Sports | Football

Lions take down Bulldogs 26-22 for first Ivy win

There was another two-minute miracle this afternoon at Baker Field, but this time it was the Lions who were waving the magic wand.

With 0:45 remaining in the game, junior running back Marcorus Garrett caught the ball in the endzone on a huge third down to give Columbia a 26-22 lead. This time, the Lions held on, ensuring that they would not suffer their third consecutive last-minute defeat.

The Lions offense came out strong and dominated time of possession throughout the game. In the first three quarters, Columbia had the ball for 32:01 while Yale only had the ball for 12:59. It was the passing game that carried the Lions, as senior quarterback Sean Brackett had one of his best games of the season through the air.

Wide receivers Chris Connors and Connor Nelligan also came up big for the Lions, as did sophomore wide receiver Jake Wanamaker, who caught his first touchdown in a Light Blue uniform.

But the Yale offense showed up as well. Sophomore running back Tyler Varga filled in under center for the Bulldogs, whose wildcat offense was remarkably successful. Varga rushed for over 200 yards, and was responsible for all three of Yale's touchdowns.

Varga once again seemed to be tearing apart the Lions offense with Yale leading 22-19 late in the fourth quarter. But just after moving the chains on a big third-down run, Varga fumbled the ball and gave the Light Blue one more chance to win the game.

Columbia did not shy away from the opportunity, driving the ball up the field and punching it through for the game-winning score with less than a minute left.

Yale got one more chance, but after picking up a first down couldn't get the snap off in time after a sack, and the Lions closed out the 26-22 win.

Correction: In a previous version of the article, it said that Tyler Varga was quarterbacking Yale's final series rather than Henry Furman. Spectator regrets the error.

Go Lions! Let's finish this last part of the season strong

+1
0
-1

Varga did not handle the ball from center at the end, Yale put in a wide receiver in at QB for the last series.

+1
0
-1

After five or six straight goal line runs into the line, finally a pass, into the end zone and a Lion victory. Gutsy receivers, excellent quarterback play. Go Lions.

+1
+2
-1

Great job Lions!!!

+1
0
-1