Updated, 8:26 p.m.

CBS New York reported,

“My rapist—a serial rapist—still remains on campus, even though three of the women he assaulted reported him to my university's Office of Gender-Based and Sexual Misconduct,” Sulkowicz said in a press release. “Every day I live in fear of seeing him. I can't help but think of all the other students who have been trough similar ordeals, knowing the fear they must feel, too. I know all too well how important it is that all universities comply with the Clery Act and the Title IX act of 1972. This is why I am thankful for the steps senator Gillibrand has taken to fight such a widespread problem. I support her cause.”

Sexual assault policy has been in the spotlight at Columbia since last semester, when the Columbia University College Democrats circulated a petition to make the adjudication policy more transparent. This semester, University President Lee Bollinger announced changes to the policy, including that Columbia would release data on how it adjudicates sexual assault and allow the University Senate to amend the President's Advisory Committee on Sexual Assault. Administrators and students discussed their concerns at a town hall last month. “When our young people go on to higher education, it should be an opportunity to learn, grow, pursue their dreams and prepare for their future careers,” Gillibrand said in a press release. “But the price of a college education should not include a 1 in 5 chance of being sexually assaulted. America's colleges and universities are the best in the world. But it is simply unacceptable that they become havens for rape and sexual assault. It is time to take this crisis head on and end the scourge of sexual assault on our college campuses, hold offenders accountable, and keep our students safe.”

kirsten-gillibrand sexual-assault