Sports | Basketball

Lions blow double-digit lead at home to fall to 4-4

Though the Lions held a couple double digit leads, they were ultimately unable to hold off the Bison, as Bucknell took home a 65-57 win.

Bucknell (7-1) jumped out to an early 6-2 lead, but the Light Blue (4-4) reeled off an impressive 21-0 run to take control of the game. The Bison clawed their way back into it, cutting the deficit to five before a pair of free throws by senior point guard Brian Barbour increased the lead to seven just before the break.

Despite a largely impressive first half for the Lions, fouls continued to be a problem. Senior center Mark Cisco had two fouls, and sophomore forward Alex Rosenberg had three as part of the team's total of nine in the first half.

Columbia came out strong to start the second half and increased its lead, but Bucknell refused to go away.

Bison center Mike Muscala caught fire, and largely carried the Bucknell offense in the second half. After the visitors slowly clawed their way back into the game, Muscala finally boosted Bucknell over the hump, giving his team its first lead of the second half with 6:55 to play.

The two teams went back and forth for the rest of the game, with neither team able to pull away until Muscala gave Bucknell a five-point lead with under two minutes to play after Cisco fouled out.

Columbia was unable to work any last-minute magic, as the Bison closed out the win.
sports@columbiaspectator.com