Arts and Entertainment | Food and Drink

Campus to be sweetened by alum’s tea

Linda Appel Lipsius, CC ’93, is bringing her state-of-the-art teas to cafés across campus.

Teatulia, of which Lipsius is the CEO and co-founder, grows its organic teas in the Tetulia region of northern Bangladesh and brings the region’s unique flavors to the U.S., the U.K., and Japan. The teas will come to campus this month and will be available in Café 212 and Uris Café. 

Lipsius has managed Teatulia since 2009. She was inspired to give people an exceptional, flavorful, and fresh product “from a new, growing region Americans have never experienced before.” 

She works with her team to create a relationship with the impoverished region of upper Bangladesh. Using restorative farming methods, Teatulia has helped to revive the ecosystem and economy of Bangladesh. 

Courtesy of Linda Appel Lipsius
PURI-TEA | Linda Appel Lipsius, CC ’93, makes tea that will soon be served at Café 212 and Uris Café.

“Education programs and health and hygiene programs … are offered to the people who work in the garden and in the greater community,” Lipsius said. In addition to the recreational and literacy programs Teatulia provides for the community, women can also get cows on loan. The women pay off the cows with the cow manure, which then enriches the compost in the garden.

Lipsius feels that the company is in a challenging position because “most Americans don’t know about tea,” she said. So her team works to inform customers of the health benefits of tea through demos, events, and staff training.

The tea is 100 percent certified organic. 

“Conventionally grown teas are sprayed with pesticides. ... The first time your tea is rinsed of pesticides is when it’s steeping in your cup,” Lipsius said. “That alone makes it [Teatulia] so much cleaner and purer than so much other tea out there.” 

She describes the flavor as being “full-bodied but very smooth ... not bitter at all.”  

Because the cold season is kicking in, Lipsius recommended the Tulsi Infusion tea, a black tea that has also been shown to help reduce stress. She also suggested the ginger tea to support respiratory wellness. Other featured flavors will include peppermint, lemongrass, jasmine green, and white.

arts@columbiaspectator.com  |  @ColumbiaSpec