactic is flawed for a couple of reasons. Firstly, and most hilariously, you are inadvertently affirming that Israel is indeed an apartheid state but that oh wait, so are the other countries in the Middle East too! Duh. Secondly, you forget that Israel along with the US has been a longtime backer of these oppressive Arab regimes which brings me to my third point: you assume that members of C-SJP are great advocates of these regimes and try to stifle discussions about them. Besides all this, it's clear that these Arab regimes are only in power because of their funding from Western countries and initially, imperialism.

+1
-2
-1

Ooooh you showed me! Haha wtf is this highfalutin, theoretical bullshit? Am i supposed to wave this around somewhere? Maybe during the next raid on Gaza I'll tell them to stop projecting their hatred, maybe then an airstrike will steer clear!

Speaking of Goebbels, Zionists should stop projecting their trauma on the rest of the world, especially Palestinians (i.e. ghettoes, Nuremberg-based citizenship laws, etc).

Last time I checked a mirror (five minutes ago of course) I didn't see a Muslim or an Islamist....probably don't know any Islamists either...but I do see a young Carrie Bradshaw.

+1
0
-1

Smells like a red herring to me.

+1
0
-1

"C-SJP’s objective in hosting international Israeli Apartheid Week is not to debate whether Israel is practicing apartheid, as this is a fact already substantiated by the international community"

Actually it is substantiated by the BDS community, who might not realize that much of the rest of the world disagrees. But the former wouldn't know, because they refuse to listen....

+1
0
-1

Um....ummm....ummmmmmmmm can I go now? Yeah thanks. The BDS community, filled with different ideologies and opinions about BDS, supports the call to BDS because Palestinians asked. Over 170 civil unions in Palestine asked for global solidarity for the BDS movement.

"Much of the rest of the world" also thinks Israel is a pariah state. But I guess you side with global opinion when it best suits your argument.

+1
+4
-1

More ridiculous propaganda from the SJP as usual. Maybe if you guys started doing stuff that makes you look a little less extremist people would pay attention to your 'cause'.

And by the way, the mock wall is old news!

+1
+1
-1

So's your lame ass argument.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

GlassHouses,

Like the state of the art, multi-million dollar galss greenhouses Israel built in Gaza? You know, the ones Hamas destroyed in a day? Hamas, always doing what's right for the people, or, is that always doing what's right for Islam?

Anyway, back to apartheid. This one is for Glasshouses because he is so open to hearing opposing viewpoints.

www.spme.net/cgi-bin/articles....

+1
-3
-1

You mean the greenhouses that weren't destroyed at all, although some were looted by impoverished residents, and which (if they haven't since been bombed by the Zionists) still stand?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/...

What am I supposed to see at your link? Stupid, transparent misinformation, like claims that "within a short space of time ten thousand missiles, fired from the vacated territory [Gaza], rained down on Israel’s civilians in the southern part of the nation," without mentioning which party actually broke the bilateral ceasefire? (I'll give you a hint: it wasn't anybody in Gaza.)

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n02/h...

Why don't you pass they keyboard to one of the more advanced members of your Internet hasbara brigade? Maybe he can at least come up with some lie that will take more than five seconds of Googling to disprove.

+1
-5
-1

Just out of curiosity, where are all the refugees in Gaza from?

I'm sure if they were to return home everyone would be happy. Right?

+1
+2
-1
Arafat posted on

Jeb,

The world is nothing but refugees. My family came to America as refugees. Israel's population soared due to Jewish refugees fleeing Iraq, Morocco, Yemen and Algeria. Non-Muslims in Sudan are flooding into neighboring countries thanks to Muslim violence. Iraqi Christians are flooding into anywhere that will take them to avoid Muslim violence. Buddhists in southern Thailand are fleeing their homes to avoid Muslim violence. Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh are fleeing their homes thanks to Muslim violence. Christians throughout the Middle East fled from the violent expansion of Islam throughout the 7th through to the 11th century. The story of mankind is in large part the story of refugees.

Tough luck about the Palestinians, but that said there has never, ever been such a hoopla made out of a refugee group like what has been made out of the Palestinians. Never.

Israel flung open its doors for the Jewish refugees fleeing Muslim violence. Israel has also opened its doors to some Darfur refugees too. Why is it not one single Muslim country will allow Palestinians to become citizens? Why? Why is it Palestinians have more freedoms in Israel than any Muslims have in their own countries? Tell me what makes the Palestinian refugees so unique? What makes their plight worthy of the spotlight while the Sudanese refugees are gang-raped, starved to death and victims of genocide yet they get so little attention both from the UN as well as from the rest of the world. Why is that?

+1
+3
-1

And I'm pretty sure the last place Iraqi Christians want to go is Israel, whose population also "soared" because a lot of Russian human-traffickers and mob bosses pretended they were Jewish (which again means what exactly?). Israel did a great job with Arab Jewish refugees too - I know a few Moroccan Jews who left Israel because of the discrimination they face there. Let's not forget that Israel also payed some of these Arab governments to send their Jewish citizens over in order to build their labor force and prevent Palestinians from having jobs.

Why don't you talk about Christian European violence? If Muslim violence was so awful, why have Christian and Jewish communities persisted throughout centuries....oh wait till the recent "violent expansionism" of Israel. Again was there a Holocaust in the Muslim Middle East? No. Speaking of that hoopla you mentioned I've never seen such one made about anything other than the Holocaust......

Maybe the plight of the Palestinians is a "hot topic" because Israel has been the longest occupation in modern history...and yet is the only one that makes itself out to be a victim.

Speaking of those Sudanese refugees, have you seen this? http://www.haaretz.com/print-e...

+1
-3
-1

Haha why do you keep bringing up Ibrahim's articles as if I give a shit. As a Christian-raised atheist, your buddy Ibrahim and whatever nonsense Islamists spew are not only similar, but still do not mean anything in the context of what people are talking about: human rights violations against Palestinians in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza perpetrated by the Israeli government. So get a clue and get off Ibrahim's nuts if you wanna learn anything.

+1
-5
-1

Oh and if you wanted to bring up the jizya tax, if you even know about it, in the context of history...it's a lot better than getting slaughtered along the Rhine don't you think?

+1
0
-1

There's anti-semitism everywhere, just as there is islamophobia, racism against black people, etc. What's persistent about you, much like herpes, is your need to justify human rights violations with rinkydink articles written by a bunch of Islamophobic nobodies.

+1
+2
-1

Actually I didn't compare Islam to Hitler, I compared the treatment of minorities in Christian Europe and Muslim Middle East over history. I'm not really interested in these Stormfront-like websites either. I like facts, lots of them. But your link suggests to me that you'd rather have a tea party Hitler than Muhammad.

+1
-4
-1

At least today, the C-SJP was paired with an op-ed by one from a pro-Israel group. Remember last semester when C-SJP published a bunch of editorials in the Spec, only to give the other side a little bit of room for weak responses like a week later? When you compare the two ideologies side-by-side, it is clear that one (Matthew Jacobs) has offered an evaluative, intellectual look at the issue, while the other (C-SJP) is too black-and-white for it to have any pertinence to public debate. Even if Israel did commit human rights atrocities, C-SJP works against its cause by delivering a credo full of extremist goals and rhetoric.

+1
+1
-1
Arafat posted on

Glasshouse,

I'm glad you're so open to additional information refuting the apartheid lie while illustrating how Islamic is inherently prejudicial and supremacist (practices apartheid). (By the way, why is Saudi Arabia 100% Muslim? Is that apartheid or just chance?)

•Like other derogatory terms that rely on their ability to appeal to people’s emotions, using the word “apartheid” to describe the situation in Israel is factually inaccurate.
On a literal level, the word “apartheid” suggests certain practices. While there is no doubt that prejudices exist, the claim that Israelis ascribe to or practice ethnic supremacy over Palestinians is simply incorrect. Compare what children are being taught in the schools of the West Bank and Gaza to those in Israel. The Israeli education system is politically neutral and operates in an egalitarian environment, teaching subjects such as math, history and language. In contrast, in numerous Arab curriculums and textbooks, it is commonplace to teach hatred of Israel and of Jews specifically.
The false parallel that some students have deliberately drawn between the racist and discriminatory laws in South Africa to those of modern day Israel is flawed. During the apartheid in South Africa, the white minority ruled over a large black majority with strict segregation laws while denying equal rights and opportunities. Blacks were not allowed entry to white-only trains, beaches and hospitals — no such segregation exists in Israel.
Roughly 20 percent of the population in Israel is Arab and enjoys the exact same legal rights and opportunities as Jewish neighbors, including the right to vote, to live and to work. Additionally, Arabs hold numerous positions in the Israeli Knesset legislature and other governmental bodies, including the judiciary.
The inaccuracy of the comparison additionally demeans the plight of the millions of oppressed black South Africans who endured the brutal and unequal system of real apartheid. Certainly, it is true that Palestinian Arabs living in the West Bank and Gaza are not Israeli citizens — nor do they wish to be. Instead, Gazan Palestinians live under the brutal terrorist regime of Hamas, which systematically liquidates political opponents, suppresses free speech and oppresses its women. No Jewish-Palestinian segregation exists in Gaza; no Jews live there following the withdrawal of the Israeli Defense Forces. Meanwhile, a historically corrupt and oppressive Palestinian Liberation Organization rules in the West Bank, but is now struggling toward building elements of a democratic society.
Many cite Israel’s security fence as proof of an “apartheid” system. But the Israeli government built the security barrier in 2006 as a measure to prevent terrorists from infiltrating Israel, not as an attempt to disadvantage Palestinians. The statistics speak for themselves: Between 2001 and 2003, before the security barrier was built, terrorists infiltrating from the West Bank and Gaza murdered 399 Israeli citizens. During the next two years, when the wall was partially built, the number of murdered citizens was significantly reduced to 78. In 2008, only one such death was recorded.
This attack on Israel is also curious considering the rampant political, religious and gender-based oppression that exists in the Palestinian territories. Here, women are not allowed to vote — in fact, Israel is one of two countries in the Middle East in which women can vote at all (the other being Iraq). Palestinian officials make no effort to protect women from domestic violence, homosexuals are often tortured, beaten and killed and the Christian minority in the West Bank has been persecuted for decades.
Moreover, it is interesting that these students choose to target Israel when Palestinians suffer far greater legal discrimination at the hands of Muslim “Brothers” in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Many are denied political and employment rights. Additionally, the number of Muslims suffering for deviating from the “true path” in Africa, Iraq, Afghanistan and India is many multiple times greater. Have students decried these atrocities as well, or is the actual focus of the protests on Emory’s campus to defame Israel?
Distorting facts and propagating hatred against Israel will not save lives, promote democracy or bring peace to the Middle East. These misguided tactics, particularly the use of inflammatory misnomers such as “apartheid,” work against the millions of Israelis and Palestinians who together want and deserve peace. Passionate students on campus — as well as interested members of the media and blogosphere — should strive to engage one another in a productive and respectful discourse. Promoting the sharpening of emotional divides, on the other hand, only prevents the dialogue from moving forward.

+1
-2
-1

You might have thought to at least replace "Emory" with "Columbia," but never mind that. I hope you won't mind if I take reports from the Human Rights Watch and the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination on the glaring disparities in the Zionist educational system a little more seriously than your sloppy, copy-and-paste hasbara claims about how "[t]he Israeli education system is politically neutral and operates in an egalitarian environment."

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/200...
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/...

"The inaccuracy of the comparison additionally demeans the plight of the millions of oppressed black South Africans who endured the brutal and unequal system of real apartheid."

Funny how actual black South Africans seem to think the opposite, no? I guess it's a good thing the Internet hasbara brigade's around to show them the error of their ways!

http://www.rabble.ca/news/2010...

Can't you come up with some lie that's at least a little challenging? I feel like I'm being cheated here!

+1
-2
-1

Why do I care what Bernstein thinks of an organization that outgrew his limited vision decades ago? (That said, unlike Zionist racists like yourself, and despite your slanderous lies about him, he has never denigrated the faiths of others, here or anywhere else.)

+1
-3
-1
Arafat posted on

I guess what GlassHouse is really saying is that the evolution of the UN into a Islamic supremacist institution is his idea of an improvement in its "limited vision".

Does anyone else get the impression GlassHouse is getting backed into a corner and is sounding more and more desperate and more and more childish in his comments?

This must be GlassHouse's idea of a more fully formed UN:

freethoughtnation.com/contribu...

+1
-4
-1

Bernstein founded HRW, not the UN. You would know this if you were bothering to click on your own links, rather than copying and pasting them from a hasbara cheat sheet. You would also be aware of what he said, and what he did not say, like anything about Islam or Muslims. My God, you're bad at this! I'm tempted to ask rhetorically just how incompetent you are, but I actually hope you'll continue to demonstrate the answer for us. It's like passing a car crash, where you can't help but look ...

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

GlassHouse,

This has gotten beyond silly at this point. Let's get back to the basics, i.e., apartheid.

A simple question...does the following sound like the words of an aprtheid-loving, genocidal maniac to you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT0_Ny...

+1
0
-1

"This has gotten beyond silly at this point."

I could not possibly agree more.

"Let's get back to the basics"

For you, "the basics" of Israeli apartheid apparently include speeches given by British subjects at small gatherings in the United Kingdom. But then, I think we've established that you're not a clever person.

With that, I'm off - unfortunately, nobody's paying me to spread propaganda on the Internet. (Although, if I'm ever inclined to go merc, I couldn't be much worse at it than this current bunch! ;-)

+1
-2
-1
Arafat posted on

Sounds good. I'm out of here too, but before leaving I'll leave you with a video of a Muslim imam spreading hate, apartheid and genocide-like words to a borader audience, i.e., on TV.

Hope you enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X8dhr...

+1
0
-1

Yes, we all get it. You're a racist who hates and fears Muslims (and has presumably never heard of Palestinian Christians). You also imagine that a picture of women in niqabs, from some undetermined place in the world, is a reasonable argument about Zionist racism and discrimination in Palestine. And as for members of militant organizations holding guns, what in God's name is your point? That they aren't Gandhian pacifists? You could have just said that, and nobody would have disagreed, but then, neither is the IDF or the US Army.

All I can say is, the Internet hasbara brigade is in dire straits these days. The Israeli job market must be humming for them to resort to hiring someone of your aptitude.

+1
-2
-1
Arafat posted on

It didn't take long for GlassHouse to pull out the racist card. This always happens when Muslim apologists cannot defend their positions, because the facts do not support their position. So they're left with attempting to delegitimizing their oponent instead. Hmmm...sounds just like what they are doing to Israel. Goebbels anyone?

Anyway, the following link is to racists just like me!

http://www.topix.com/forum/rel...

+1
+1
-1

Well, yes, it actually is. And if anyone reading this is convinced by the vile, contemptible bigotry you espouse so much more readily than your fellow Zionists, your side's welcome to 'em.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

Muslim apologist like GlassHouse ultimately all end up playing the race card because the facts work against their absurd opinions, and anyone with a command of the facts knows this and utilize them to make them look like the anti-Semites they simply are.

Here is another article illustrating that I am not a racist. I am a realist and GlassHouse cannot stand, nor defend against, this fact.

freethoughtnation.com/contribu...

+1
+3
-1

Notice that this racist moron is the only one who has mentioned Islam, except in passing as a response. But keep it up! You're making every point I might hope to establish about your side, far better than I could ...

+1
+2
-1
Arafat posted on

There goes GlassHouse repeating the "racist moron" mantra.

The following article describes what GlassHouse is trying to do, albeit very unsuccessfully:

townhall.com/columnists/michae...

+1
-3
-1
Arafat posted on

Finally, Glasshouse, are the following pictures indicative of people who might believe apartheid (or, more accurately genocide) is their real goal?

I ask because you come across as such an unbiased, objective and knowledgeable source. sarc/off

www.jihadwatch.org/2011/01/peo...

+1
+3
-1

on point

+1
0
-1

that was an informative comment!

+1
+1
-1

So was yours!

+1
0
-1

stop bringing up other arab countries you morons. yes, they are not democracies, and yes they are not free. okay, got it. does that not make israel an apartheid? please stay on topic.

+1
+1
-1

The middle east is the topic, if you can't handle the truth about Islamic apartheid.... get out of this country!

+1
-1
-1

Dear Genius,
I guess for me the topic is your monumental stupidity and douchebaggery. And I am still struggling to handle the truth about that! But I guess I will still stay in this country, despite your command. So what's your next move?

+1
+1
-1

once again, the middle east is not the topic. it is israeli apartheid as the title suggests, or rather, explicitly states.

ahh yes i bet you would like to oust me from my country. after all, it's an idea deeply ingrained in your zionist philosophy.

+1
-1
-1

If you can't handle FACTS, current ones especially you can take it up with Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, the Goldstone Report, and (surprisingly!) the United Nations. These facts are too glaring for your week as arguments. By the way, what Islamic apartheid?

+1
-3
-1

US keeps bringing Muslim immigrants like these two who contribute nothing to society and spew their anti-Semitic, anti-israel garbage and this is what we can expect....

+1
+1
-1

I'm one of the writers of this op-ed. A few points: One: Neither of us are immigrants, we were both born and raised here. Two: We are actually not both Muslim. There are Christian Palestinians, you know... Three: Why don't you try and criticize something substantial in the article, rather than attack the background you wrongly assume we have?

+1
+1
-1
Arafat posted on

Nadia,

Why is it Muslims can never take the blame for anything? Hamas is elected to power in Gaza and it's Israel's fault. You understand, don't you, that Muslims actually want a free and democratic government based on our Bill of Rights, don't you, but Israel and America won't let them have it.

Hold up this mirror and you will see your own reflection:

www.jihadwatch.org/2009/07/doc...

+1
+2
-1

your question is a terrible and silly thing to ask. what exactly are you asking all muslims to take the blame for? surely all jews are not to blame for deir yassin.

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

I'm asking Muslims to stop blaming everyone else for their self-induced problems.
The following article is typical of Muslims: Blame everything on America, Israel, colonialists or imperialists (typical of leftists too) but never place the blame on the real problem, i.e., the stifling, sadistic religion/political system called Islam.
***************************

Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh on Tuesday accused Israel and the United States of fomenting anti-regime revolts throughout the Arab world and attempting to destabilize his country.

"There is an operations rooms in Tel Aviv with the aim of destabilizing the Arab world," Saleh said as he gave a speech at Sanaa University. He explained that the "operations room" is "run by the White House."

+1
+1
-1

Islam doesn't install checkpoints or build settlements in occupied territory. Nor did it force Knesset members to draft at least 20 laws explicitly discriminating against its Palestinian citizens. ETC ETC ETC

By the way, "typical of Muslims?" Typical of a Zionist to assume all critics of Israel are anti-semitic/Muslim/Middle Eastern/Arab/Persian/Goebbels. These arguments are shit.

+1
+2
-1

Was the Holocaust a self-induced Jewish problem? Is ALL anti-semitism SELF-INDUCED?

I'm not a bigot, so my answer would be................no, not at all.

+1
0
-1

Well, it is a FACT now that the US and Israel DID support Hamas, for reasons due to Islamism, in order to rival the popular secular Palestinian political parties.

What the US and Israel didn't want was for Hamas to actively challenge the Israeli government, besides trying to build infrastructure and Gaza. That's probably why many Palestinians elected Hamas to power. (P.S. though I know someone in Gaza and he thinks Hamas stinks!)

+1
0
-1

Hi Nadia,

In every society, culture or nation there are leaders who stand out. I can name half a dozen Native American leaders from Squanto to Sitting Bull as well as their contributions to this nation, despite the fact.that they did not have sovereign government. The same is true for other nations such as Afghanistan, China, France, Israel and Switzerland. I know that wealthy Arab families named the Nashabibis, Nusseibehs and Husseini all sold land to Jews in the early 20th century due to meticulously kept records. However for at least ten years I've been trying to find the answer to the following serious questions:

1) Who founded Arab Palestine and when?
2) Why was the PLO created by Egypt and run by Egyptians like Arafat?
3) Why did 500,000 Arabs move to Israel between 1932-1944 from neighboring Arab lands?
4) Why do Arabs clam up and get silent when asked their very relevant questions?

P.S. anyone familiar with the Arab-Israeli conflict knows that RFK was murdered by an anti-Jewish Palestinian who was Christian. We also know that many of the Palestinian hijackings and terrorist bombings in the 1970's of Jewish women and children were carried out by 'palestinian Christians'.

+1
+1
-1

Oops swipe keyboard typos. Should read: Why do Arabs always clam up when asked THESE very relevant questions.

$100,000 CASH is awaiting the correct replies.

What do you have to lose? Except face, your dignity and any remaining hope that sheep will swallow your bold-faced lies.

One more thing that shows your absolute lack of knowledge regarding Israel; Arabs-Israeli citizens are the only group that are NOT required to serve in the IDF.

+1
+4
-1
geoffk posted on

quick correction...the immigration of arabs to the british mandate of palestine began in 1920, not 32....before `1920, the arabs could care less about the area....as is evidenced by the small numbers of arabs found in that desolate land...and the high tax rate placed on residents by the ottoman empire

in the same way, the ottoman's kept the jewish population small

which is why every argument regarding arab population vs jewish population at the time...falls to pieces

+1
+1
-1

yawn.

+1
-2
-1

How would you feel if I called you a Pale of Settlement illegal immigrant and that the US as well as other European countries should return to its racist immigration quotas and keep you out? Because of all your pro-Israel garbage and Islamophobia.

+1
-2
-1

when has anything anti-Semitic been said? also, seriously? your comment is so blatantly islamophobic.... you cry antisemitism and yet you validate hating on muslims? come on man, that's not cool.

+1
0
-1

The Arabs in the Middle East are throwing off the shackles of oppressive Islamic regimes that have brainwashed them into believing the most ridiculous lies of our generation. The problem is that the largely uneducated and illiterate Muslim Arabs still retain their bigotry of Jews, Christians and Americans. It will take decades to reverse this racism which has been ingrained into the minds of many impressionable young people who do not realize that they can challenge these lies about Jewish people. This brings us to the supposedly educated bigots on American campuses that spew their venomous hate at Jewish people and anyone else who supports the great nation of Israel. It is time for the bigoted Arabs (lets face it, we know who is behind this racist campaign) at Columbia and other universities to take a deep introspective, asking themselves what their hatred is doing to make this world better place.
I wonder how many of these useful idiots will attempt to blame Israel or Zionism for the current unrest in Muslim Arab countries. The absurdity of believing that a small nation of 6 million Jews is the cause of problems in Arab countries which have no official relations to Israel is utmost height of stupidity and something that comes second nature to the phonies who call themselves "palestinians". In 1948 Robert F. Kennedy wrote in the Boston Post of the 500,000 ARABS who flooded into Israel between 1932-1945, none were native but today the UN calls them refugees

With that, I leave you with a link to the UN definition of a "palestinian refugee". Some serious questions to ask these mentally deranged apartheid accusers:

With that, I leave you with a link to the UN definition of a "palestinian refugee":
http://www.unrwa.org/etemplate...

