Sports | Rowing

In brief: Women's rowing, heavyweight rowing, lightweight rowing, women's tennis

• Alyson Goulden / Senior Staff Photographer
    TWO IS BETTER THAN ONE | Senior Nicole Bartnik takes home a second Ivy League Player of the Year title after the conference's unanimous decision.
  • Heartbreaker | Despite their recent success, the No. 3 ranked lightweight squad suffered a setback in their loss to Princeton.
  • Varsity Victory | Women's rowing took home the first-place for the varsity eight, but couldn't follow through with the second varsity eight and varsity four.
  • Pull through | The second varsity eights carried the day with a first-place finish, which the varsity eight and third varsity eights couldn't match.

WOMEN'S TENNIS

For the second consecutive year, senior Nicole Bartnik was unanimously selected Ivy League Player of the Year, becoming only the third women’s tennis player to receive the honor in back-to-back seasons. Ranked No. 64 in the nation in singles, the talented veteran also earned first-team All-Ivy distinction for the third consecutive year with her 7-0 record in conference play. To top off her accolades, Bartnik received an automatic bid to the 2013 NCAA Women’s Tennis Singles Championship. The No. 39 duo of junior Bianca Sanon and freshman Kanika Vaidya will also represent Columbia at the championships in doubles after receiving the conference’s automatic bid. The athletes will head to Urbana, Ill., for the NCAA Championships from May 22-27.

—Theresa Babendreier

WOMEN'S ROWING

In the prestigious Eastern Sprints Regatta in New Jersey, women’s rowing put on a strong performance, once again emerging victorious over Brown in the varsity eight grand final. The two competing Ivies started the day in different heats, with Brown’s time five seconds faster than Columbia’s. But in the final race, the Lions beat Brown by four seconds. The victory marked the second week in a row that the Light Blue has pulled out a close win in varsity eights over the Bears. In its other races, Columbia was not as lucky. The Lions came within five seconds of Brown in the varsity four, but were behind by double digits in the second varsity eight and the varsity four. 

—Rachel Turner

HEAVYWEIGHT ROWING

Coming off of last weekend’s disappointing loss to Boston University, Columbia’s heavyweight rowers headed to Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J., to take on Navy and George Washington for the Stevenson Cup. Although the Lions were able to best their two competitors in the second varsity eights, it would be their only victory of the day. The Midshipmen took the first varsity eights by almost five seconds and the third eights by 2.6 seconds. The Lions hit the water next in the Eastern Sprints on May 19, followed by the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championships on May 31.

—Kyle Perrotti

LIGHTWEIGHT ROWING

After upsetting Cornell two weekends ago, the lightweight rowing first varsity eights lost their regular season finale to Princeton in heartbreaking fashion. Although the Lions were able to top the Tigers in the varsity fours and the third varsity eights, Princeton won the first eights by 2.7 seconds and second eights by nearly five seconds. In first eights, the Lions led most of the way, but the Tigers closed in on the last 250 meters to take the race. The Lions will now have two weeks off in order to train for the Eastern Sprints, which will take place in Worcester, Mass., on May 19. Two weeks later, the Light Blue will wrap up its season at the National Lightweight Championship at IRA Regatta in Sacramento, Calif., on June 2.

—Kyle Perrotti

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports