Arts & Entertainment

April 18, 2014, 6:11 AM

In this week’s issue, Alexandra Villarreal takes a look at one of the most diverse dance companies in the city, Neha Sundaram breaks down the best summer albums to look forward to, and Chancellor Agard reviews the FX adaptation of “Fargo.”

Top Stories

+
Apr 18, 2014, 6:05 AM

Talking to “Transcendence” director Wally Pfister about his star-studded directorial debut.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:00 AM

Despite a slow start, a new TV adaptation of "Fargo" looks promising, according to Chancellor Agard.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:36 AM

David Ecker had unusually high hopes for this year's Bacchanal headliner—but he has to concede to the haters that Lupe really was a fiasco.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 AM

The hip flatbread eatery that has replaced Rigoletto seems to be more style than substance.

Weekend

+
Apr 18, 2014, 6:11 AM

Apr 11, 2014, 6:23 AM

In this week’s issue, Katie McMahon writes about the new epic-length production of “The Mysteries” and Neha Sundaram writes about a new exhibit at the Met. Also, Chris Browner tackles Puccini’s well-loved but lackluster Met production of “Madama Butterfly.” 

Apr 4, 2014, 5:10 AM

In this issue of Weekend, Ally Villarreal looks at the big-name cast of “Of Mice and Men,” starring Broadway newcomers James Franco and Chris O’Dowd; we give you a rundown of the best contemporary poets in honor of National Poetry Month; and Ryan Veling takes you on a guided tour of Prospect Park

Mar 28, 2014, 5:34 AM

This weekend’s lead traces the history of the Roseland Ballroom, a venue at the center of New York’s music scene slated to close in the next two weeks.

Art

+
Apr 11, 2014, 6:02 AM

A new exhibit at the Met traces the politics and religion of 5th to 8th century Southeast Asia, through a wide array of historical artifacts and sculpture.

Mar 27, 2014, 3:01 AM

CU Artist Society provides student artists with materials and models at the annual Draw-a-Thon.

Mar 12, 2014, 1:18 AM

The latest installation in Dodge’s art gallery has all the elements of an edgy show, but still doesn’t shock or delight.

Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 AM

At the MoMA, curators have put together a collection of the artist’s rarely-seen prints.

Books

+
Apr 15, 2014, 2:14 AM
Author Paul Shaw will speak on Wednesday about Philip Grushkin’s contributions to graphic design.
Apr 8, 2014, 2:42 AM
2

On Monday, author Junot Diaz spoke at the Heyman Center about education, activism and his writing.

Apr 1, 2014, 3:06 AM

Former New York Gov. David Paterson donated a collection of documents from his term in office to the Rare Books and Manuscript Library.

Mar 28, 2014, 4:56 AM
1

Nadia Khayrallah sits down with Jenifer Ringer to talk about body image, ballet, and her new book, “Dancing Through It: My Journey in the Ballet.”

Columns

+
Apr 18, 2014, 5:36 AM

Apr 18, 2014, 5:50 AM

To celebrate National Poetry Month, Emily Neil examines the ways poetry is relevant to our daily lives.

Apr 11, 2014, 5:50 AM

In visiting the "A Brush with Asia" exhibition at the Met, Joanna Lee was forced to reflect upon her relationship with the Chinese language and script.

Apr 11, 2014, 5:55 AM

Jenny Singer takes a look at the fiscal motives at work behind the scenes of big Broadway productions, and argues that the musical is being dumbed down in favor of profit.

Dance

+
Apr 18, 2014, 5:40 AM

Two years after returning from hiatus, Dance Theatre of Harlem is working to move back to the forefront in New York's ballet scene.

Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 AM

Barnard seniors have joined forces with 15 dancers to create a diverse program inspired by their travels abroad.

Apr 3, 2014, 2:49 AM

Tamasha brings together both campus and off-campus performances in their circus-themed South Asian cultural showcase.

Mar 25, 2014, 2:55 AM
1

Barnard seniors put their majors on display in the Senior Creative Thesis Dance Concert.

Film

+
Apr 18, 2014, 6:05 AM

Apr 18, 2014, 4:54 AM

Clement Gelly finds moments to admire in a new documentary about artist Mary Frank, but is ultimately unsatisfied.

Apr 17, 2014, 3:23 AM

Campus MovieFest provides 25 student directors with all of the equipment needed to make a five-minute film in a week.

Apr 11, 2014, 5:32 AM

Alexandra Warrick is impressed by Lars Von Trier's powerful and unflinching portrait of the nature of desire, addiction, and domination.

Miscellaneous

+
Apr 18, 2014, 4:53 AM

It’s not the most expansive neighborhood in New York, but from Karaoke to soon tofu, it’s just the place for a study break.

Apr 11, 2014, 6:13 AM

There's more to this area of the city than just going to see the Yankees play.

Apr 10, 2014, 2:59 AM
3

This “Columbia Life” gives students an opportunity to reflect on the student experience in a series of hour-long narrative radio programs on WKCR.

Apr 4, 2014, 5:09 AM
3

It’s National Poetry Month, which means you officially have an excuse to pretend you know something about poetry and attend a bunch of open mics. If you’d prefer a bookstore to the Nuyorican, I’ve compiled a list of the best contemporary poets and the reasons you should know who they are. 

Food & Drink

+
Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 AM

Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 AM
3

The restaurant, which has faced opposition from neighbors, is temporarily closed after a particularly bad performance on a health inspection.

Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 AM
1

The Heights has planned a soft opening for this Friday, open only to invited guests, ahead of a larger reopening.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:19 AM
2

The newest restaurant on Amsterdam offers a diverse variety of foods at a student-friendly price.

Music

+
Apr 18, 2014, 6:01 AM

Neha Sundaram takes a look at the season's up-and-coming hit album releases.

Apr 17, 2014, 3:14 AM
1

inc. discusses R&B roots, the desert and its upcoming performance at WBAR-B-B-Q.

Apr 11, 2014, 6:03 AM

Saint Pepsi will play in Altschul Atrium tonight, but we caught up with him before his show to talk about his music.

Apr 10, 2014, 2:59 AM

Student artists California Love and Nøvachørd will take the stage this Saturday at Bacchanal as two of the opening acts.

Style

+
Feb 27, 2014, 3:06 AM

Lunar Gala celebrates its 35th anniversary with “Midnight Trance,” commemorating the Year of the Horse.

Feb 7, 2014, 6:13 AM

Extravagance isn’t often associated with the 1930s, but a new Fashion Institute of Technology exhibit is showcasing the decade’s nicest duds.

Oct 25, 2013, 5:06 AM

Jean Paul Gaultier displays whimsical fashion in a new exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum.

Oct 16, 2013, 1:05 AM
1

A Dental School alumna works with Lend-A-Hand India to empower youth in urban and rural India.

Television

+
Apr 18, 2014, 5:00 AM

Apr 4, 2014, 5:10 AM

The fourth-season premiere of 'Game of Thrones' starts slow, but Chancellor Agard is convinced that table-setting will soon give way to the blood, lust, and action we've all been waiting for.

Jan 24, 2014, 5:06 AM

Chancellor Agard welcomes the return of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman in the BBC adaptation which never fails to thrill.

Nov 7, 2013, 4:03 AM

Junior who starred in Justin Timberlake video has landed a role in “The Sound of Music.”

Theater

+
Apr 18, 2014, 5:47 AM

An underwhelming adaptation doesn’t do justice to the more cerebral original in “Bullets Over Broadway.”

Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 AM

MFA students will perform "A Bright Room Called Day," by Tony Kushner, CC '78, as part of a theater direction senior thesis project.

Apr 11, 2014, 5:38 AM

Chris Browner is disappointed by the Met's sub par rendering of "Madama Butterfly," which should have been a classic, but accessible opera.

Apr 11, 2014, 5:46 AM
1

A new production at The Flea Theater is retelling the story of the Bible, start to finish, in a six-hour epic undertaking.