Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse suffers another setback, loses 15-6 to Albany

• Michael Discenza / Senior Staff Photographer
    the right paige | Junior Paige Cuscovitch led the Light Blue in scoring on Wednesday with a hat trick.

Columbia lacrosse (2-11, 0-5 Ivy) suffered another disappointing nonconference loss Wednesday evening—this time to Albany, 15-6. The Lions put up points first against the Great Danes (9-4) behind junior Paige Cuscovitch, who finished with half the of the squad’s six goals. The lead was short-lived, however, as Albany’s Ariana Parker scored the next three. Though seniors Kelly Buechel and Kacie Johnson scored two of the next three to bring the score to 4-3 midway through the first half, Albany finished the half with a 6-1 run. 

The second half was marked by much more defensive play as no points were scored until Johnson scored her second goal with 17:20 left to play. But the Great Danes then answered with five of their own. In all, six players put points on the board with three separate players notching hat tricks against the overmatched Columbia team.

Only two games remain in the season, against Harvard and Manhattan, each of which boasts a sub-.500 record. The Lions will play Harvard on the road for their last away game this Saturday at 1 p.m. in Cambridge.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports