Sports | Field Hockey

Field hockey beats Harvard, falls to Rutgers

Senior forward Gabby Kozlowski tied and broke the women’s field hockey record for career goals during the team’s season-ending, two-game road trip. The field hockey team (9-8, 4-3 Ivy) as a whole did not end its season on such a high note, defeating Harvard 3-2 on Saturday but losing 3-2 to Big East powerhouse Rutgers in Sunday’s season finale.

The Lions entered the game against Harvard (3-13, 1-6 Ivy) needing a victory to ensure a top three finish in the league. The Lions’ offense was dominant in the first half. Columbia outshot Harvard nine to four in the first half and earned six penalty corners to the Crimson’s three. The Lions closed the half with two goals to show for their effort. Senior back Katie DeSandis continued her impressive scoring form this season with a goal in the 13th minute off a rebound from a Lion corner shot. Kozlowski then doubled the Lions’ lead, as she collected a loose ball in front of the net and hurled it past Harvard goalkeeper Cynthia Tassopoulos for her 10th goal of the season. The goal was a milestone for Kozlowski as it enabled her to tie with Nikki Campbell, CC ’02, for the record of 40 career goals.

Harvard dominated the second half, outshooting Columbia seven to three and earning four penalty corners to Columbia’s one. In the 40th minute, the Crimson cut the Lions’ lead in half. Senior goalkeeper Christie O’Hara came up big for the Lions, however, making three second-half saves to preserve the Lions’ lead. DeSandis gave Columbia insurance with her second goal of he game at the 60:24 mark, and although Harvard got a second goal with less than 40 seconds left, it was too little, too late for the Crimson.

The Lions struggled in their game at Rutgers, where they were outshot 17-6. Rutgers’ physical play—it earned three green cards and two yellow cards in the game—made it difficult for Columbia to get into the game. Cornelia Duffin started the scoring for the Scarlet Knights in the 21st minute off a set play from the corner. The Lion’s forward Kozlowski scored at the 24:43 mark to tie the game.

The goal was Kozlowski’s second of the weekend and 41st for the Lions, pushing her past Campbell, Columbia’s previous career-goals leader. Kozlowski then notched her second goal of the match just five minutes into the second half, giving the Light Blue the lead. However, a relentless Rutgers team equalized the game in the 55th minute off an unassisted goal from Christie Lonsky. As the game clock wound down, it appeared the game might go to overtime but Lonsky scored with less than three minutes left to give Rutgers the win and Columbia, a season-ending loss.

sports@columbiaspectator.com