not_set | Sports

Athlete of the Week: Chelsea Ryan

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Rock it Ryan | Senior Chelsea Ryan posted a career-first hat trick in the Lion's win against Albany.

Senior Chelsea Ryan surpassed her previous accolades this past weekend by scoring a hat trick—a career first—to put Columbia up for a 3-0 win at Albany. Demonstrating her versatility, Ryan earned the honor of co-Ivy League Player of the Week for her offensive work, although she is typically on the other side of the ball. At 5-foot-9, she is a physical force to be reckoned with on the backline. Ryan is able to use her strength and physical presence to get around other players, using her head to put the ball in the back of the net. 

From the first time she put on the Light Blue jersey in her freshman year, Ryan stood out as one of the top talents on the soccer team. Since then, she has continued to be one of the most solid defenders on the squad. It is difficult to measure the exact extent of her success, because the very nature of a defender’s individual contributions makes them hard to enumerate. Thus, despite the lack of statistics, Ryan has been one of the top performers on the Columbia soccer team.

Hopefully, this road success will continue as the Lions open Ivy League play on Friday at Cornell. 

For all of her recent achievements, Ryan is Spectator’s Athlete of the Week.

sporst@columbiaspectator.com  |  @CUSpecSports