When was 'Arab' Palestine founded?

What was the capital of "palestine"?

(Note: the Palestine pound was issued by the British and had Hebrew writing on it)

+1
-1
-1

"Why was the PLO created in Egypt, by Egyptians in 1964, before 'occupation'?"

Because Zionists illegally expelled 700,000 Palestinians from their homes in 1948, a crime the so-called "State of Israel" promised to remedy as a condition of its admission to the UN, before failing miserably to do so?

I'm sorry, was there a question there?

+1
0
-1

Islamic Apartheid Week is a much more fitting name for this bigoted attack on Jews, Christians and Israelis. Especially when one considers the FACT that every Islamic government is an absolute apartheid.

+1
0
-1

Nahh...theocracies, yes, like Israel! Bigoted attack on Jews and Christians? I don't think so. Unless you can, from their article, show me proof in that.

+1
+1
-1

"Feb. 28 to March 11 marks the second annual Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW)" ... last time I checked a week was 7 days.

+1
+1
-1

Re: the authors. They couldn't spell 'PALESTINE' without 'TEN PA LIES"

They don't understand the definition of many English words; apartheid, colonize, genocide, week. It's quite comical but also frightening to learn that the two ignorant writers of the horribly bigoted opinion piece are graduate students! I wonder if they care to delve into the mythical anthropology of the "palestinian".

+1
+2
-1

Dear New York Genius,
It is good to know that for you intellectual argument comes down to anagrams. It is also good to know that you consider fighting against oppression "bigotry", and disagreement with you "ignorance", and legitimate history "mythology".
But what I find the best to know is that despite it all, you prefer to go by the moniker "genius". All the best, buddy!

+1
+1
-1

The anagram is a fun way to interject truth into a debate filled with extremist Arab lies. This is why none of the authors and none of the Arab comments have been able to answer the questions I've posed. $100,000 cash awaits the first person that can.

Ten palestinian lies were fantastically illustrated by this man in California: http://walloflies.org/lies/

The notion that "arab Palestine" never existed as a sovereign nation cannot be disputed. This is verified by the fact that there was never a founding date, no founding fathers, no capital, not a single leader prior to Egyptian born Arafat, and no currency backed by an Arab bank. When you couple the facts of 500,000+ Arabs who flooded into modern day Israel from 1932-1944 as RFK wrote of with the UN definition of a "palestinian refugee" any intellectual can clearly see that the "palestinian" cause is a complete LIE. (as another commenter pointed out, the Arab immigration began in the 1920's and we all know that it was never restricted)

Link to RFK articles: http://robertkennedyandisrael....

Links to UN definition:

http://www.unrwa.org/etemplate...
http://www.camera.org/index.as...

+1
0
-1

And last time I checked, Israeli Apartheid has been going on for 43 + years!

+1
-1
-1
Arafat posted on

Don't bother GlassHouse with these facts and certainly do not bother the SJP with these facts.
****************************

I have listed the percentage of Muslim citizens in a handful of countries. In each of the countries listed the trends are toward the percentage of Muslims increasing, except, of course, where it is already 100% Muslim.
Saudi Arabia: 100% Muslim/Not one non-Muslim citizen.
Iran: 98% Muslim.
Turkey: 98% Muslim.
Afghanistan: 100% Muslim.
Pakistan: 95% Muslim.
Somalia: 100% Muslim.
Sudan: Estimated 70% Muslim. I wonder how long the genocide will continue before it is 100% Muslim?
Libya: 97% Muslim.
Yemen: 100% Muslim.
Mauritania: 100% Muslim
Algeria: 100% Muslim.
Israel: 75% Jewish. 16% Muslim with the Muslim population the fastest growing.

+1
+1
-1

Um, many of the victims of the Sudanese genocide are already Muslim.....t

Anyway, what's the point of these factoids?

+1
-3
-1

Glad to see the level of debate at this Ivy League institution is this lively and intelligent..
shame.

+1
-1
-1

I guarantee you that the bulk of the comments made above are from people who DO NOT go to this school.

+1
+3
-1

Here's some sweet irony:
randaw.tumblr.com/

On her blog, one of the authors of the error-filled garbage article above has a picture and quote of one of the worst oppressors this world has known! Ask some Cubans about that terrorist sometime...

What a f*king hypocrite.

+1
+1
-1
Adel Helal posted on

Brilliantly written, with plenty of examples of what is happening there to give us a good picture from the outside world of the realities of this occupation that is so often said to be "freedom and opportunity" for Palestinians under Israeli rule.
Many Jews continually talk about how Palestinians themselves prefer the life they have in Israel over having it under Palestinian rule. This shows us that it is complete fabrication.

There is an article here that explains exactly why Israelis have to do what they do:
http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

+1
+2
-1

Palestinian history is complete fabtication. This is proven by the fact that nobody has accepted my $100,000 challenge. One could easily name the founders of date of independence of every sovereign nation on Earth, yet not a single soul can tell me when 'arab Palestine' was founded, who the founders were and what the name of its capital was.

This also shows that the colonialism allegations are false, since there was no nation existing and no nation invading. The 1937 Peel Commission report stated unequivocally that Arab immigrants from surrounding areas, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and TransJordan, were the sole cause of a home shortage, not Jewish migration.

+1
+1
-1

If you are stupid enough to believe the above header and the propaganda of the fakestinians then you need to go back to grade school.

+1
+1
-1

mtomtam

+1
0
-1

While the quality of the resposes to this article is, unfortunately , indicativeof the overheated rhetoric which permeates almost all discussion of the Israel-Arab conflict, what really sicken me is the article itself. That two graduate students can produce an argument of such remarkably low quality, so full of holes, and so poorly reasoned should frighten anyone who looks towards academia for the betterment of society. Mss. Keilani and Wahbe should be embarrassed for themselves, but come across as far too self-righteous to recognise this.
>>>You think the writers of this article, or the people of the Middle East support these dictators?
The where the heck has your searing criticism of these dictators been for the last several decades? Where are the demonstrations? Where is "Ghaddafi is a Murderous Lunatic Week"? So you don't like American support for Israel? Well, where have your rallies agaianst American support for Saudi, Jordan, Turkey, and Egypt been? You have been shamefully silent on these issues. Nary a peep until the last few weeks.
If the writers possess an ounce of dignity they'll go crawl back into the holes from which they emerged. In the context of the betterment of the world at large, they have shown themselves to be utterly useless.
For shame.

+1
-1
-1

Sorry, Gene; this is the weakest of all possible Zionist arguments. In the past few weeks, I've seen the leaders of the local Palestinian liberation movement in the street supporting the Arab struggles for the liberation of Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Bahrain, Libya, etc., etc. I have yet to observe a single Zionist at these events (and trust me, I know my share of the local Zionists).

And why is this? Where are the Zionists? Those are rhetorical questions, of course; everyone who's ever cracked an op--ed section more challenging than that of the NY Post knows that they're at home, trembling at the ongoing downfalls of the dictatorships upon which their racist state relies for its continued existence.

Sorry, Zionists. You spend several decades bloviating about "the lack of democracy in the Arab world." Then you had a few weeks' window of opportunity to prove that you meant something by it, and you failed. You blew it! Suck it up and move on (or continue to make public fools of yourselves; God knows that's the more entertaining option for the rest of us.)

+1
-1
-1

It is, unfortunately, hard to avoid the overheated rhetoric which permeates almost all discussion of the Israel-Arab conflict---I will be guilty of this too in what follows. This article is sickening. That two graduate students can produce an argument of such remarkably low quality, so full of holes, and so poorly reasoned should frighten anyone who looks towards academia for the betterment of society. Mss. Keilani and Wahbe should be embarrassed for themselves, but come across as far too self-righteous to recognise this.
Then where the heck has your searing criticism of these dictators been for the last several decades? Where are the demonstrations? Where is "Ghaddafi is a Murderous Lunatic Week"? So you don't like American support for Israel? Well, where have your rallies agaianst American support, financial or otherwise, for Saudi, Jordan, Turkey, Pakistan, and Egypt been? You have been shamefully silent on these issues. Nary a peep until the last few weeks.
For shame.

+1
+1
-1

I can attest that these authors have been to at least half a dozen demonstrations in front of the UN and around the city protesting these dictatorships. You probably haven't heard of the demonstrations because your head's too far up your Netanyahu's ass to pay attention. Netanyahu btw is shitting in his pants, along with Zionist minions, because of these protests and have shown no support for those people's democratic aspirations. Instead they've expressed persistent Islamophobia but no surprise there.

Funny you mentioned criticizing the US for supporting those dictatorships; Israel backs them as well. You forgot to comment on that. For shame.

As for the article, they explicitly say that if you want to hear the arguments. or rather the facts, get off your lazy, "useless" ass and go to the events! TA-DA

+1
+1
-1
geoffk posted on

haifa university....20 percent of the student body is arab

the knesset....arabs sit as members of the mk

there are arab judges, lawyers, doctors, teachers, techies, laborers, athletes who play on the national team, entertainers....no one can find one occupation that an arab is blocked from holding

arab citizens of israel have the right to vote, protest and voice their opinions

please compare this to the former apartheid state of south africa

is their prejudice in israel? yes

is their discrimination? yes

is israel a perfect democracy? no

and one can say the same thing about that great bastion of democracy, the united states of america

enough is enough

why arent you people out protesting the mass murder of arab governments towards their own citizens? simple...because your hate of the jew, overrides your faux love of the arab

+1
+1
-1
Adel Helal posted on

As every Israeli always does, you excel in pointing the finger at someone else.
The whole "but what about others" argument is a poor argument to try and change the focus on the situations that are currently causing serious issues for Palestinians. We all agree about the Arab dictators (why on earth do you think there are revolutions happening right now?), but what about Israel?... what about Israel?... I'll say it again: what about Israel?

If you actually beleive that Israel is doing something good for the rights of the Palestinians, I have two simple question for you:

1. Would you agree to a Right of Return for all the displaced refugees (that total 4 million in the region considering it the largest population of refugees)?

2. If so, would you accept an Arab party in Parliament to run for general elections with the right of ALL Palestinians to vote?

Answering yes to both these questions would provde your argument true regarding the absense of apartheid in the region. But if that is the case, the majority of Arabs would vote for an Arab government.
Israelis don't want that, and so the only solution they have is to continue implementing apartheid Israel to keep the power in their hands.

+1
-2
-1
Adel Helal posted on

oh really you want to talk about random quotes made by Arabs who have no real authority?
Lets have a look at the very founders and implementers of the Zionist Ideology.
If anything there is more credibility in basing an ideological system on such prestigious names:

http://hubofmiddleeastpolitics...

+1
-1
-1

"why arent you people out protesting the mass murder of arab governments towards their own citizens?"

I can personally attest that the authors of this editorial actually have been, within the past few weeks alone.

And I dare say that neither you, not any other Zionist/racist in the city, can claim the same.

Do Zionists have some kind of review process for your hasbara talking points? Because they're all a little too easy to knock down these days ...

+1
0
-1

then why in the world would NELSON MANDELA call it apartheid?

+1
0
-1

He didn't. He said that it is dangerous to call it an apartheid. He also said this: "The second manifestation of [anti-semitism] is the indictment of Israel as an apartheid state [which involves] more than the simple indictment of Israel as an apartheid state. It involves a call for dismantling Israel."

I think your argument was pretty much deflated right there...

+1
+1
-1

wait....you are so wrong on that... Irwin Cotler, a Jewish Canadian MP who was once a lawyer for Nelson Mandela, said what you have quoted above.

"We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians."
Guess who said that? I'll give you a hint, it certainly was not Irwin Cotler.

peace.

+1
+1
-1
Arafat posted on

NELSON MANDELA must be senile. Is the following article false. If so tell me specifically where it takes liberty with the facts.

www.spme.net/cgi-bin/articles....

+1
+1
-1

ahh that's right. i forgot that he was senile. i'll just take your word for it because you are, of course, a much more trustworthy source. thank you so much for everything you represent!!!!

+1
+2
-1
sasboy posted on

Israel practices apartheid and is a state founded on racism, ethnic cleansing, violence, discrimination, ``land clearing'' operations and deceit.

DUH !!!!! Tell us something we DON'T know.

+1
-1
-1

C-SJP is deeply critical of the regimes (Lebanon, Egypt, etc); these governments are indeed complicit in the atrocities committed against the Palestinians, but the fact of the matter remains that it is Israel, not Lebanon, that is occupying the Palestinian people.

+1
-2
-1

"Deeply critical" = absolute silence.

+1
+1
-1

"but it doesn’t take legal expertise of international law to understand that what is happening to the Palestinians is anything but apartheid"
LOLOL well put!

+1
-1
-1
world_citizen123 posted on

Excellent. Let's examine the discrimination under occupation and inside Israel and weigh it against the international community's definition of apartheid. I don't think Israeli policies will fair well in the court of public opinion.

+1
-2
-1

What if the USA legally defined itself as having special rights for 7th Day Adventists? And the state routinely moved non-7th day adventists off of their land, and claimed it as state property?

+1
0
-1