Jennie Rose Halperin

Sun, Nov 29, 2009, 11:27pm

In the exhibit “Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel,” fashion designer Iris Apfel's wardrobe, which includes out-there items like a Scherrer coat made all of feathers, is on display.

Sun, Nov 15, 2009, 7:42pm

Indeed, every culture in history has some sort of fermented food—ranging from the delicious (miso, wine, and kombucha) to the strange (African sorghum beer, which smells like vomit).

Sun, Oct 18, 2009, 10:45pm

As the Western world continues to assert its dominance, “world” music is necessarily affected by it, and the sounds that these musicians are mimicking or plainly stealing, the sounds that captivated anthropologists one hundred years ago, are disappearing.

Tue, Sep 22, 2009, 10:37pm

E-mail—along with high fuel prices and the recession—has severely cut the number of mail-related songs, as well as cut mail delivery by 12 million pieces.

Sun, Apr 19, 2009, 11:05pm

CORRECTION APPENDED

Tue, Apr 14, 2009, 9:13pm

Little Egypt brought belly dancing in the United States, but her history and true identity remain fascinatingly shrouded in mystery.

Tue, Mar 31, 2009, 9:00pm

With the fate of federal arts funding up in the air, we might benefit from a history lesson, and the wise words of some folk songs.

Wed, Feb 25, 2009, 11:06pm

Looking through Jeff Lewis’ sketchbooks, I realize why he compels me. The almost impossibly talented comic artist and singer-songwriter is simultaneously self-deprecating and eloquent, nerdy and too cool.

Tue, Feb 24, 2009, 10:04pm

“Going to the movies just isn’t the same,” my mother always says as we climb the escalator to the top floor of the multiplex, stale popcorn in hand, to shiver through a 90-minute flick.

Tue, Feb 10, 2009, 11:47pm

“Sixteen Tons” was a surprise hit for Tennessee Ernie Ford in 1955.

Pages