Sports | Soccer

Men's soccer season ends with Cornell winning Ivy Title

• SEALED THE DEAL | Senior midfielder Matt Sanner scored the game-winning goal, the last of his career, in Tigers' 1-0 win over Yale.

As the curtain falls on the 2012 men’s soccer season, Cornell emerges victorious as the Ivy League champion while last year’s co-champions, Dartmouth and Brown, won second and third place, respectively. Harvard failed to secure a single Ivy win, ending up in last place. Columbia finished in fifth place while Yale and Penn did not fare much better, as they settle near the bottom of the league with sixth and seventh place, respectively.

BROWN

The Bears (12-3-3, 4-1-2 Ivy) failed to follow last year’s championship with a repeat performance, as they lost their last Ivy League game to Dartmouth 2-1. Brown entered the game with a 12-game winning streak when, less than 20 minutes into the match, Eric Robertson headed a goal into the net. But with Dartmouth’s equalizer in the 43rd minute, the game ended up in overtime, and the Bears were unable to redirect the offensive pressure laid on by the Big Green, succumbing to their opponents in the final seconds. Brown does not walk away empty-handed, though, having secured a bid to the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Tournament.

CORNELL

The Big Red (15-1, 6-1 Ivy) reaps the glory as the 2012 Ivy League champion, following a 1-0 win over Columbia. Cornell entered the pitch Saturday night knowing it had clinched the championship, but it left no doubts as to its league supremacy, ending its season with a narrow win over the Lions. The accolades continued for the Big Red as Daniel Haber was named Ivy League Player of the Week for a record fifth time. Holding the Ivy trophy, Cornell looks to achieve even more as it enters the upcoming NCAA soccer tournament.

DARTMOUTH

Despite a crucial victory over Brown this past week, the Big Green (9-7, 5-2 Ivy) still could not edge out Cornell for the Ivy League championship. Falling behind early in the game, Dartmouth managed to even the score, ultimately seizing the win dramatically with a hotly contested buzzer-beater. Albeit with a disputed goal, the Big Green walked off the field with a victory, placing Dartmouth in a close second place, and maintaining its perfect at-home Ivy record for this season.

HARVARD

Yet again, the Crimson (3-11-3, 0-6-1 Ivy) proved unable to sustain early success, losing 3-1 to Penn. This time, however, Harvard failed to hold onto its 1-0 lead for even a full minute, folding nearly immediately under the pressure of Penn’s quick counterattack. Although it outshot the Quakers in the second half, the Crimson simply could not find the back of the net, securing its last-place finish.

PENN

The Quakers (3-13, 1-6 Ivy) ended the season on a high note, achieving two firsts with their 3-1 victory over Harvard. The match marks Penn’s first Ivy win of the season, as well as its first at-home victory, sweetening an otherwise bitter seventh place. Also, midfielder Sam Engs gained Ivy honors and was named Rookie of the Week.

PRINCETON

The Tigers (8-6-2, 4-1-2 Ivy) conquered Yale 1-0 in their regular-season closer, due to the seasoned goal-scoring abilities of senior Matt Sanner. At the onset of the season, Princeton looked to be a major contender for the Ancient Eight but will have to settle for a fourth-place finish.

YALE

The Bulldogs (4-8-5, 1-3-3 Ivy) could not get a single shot off during the entire first half of their loss to Princeton on Saturday. They picked up their game significantly during the second half, but the Bulldogs failed to build up the sufficient momentum to get on the board. Yale ends its 2012 season in sixth place.