Sports | Football

Lions fall to Brown in season's last game

The Lions struck first this afternoon, but were unable to halt Brown's counterattack, falling 22-6.

Columbia's first points of the game came on a field goal by junior kicker Luke Eddy, and the Light Blue opened up a 6-0 advantage after Eddy made a 30-yard try in the second. Eddy's second field goal proved to be Columbia's last score of the afternoon.

Brown quarterback Patrick Donnelly hit wide receiver Jonah Fay for a 29-yard score in the second quarter to tie the game, and the extra point gave the home team a 7-6 lead. The score capped off a 76-yard drive for the Bears.

Donelly and the Brown offense struck again towards the end of the first half, as wide receiver Jordan Evans caught a 29-yard pass to put the Bears up 14-6.

Brown scored again with 9:20 to play in the third and a two-point conversion gave Brown a commanding 22-6 lead.

Columbia had a couple of chances in the fourth, but ultimately came up short.

Following an interception by senior linebacker Mike Waller, Columbia drove the ball all the way to the Brown two. After a loss of two on first down, senior quarterback Sean Brackett's touchdown run on second down was called back after a hold. The Lions ultimately came away empty handed.

Waller recovered a Brown fumble later in the fourth to give Columbia one last chance, but once again the Lions were unable to capitalize.

Brown closed out the win as Columbia finished the season with three wins.

Ugh

+1
0
-1
Rahlow James posted on

There was some progress this year and hopefully the team can build on it. Two games could easily have gone the other way (Penn and Dmouth). With the exception of the debacle in Cambridge, the team could turn this around and be competitive next year.

+1
-4
-1

Hey guys, listen up.

Some wag over at the Harvard Crimson referred to you guys as "the Greek economy of the Ancient Eight". Just the messenger.

+1
-1
-1