Sports | Soccer

Women's soccer enters Ivy play against Big Red

• Roarin’ Ryan | Recently selected as co-Ivy Player of the Week, senior defender Chelsea Ryan will try to stop the Big Red’s potent offense.

Women’s soccer (4-2-1, 0-0 Ivy) will face its first big test of the season as it opens up Ivy League play tomorrow at Ithaca to face Cornell (5-2-1, 0-0 Ivy) before coming back home Sunday night to play LIU Brooklyn (2-6-1).

The Big Red began the year with an underwhelming 1-1-1 start but has since won four of its last five games, scoring at least two goals in each of those wins. After a 1-0 loss to University of Cincinnati last Friday, Cornell rebounded with a 4-0 drubbing of New Jersey Institute of Technology.

After giving up three goals in its home opener, the Big Red is undefeated at home, a daunting stat especially given the potency of the Cornell offense. The team’s dominance begins early, with the team attempting 12 more goals in the first half than the second.

Another trouble spot for the Lions will be the depth of its offense, with three players having already scored at least three goals, including Elizabeth Crowell, who also has three assists, and Dempsey Banks, who has scored one goal while providing five assists.

The Light Blue defense seems suited to perhaps stymie the Cornell offense that looks for a hot start, having only surrendered one goal in the first half. If the Lions hope to compete, the defense must stop what may be the most explosive of the Ivy League offenses.

Meanwhile, the main problem for LIU Brooklyn these past few weeks has been its offensive play. In its last three games, the squad failed to score on offense while giving up multiple goals in two of those games. The offensive stagnancy is good news for the Lions, whose defense recorded two shutouts, after a sluggish start while still managing to score.

Currently, the Light Blue is scoring on 16.7 percent of its shots on goal with the defense only surrendering on 8.6 percent despite opponents having attempted 21 more shots than the Lions. In addition to the two victories, the veteran defensive players received other honors, with senior Chelsea Ryan selected as co-Ivy Player of the Week and senior Shannon FitzPatrick selected to the Weekly Honor Roll.

Meanwhile, with the offense only failing to score in one of its games this season and scoring five goals between its two wins, Columbia seems poised to be in position to perform well this weekend in seeking its first conference win.

The action kicks off this Friday in Ithaca at 7 p.m. and returns to Columbia Soccer Stadium on Sunday at 7 p.m. for the tilt against LIU Brooklyn. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports