Sports | Tennis

Two key victories take women's tennis to the top

• Jenny Payne / Senior Staff Photographer
    Dynamic Duo | Senior Nicole Bartnik and Crystal Leung shake hands after soundly beating their Dartmouth opponents.

Over the weekend, the women's tennis squad (10-4, 3-0 Ivy), ranked No. 56 in the country, swept its Ancient Eight competition with home victories over Harvard and Dartmouth. Having won eight of their last 10 matches, the Lions are now tied with Yale for first place in the conference.

On Friday afternoon, the Light Blue held off the Crimson's late rally to sink Harvard 4-3. Columbia took an early 3-0 lead by winning the doubles point and the first and third singles matches. The Crimson tied the score at 3-3 with three consecutive victories in fourth, fifth, and sixth singles. But junior Bianca Sanon ensured the win for the Light Blue with her 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(4) tiebreaker victory over Harvard's Amy He in second singles.

The next day, the Lions blanked Dartmouth 7-0, refusing to give the Big Green any chance to come back. The Light Blue opened Saturday's contest by earning the doubles point with victories in second and third doubles. Notably, the Columbia duo of senior Nicole Bartnik and sophomore Crystal Leung pounded the Big Green's Sarah Bessen and Melissa Matsouka 8-0 in second doubles. Then in singles, Bartnik, Sanon, freshman Kanika Vaidya, senior Katarina Kovacevic, and junior Ioana Alecsiu all earned quick, decisive victories in only two sets, with Vaidya blanking Matsuoka, 6-0, 6-0.

Next weekend, the Light Blue will head to Providence for a face-off against Brown, followed by a first-place showdown in New Haven with Yale.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

elliecope posted on

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much, However I am having problems with your RSS. I don't know the reason why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else getting the same RSS issues? Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

+1
+7
-1