Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

Amigo's, well known among students for their drink deals, closed on Dec. 22.

Mexican restaurant Amigos, renowned among Columbia students for its bottomless margaritas and fishbowl drinks, closed just before Christmas—but students said their memories of the beloved Morningside Heights haunt will live on.

The restaurant’s location at 113th Street and Broadway made it a convenient and popular choice for many students since its opening in 2013. At the time it opened, the restaurant was intended as a pop-up that was expected to close after four months, according to the New York Times.

While rumors of the restaurant’s closing circulated within the Columbia community for weeks leading up to break, no confirmation was given to patrons or employees until Dec. 22, when it was announced to the restaurant’s staff. According to a former staff member, there were signs of closing in the days leading up to the announcement.

“We didn’t have any gas, so there was no heat. We didn’t have a menu. We weren’t making quite as many tips as we used to,” said Roland Davidson, a former waiter at Amigos.

Davidson said that the restaurant’s manager first told the staff of the closing at 6 p.m. on Dec. 22 when they came in for their regular shift, and the restaurant closed permanently the next day. Amigos’ management could not be reached for comment.

Amigos was popular among students for its cheap drinks and weeknight specials, including unlimited quesadillas and tacos as well as bottomless brunches.

“I’m definitely going to miss Amigos,” Bridget Harrison, BC ’19, said. “I went there a few times with my sister, and I have great memories of bonding over $5 margaritas. It’ll be sad not to have it anymore.”

“It is devastating that our favorite Mexican all-you-can-eat-and-drink restaurant is closing—a true abomination,” Ashley Rodriguez, SEAS ’19, said. “Not as bad as Cannon’s, but a similar heartbreak.”

sophie.kossakowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Amigo's