Sports | Soccer

UConn shuts out men's soccer, 4-0

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    off the boot | Senior Henning Sauerbier made one of four shots for the Lions in the 4-0 loss.

Men’s soccer (5-3-2, 0-0-2 Ivy) went north to play the University of Connecticut (6-2-4) Tuesday night, riding a seven-game unbeaten streak during which the team had allowed only four goals. The Huskies matched that total in one game, defeating the Light Blue in a 4-0 rout.

UConn, which came in on a six-game unbeaten streak of its own, moved the ball with purpose from the get-go. The Huskies hit pay dirt three times in the first half and didn’t allow a single Columbia shot on goal. Cyle Larin hit UConn’s first goal in the 14th minute, with Allando Matheson and Colin Bradley scoring in the 28th and 34th minutes, respectively.

Matheson followed up in the 68th minute with his second goal of the game, which came off a corner kick from Adria Beso.

UConn had a total of 14 shots to Columbia’s five. Over the course of the contest, only one Lion—first-year Ron Zori—managed to get a shot on goal, while the Huskies had five on goal from four different players.

Sophomore goalkeeper Kyle Jackson, who captured the Ivy League Player of the Week award two weeks ago, allowed three of the four goals and did not record a single save all night. Sophomore Luke Rossi also saw some time in front of the net, allowing the final goal and recording Columbia’s only save.

The Lions will be back on the field for Ivy play on Saturday at Princeton.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports