Trinity Lester / Staff Photographer

Junzi Kitchen, a modern Chinese restaurant specializing in noodle bowls and chun bing wraps, will open in early May.

Junzi Kitchen, a casual, modern Chinese restaurant, will be joining Morningside Heights in early May on Broadway between 112th and 113th streets, next to Milano Market. It will be the fourth new restaurant, alongside Shake Shack, Food Dried Hot Pot, and Shaking Crab, to open in the Columbia neighborhood this year.

Started by three Yale University graduate students, Junzi Kitchen currently has one location in New Haven, Connecticut, which opened in October 2015. Junzi’s Columbia location—which will occupy the former Deluxe Diner space—will have a similar menu to the first: The restaurant’s Northern Chinese-inspired menu consists of noodle bowls and chun bing wraps, which are filled with a variety of seasonal meats, vegetables, and garnishes that customers can select.

Junzi Kitchen will also offer a new “Night Lunch” menu that will become available soon after the restaurant’s launch. They will serve food inspired by traditional Chinese street food, such as mala noodles and pork belly bing, along with more experimental dishes from local chefs the restaurant will partner with.

“The Junzi team is excited to have evolved our food, foundation, and experience from our first New Haven location and offer it to New York City,” Junzi Kitchen co-founder Yong Zhao said in a statement. “We hope that by bringing together our traditional food and culture in a modern American style of dining, we can add to New York’s ever-growing and changing culinary landscape.”

sophie.kossakowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Junzi Kitchen Deluxe