Arts and Entertainment | Music

Best Of: Holiday Concerts

The Annual Hanukkah Concert

Sunday, Dec. 9, 3:00 p.m. - Center for Jewish History - $18 general, $9 seniors/students
Music for Hanukkah can go beyond the grating (“The Dreidel Song”) and the irreverent (“The Hanukkah Song”). The proof is in the program for this year’s Hanukkah concert, courtesy of the Center for Jewish History. Featuring jazz’s most critically-lauded clarinetist, Anat Cohen, along with holiday stories and general revelry, it is sure to explore some hopefully better, and certainly more innovative sounds of the season.

TubaChristmas

Sunday, Dec. 9, 3:30 p.m. - The Rink at Rockefeller Center - Free
Nothing says Christmas in New York like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree—and when supplemented by the dulcet tones of hundreds of low brass instruments playing Christmas carols, the amount of holiday spirit goes through the (figurative) roof. The concert is in its 39th year, having spawned a bevy of imitators both domestically and internationally. The Rockefeller Center concert is the original, however, so it’s definitely worth braving the insanity of Midtown around the holidays to check it out. From tubas to euphoniums to sousaphones to baritones, all are welcome. Singing along is not just allowed, but encouraged!

Andrew Bird: Gezelligheid

Tuesday, Dec. 11, Doors: 7:00 p.m./Show: 8:00 p.m. - Riverside Church - $40
The Dutch word “Gezelligheid” is translated on Wikipedia as “convivial,” “cozy,” “fun,” or “quaint”—not words one would normally use to describe Riverside Church. Nevertheless, Andrew Bird chose our “Gossip Girl”-starring neighbor as the site for his annual holiday concerts—the goal of which, in his words, is to “create an atmosphere that gets you through the dark.” Hearing this incredibly talented and completely idiosyncratic “pop” musician play with the acoustics of the church will at the very least soothe your finals-frazzled nerves, and might even create a deeper sense of “gezelligheid,” which also means “belonging” and “general togetherness.” The Monday show is sold out, but there are still tickets available for Tuesday.

The Gregory Brothers Christmas Show

Wednesday, Dec. 12, Doors: 6:30 p.m./Show: 7:00 p.m. - Rockwood Music Hall - $12 in advance/$15 day of
Who knew that the creators of the infamous “Bed Intruder Song” were also holiday-minded philanthropists? Oddly enough, the Gregory Brothers, who brought you “Backin’ Up” and “Can’t Hug Every Cat,” will also be presenting their eighth annual holiday concert next week. You can join in this nontraditional tradition as they are joined by special guests to provide an evening of Auto-Tune, humor, and holiday cheer. Past concerts show that the band is as good at a capella carols as they are at creating hilarious viral videos, so expect equal parts traditional jollity and current events-based satire. Unfortunately, this one’s 21 and over—sorry underclassmen!