Sports | Field Hockey

After winning in overtime against Penn, field hockey falls to Delaware

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Assist Manager | Sophomore Christina Freibott provided three assists in the overtime victory over Penn.

Light Blue field hockey (6-8, 2-2 Ivy) split two contests this weekend, starting with an intense, 4-3 overtime victory over conference foe Penn on Friday, before losing to Delaware on Sunday.

Junior Lauren Skudalski got the team on the board early but for the rest of the first half, Penn (10-3, 3-1 Ivy) dominated. Two goals from Jasmine Cole and another from Julie Tahan gave the Quakers a 3-1 lead going into halftime.

The Lions fought back with another goal by Skuldaski off an assist from sophomore Christina Freibott, who finished with three assists on the game. Sophomore Lindsey Walter tied things up to force overtime, where sophomore Liz Cruz provided the final score to get her team the win.

The Lions weren’t as successful in their matchup versus Delaware, falling short in their second comeback bid of the weekend. Freibott helped to tie things up after falling into an early hole. With a 10-5 edge on penalty corners, the Light Blue seemed poised to continue their winning ways.

Kasey Prettyman and Meghan Winesett helped push Delaware (10-4) to the game-deciding margin in the first half and kept Columbia off the board. Despite a late goal from Skudalski, the Lions were unable to tie the game and lost 3-2. 

The squad next plays at Dartmouth this Sunday.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports