Sports | Field Hockey

Field hockey loses in overtime to Yale

• Helping Hand | Senior Paige Simmons assisted on junior Danielle Cosentino’s opening goal.

Columbia field hockey (8-7, 3-3 Ivy) lost its second consecutive Ivy League game to Yale on Saturday, 3-2. The Lions were then slated to play Rutgers on Sunday but the game was canceled due to inclement weather.

The first half of the team’s game against the Bulldogs was fairly competitive, as both teams managed to attempt at least seven shots and earn at least three penalty corners. But the Lions were the only team to get on the scoresheet as junior midfielder Danielle Cosentino scored in the 20th minute off an assist from senior midfielder Paige Simmons.

The second half was a similarly competitive affair, but a poor eight-minute stretch for Columbia gave Yale the lead. The Bulldogs first equalized at the 55:52 mark off a goal from Mary Beth Barham. Erica Borgo added another goal less than seven minutes later. Still, the Lions continued to pressure the Bulldogs and were rewarded with a tying goal from junior back Creaghan Peters less than 30 seconds before the end of regulation.

Columbia won its last overtime game against Penn and had several early chances to score a winning goal against Yale. But the Bulldogs’ defense thwarted the Lions and Borgo scored her second goal of the game to give Yale the win only seven minutes into overtime. Senior Christie O’Hara had another good game in the Lions’ loss, making nine saves.

The Lions will return to action when they travel to play Harvard on Saturday. The game will be Columbia’s final Ivy contest of the season.

sports@columbiaspectator.com