Students say University mishandled sexual assault cases, as administrators discuss policy

• WORKING ON IT | Sejal Singh, CC ’15 and Columbia University Democrats president (center), was one of the student leaders to meet with PACSA last week.

Amid concerns over the University’s judicial process for sexual assault cases, the President’s Advisory Committee on Sexual Assault discussed the policy with students last week—but any changes will have to wait until next semester.

Earlier this semester, Columbia University Democrats circulated a petition that called for Columbia to release more data about how the University adjudicates sexual assaults. Then just last week, the New York Post published a story that included interviews with three students who claimed the University mishandled their sexual assault cases.

In discussion

After PACSA reviewed the Dems’ petition last month, it assembled a subcommittee to discuss concerns with students.

University Senator Marc Heinrich, CC ’16, and Dems President Sejal Singh, CC ’15, who were both present at the subcommittee’s meeting last Thursday, agreed that the meeting—which was the result of “months of work,” according to Heinrich—was productive.

“Student representatives are working closely with administrators, and we hope to see meaningful policy changes as early as next semester,” Heinrich said.

“I thought it was a great conversation and the student reps were able to share their concerns. We spent most of the time being sure we understood all aspects of the concerns presented,” Interim Dean of Student Affairs Terry Martinez, who sits on PACSA, said in an email.

Martinez said that the subcommittee will bring the concerns back to the full PACSA for continued discussions.

“I think we have a good set of policies and procedures in place, but we can always look to see if we can do a better job,” Martinez said. “This includes education for both women and men about sexual assault and consent, as well as what to expect from the process for both sides—from the complainant and respondent.”

Singh said that the meeting had been constructive, but that she felt disappointed that it took so long to gain an audience with PACSA.

“We find it really disturbing students thought that they were treated so unfairly that they had to go all the way to the Post to get their voices heard,” she said.

‘All the odds are against us’

The New York Post article reported that three Columbia students were assaulted by an athlete multiple times between fall 2011 and April 2013. The women said that they were unhappy with how the University handled their cases.

A Student Affairs spokesperson declined to comment on the specific cases, citing federal privacy concerns.

Two of the women quoted in the Post article told Spectator that they felt no support from the University during the process—one of the women’s cases didn’t make it to hearing, and the other student lost her case after an eight-month-long process.

The Office of Student Services for Gender-Based and Sexual Misconduct’s website states that its official policy is that the adjudication process should take, at most, 60 days.

“I felt like instead of Columbia giving me the greatest opportunity to present my case, the focus was just on getting me through the process as quickly as possible,” the first woman, who was granted anonymity out of concern of retaliation, said.

She added that she felt confused throughout the process and was unaware of what resources were available to her.

“They told me I didn’t have enough evidence, but it was never clear to me who decided that,” she said.

“I had to very quickly adjust between believing, naively, that the office wanted to help, and then realizing that I really just had to advocate for myself,” the first woman said. “It’s no wonder people don’t report. If I were truly looking for justice, I would not go to that office again.”

The second woman, who was also granted anonymity out of concern of retaliation, agreed that she felt a lack of support from the University during the process.

“The school basically told us, ‘No, you’re wrong, and we’re going to put you through an eight-month ordeal and then tell you again that you’re wrong,’” the second woman said.

“I know a lot of women who’ve been raped on this campus. I’d say that a lot of people just don’t bother going through any process at all because they think the school is going to tell them to shut up,” she added.

She said that she would only advise other women to go forward with their cases if they were willing to put up a fight.

“All the odds are against us,” she said.

Making changes?

Both of the women believe that the petition submitted to PACSA last week was a good starting point and said that they hope basic data about the adjudication of sexual assault could lead to changes in campus culture.

“If people could see the ratio of the number of cases reported to the number of cases that have any real consequence, that would really make a difference,” the first woman said.

The University currently only releases data on the number of sexual assaults reported on campus, which is consistent with the Clery Act. In 2012—the year with the most recent data available—Columbia reported 12 sexual assaults on campus.

PACSA can ultimately make recommendations about what data should be released.

