Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

Neighborhood Watch: Volunteering along the one train

Broadway Community, Inc.

601 West 114th St.
Located in the church next door to Starbucks, Broadway Community, Inc. has been a presence in Morningside Heights for more than 30 years, preparing and providing food, clothing, and shelter for the homeless in Harlem. During the Christmas season, Broadway Community, Inc. will be preparing special holiday meals, and is looking for volunteers who will be on the Upper West Side during winter break.

The Salvation Army

315 West 47th St.
In the midst of running from store to store frantically finishing your holiday shopping, swing by the Salvation Army to offer your time and services. Help out at the Salvation Army Family Store, which provides families with clothing, furniture, and household items at discounted prices, or take a shift at one of the weekly soup kitchens. The Salvation Army is also looking for bell-ringers during the holidays to collect donations on the street. Even if you can’t make it to Times Square, you can also start a virtual red kettle at onlineredkettle.org/standtogether

Hurricane Sandy Response: Unload Donations at the New York Cares Warehouse

157 West 31st St.
While Morningside Heights was not badly affected by Hurricane Sandy, Lower Manhattan is still in the process of recovering from the devastating storm. Donations of food, clothing, and blankets need to be sorted and distributed to those who need it most, and students can help out in the New York Cares donation warehouse to make sure that families have the supplies they need in the aftermath of the storm.

Animal Care & Control of NYC

11 Park Place, Suite 805
Between Hurricane Sandy and the holiday season, now more than ever volunteers are needed to help at animal shelters. The Animal Care & Control of NYC is the largest pet organization in the Northeast, placing dogs, cats, and even rabbits in good homes. Volunteers are needed for “hands-on” jobs such as playing with the animals, which helps them to socialize with humans. And, if finals are stressing you out, playing with animals can help relieve both your stress and theirs!