Former presidential assistant to direct SIPA's Center on Global Energy Policy

A climate change expert and special assistant to President Barack Obama, CC ’83, joined the School of International and Public Affairs as a professor of professional practice, as announced on Tuesday.

Jason Bordoff, senior director for energy and climate change for the National Security Council, will serve as the director of SIPA’s Center on Global Energy Policy after working in the Obama administration for the past four years.

Bordoff specializes in studying the intersection of economics and other topics, which include climate,energy, trade, globalization, and tax policy.

Brooklyn born and bred, Bordoff said that he is thrilled to be joining the faculty at Columbia.

Before joining the Obama administration, Bordoff worked as the policy director of the Hamilton Project, an economic policy initiative housed in the Brookings Institution.

In 2008, Bordoff published “Path to Prosperity,” a collection of economic policy articles that the Hamilton Project had published.

Bordoff was the associate director for climate change at the Council on Environmental Quality and held senior policy roles in the National Economic Council as well.

A.J. Goulding, president of London Economics International LLC and a SIPA adjunct assistant professor, said that he was “really glad that Columbia was able to make this addition to their team.”

“I do hope, however, that the center will be holistic in its approach to energy, considering all forms of energy, and not merely be an adjunct to the Earth Institute,” Goulding said.

Bordoff holds degrees from Brown University, Harvard Law School, and Oxford University, where he was a Marshall Scholar.

Ellen Morris, director of the energy and environment concentration at SIPA, said in an email that she sees the Center on Global Energy Policy as an important resource for SIPA students and faculty, and that she was so pleased to see Bordoff appointed as its director.

“Jason brings a wealth of knowledge and practical experience in the energy and environment field that we will tap into to help SIPA students better understand the link between their academic studies and the formulation of public policy,” she said. “Moreover, the Global Energy Policy Center’s agenda and activities will be complementary to the energy and environment curriculum, which will help reinforce the skill sets of the SIPA students and build a stronger academic program.”

Bordoff said that based on his experience working in public policy and his future research ambitions, Columbia would be a good fit for him.

“As someone who has relied on academic and think-tank analysis to help inform policy decisions, I know there is a need for more independent, rigorous analysis of the energy policy choices that our leaders face,” he said. “There are few places better positioned than Columbia to fill that need.”

Samantha Cooney contributed reporting.

cecilia.reyes@columbiaspectator.com | @kcecireyes

is this like the newyorktimes?

+1
+1
-1

who lets a presidential assassin work here? isnt that dangerous? shouldnt we make assassins stay away?

+1
+2
-1