Since the Dems’ petition surfaced in October, administrators have said that their primary concern is protecting the confidentiality of students involved.

“We’re concerned that disclosing statistics may cause those students going through the process to feel as if their cases have been identified and broadcast publicly to the community,” a spokesperson for the Office of Student Services for Gender-Based and Sexual Misconduct said in an email last month.

Still, the spokesperson said that the office thought it was important to have “candid discussions about these matters and continually review processes in order to address concerns about safety, fairness, transparency, and privacy.”

“My view is that any sexual assault on campus is one too many,” President Lee Bollinger said in an interview with Spectator last month. “The staff—the people who manage this area—are very concerned that more data could inadvertently and unfairly be used to identify people, which is one of the really important elements involved in this.”

“But, maybe there are things that could be disclosed that would not jeopardize the fundamental issue of privacy. And I’m willing to consider those things in the context of the advisory committee that we have,” Bollinger said.

Tracey Wang and Samantha Cooney contributed reporting.

Corrections: A previous version of this article contained the word “implicit” in Terry Martinez’s quote, which was a typing error on the part of her spokesperson. An earlier version of this article misquoted Singh. Spectator regrets the errors.

emma.bogler@columbiaspectator.com  |  @ebbogz

Hey all perps out there, rush and do your evil deed. Columbia administrators say it's still ok. (Buncha dumbf#@#@s, aren't they?)

+1
+3
-1
Sigh posted on

The CU Dems are PR-whoring this whole issue.

+1
-5
-1
realist posted on

Report crimes to the cops, and then the University will have to report them to the public. It's not technically considered a crime until the criminal justice system is involved. Telling your RA is not the same as calling the police.

+1
+7
-1

Sexual assault cases are mishandled all the time by colleges and universities, whether due to incompetence or the over-riding desire to protect the university. If you sexually assaulted, the first thing to do is call 911, *not* the campus security or student life. Do not shower or change your clothes. The medical staff can get DNA samples that will identify your attacked without anyone at the university being able to say that there is not enough evidence. Once it is reported as a crime and ongoing investigation, the university will have to deal with it; they will not be able to brush you aside, or make you feel that you might as well drop the case because they are not with you. Don't be a victim either to your attacker or to university administrators. I say that is a parent of girls who has been in university administration for a long time.

+1
+7
-1
You voted '+1'.

Great comments with great, concrete guidance above. Also, one addition. It is also not considered a crime if it is brought to the senior Athletic Administrators' attention. Look at the chain of command. Unfortunately most fellow students have left for break and may also have missed NY Post/News coverage. Too bad this was not published in the Sports Section under Football.

+1
-3
-1

They all had hearings and a trial. Sounds more like they didn't like the outcomes. If it is a matter of he said she said, woman cannot expect 100 percent victories. I do agree with if you feel you are a victim of a crime, call the police and not campus security.

+1
-18
-1

Wow a Columbia administrator admits to being incompetent and ineffective. Ok, that's the right step. What took you so goddamned long?

+1
-8
-1

the 'hearings' and 'trial' within CU sounded more like, what do they call it, a 'kangaroo court'. Just because the process is referred to as a 'hearing' and a 'trial' doesn't mean it was judiciously adjudicated.

+1
-2
-1

'realist' gives great guidance. If sexual harassment or assault happens to you on the Columbia U campus or even if not on the Columbia University Campus but still by a professor, an administrator, another student within their capacity as a member of Columbia, still go directly to the NYPD. Do not first report it to Columbia U. Even if the intentions of the administration as described in this article are genuine and the administration is trying to reach contemporary standards in regard to sexual harassment and assault, the reality is that Columbia U is not there yet. So if it happens to you, go directly to NYPD. The NYPD professionals will give you good reliable guidance.

+1
-10
-1

It would be interesting to see the accounting for Public Safety's budget...I feel that would be a more interesting story.

+1
-15
-1
Wondering posted on

Please don't tell me the "athlete" is a member of the team I suspect... Someone should do something about those guys once and for all.

+1
-3
-1