Shollenberger to announce 114th Street brownstone winners Friday

Dean of Student Affairs Kevin Shollenberger will announce the winners of three 114th Street brownstones Friday afternoon, a Student Affairs spokesperson told Spectator.

There are six finalists for three brownstones: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Lambda Phi Epsilon, Manhattan House by the Native American Council, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Q House.

A committee of four administrators and six students—four of whom are members of Greek organizations—reviewed the finalists and made recommendations to Student Affairs administrators, who made the final decision. Student Affairs spokesperson Katherine Cutler said that Shollenberger will notify students of the winners early Friday afternoon.

The organizations that don’t get a 114th Street brownstone might turn their attention to the former convent brownstones being converted into undergraduate housing on 113th Street. Administrators are planning to give the three interconnected brownstones, which will become undergraduate housing in fall 2013, to three special interest communities.

Dean of Community Development and Multicultural Affairs Terry Martinez said in an interview earlier this month that she didn’t see the convent housing as consolation prizes for the organizations that don’t get 114th Street brownstones. But at a town hall forum to discuss the theming of the convent housing Tuesday night—which was attended by four students, one of whom was a Spectator reporter and one of whom was a Bwog writer—Martinez said that the Application Development Initiative and Writers House had both come up as potential occupants in her conversations with students.

ADI and Writers House both applied for 114th Street brownstones but weren’t named finalists. The other two students at the town hall were members of ADI.

Shollenberger said that administrators would finalize an application process for the convent housing by early December and that the process would begin early next semester.

Go axo!

+1
+2
-1

AEPi deserves a house!

+1
+1
-1