Sports | Field Hockey

Field hockey challenges Colgate and No. 12 Albany at home

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    fast forward | Junior forward Kyle Marsh and her teammates will face one relatively easy squad and one very tough team at home this weekend.

Over the weekend, the field hockey team (4-6, 1-2 Ivy) will host two fellow New York squads, as the Lions challenge Colgate (2-10) and No. 12 Albany (10-2) at the Baker Athletics Complex on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Last weekend, the Light Blue fell to No. 11 Princeton 5-0 on the road, and then edged UMass-Lowell 2-1 back at home. Before beating University of Massachusetts-Lowell, the Lions had dropped four consecutive games. First-year forward Katie Ruesterholz has shined for the Lions this season. Ruesterholz, who shares the Ivy League lead with 10 goals, broke Columbia’s record for goals scored by a first-year by scoring two against Fairfield two weeks ago.

While the Raiders, led by Eliana Brown and Olivia Nabhan, have lost five of their last six, the Great Danes have been dominant all season and will pose one of the season’s greatest challenges for Ruesterholz and the rest of the Lions.

The Lions will face Colgate at 7 p.m. on Friday, and then will battle Albany at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Both games will be held at the Columbia Field Hockey Venue.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports