not_set | Sports

WEEKEND RECAP: Women's Basketball, Swimming, Fencing, Track, Tennis

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    on the offensive | Fencing was one of many Columbia teams to bring home victories this weekend.

Most of Columbia's teams that took to the road this weekend came home victorious.

Women's Basketball -- Catie Pellerin / Spectator Staff Writer

Columbia (4-12, 1-1 Ivy) fell to Cornell (9-7, 1-1 Ivy), 76-51, in a rematch of last weekend’s game in Ithaca. The Lions’ defense was no match for the Big Red, which opened with a 25-6 run...(Read more)

Swimming -- Muneeb Alam / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams defeated Brown on Saturday...(Read more)

Fencing -- Kelly Reller / Spectator Staff Writer

Columbia fencing passed its weekend test with flying colors, nearly sweeping the opposition on both Saturday and Sunday...(Read more)

Track and Field -- Finn Vigeland / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Anyone who’s ever watched the Olympics knows the heartbreak of one one-hundredth of a second. It’s that unfathomably small unit of time—measurable only in the modern world thanks to the power of finish-line sensors—that makes or breaks the race, the difference between first and second...(Read more)

Men's Tennis -- Kyle Perrotti / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The No. 43 men’s tennis team (3-1) faced what could be its most difficult slate of opponents this season over the weekend. Saturday, the Lions lost, 5-2, to No. 3 University of Georgia...(Read more)

Women's Tennis -- Myles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The women’s tennis team (1-1) split two hard-fought matches over the weekend in its spring season-opening ITA Kickoff. The No. 57 Lions lost to No. 10 Duke in their opening match Friday before sweeping No. 53 Tulane in the consolation match Sunday morning...(Read more)

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports