News | Morningside Heights

Man, 75, killed in hit and run on Broadway at 114th

• CHECKPOINT | Police pulled over cars and asked drivers for identification on Sunday, one block south of the fatal hit-and-run that took place late Friday.

Updated, Sunday, 6:30 p.m.

A 75-year-old man was fatally hit by a car in front of Lerner Hall on Friday night. The suspect fled the scene in his black Honda Civic before police responded, and an investigation is ongoing.

Arnold Slater, a resident of Greenwich Village, was walking west on 114th Street shortly before midnight when the car, traveling north on Broadway, hit him as he crossed the street, the police said.

Slater was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, a block east, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The suspect drove away before the police arrived. By early Saturday morning, officers had roped off the block of Broadway north of 114th Street, diverting traffic across the southern border of campus to Amsterdam Avenue.

On Sunday evening, officers randomly stopped cars driving northbound on Broadway between 113th and 114th streets, asking drivers for identification.

An officer at the scene said the checkpoint was connected to the hit-and-run, but Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesperson, said on Sunday night that he did not believe the checkpoint was part of the investigation.

If you have any information pertaining to the crime, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).

Sammy Roth and Avantika Kumar contributed reporting.

finn.vigeland@columbiaspectator.com

anon posted on

There needs to be more police on 114th and on Broadway.

+1
-5
-1

So, I was crossing 113th Street at Broadway today and was nearly hit by an SUV (NJ plates) that ran the red light as it turned north on Broadway. I shouted at him "It's red!!!" as he casually rolled through the intersection. As I got to the other side I noticed two policemen sitting in their car on Broadway with a clear view of the intersection. "Why don't you pull him over -- he almost hit me!" Said one, looking up from his smartphone, "I didn't see it." Seems like this investigation will take a long time at this rate...

+1
-2
-1