Katherine Gerberich / Staff Photographer

The union represents just under 200 adjunct, term, and other full-time, non-tenure-track faculty members.

The Barnard contingent faculty union’s first contract has gone into effect for the 2017-2018 academic year.

The union represents just under 200 adjunct, term, and other full-time, non-tenure-track faculty members. These professors are hired on semesterly, yearly, or multiyear contracts and are limited in the number of courses they may teach for the duration of their appointment.

For these faculty members, a contract was a means of securing advances in job security, wages, and benefits that are more comparable to those full-time, tenure-track faculty receive.

The contract—which was agreed to in February, narrowly averting a strike—provides for a minimum adjunct base pay of $10,000 for courses of three credits or more by 2021, an increase of $4,000. Term faculty will receive a minimum of $70,000 per year by 2021, an increase of $10,000.

Barnard will additionally contribute half of the percentage it allocates for full-time faculty benefits toward contingent faculty benefits, which include dental, vision, and medical coverage, for adjuncts teaching nine credits or more in an academic year, while adjunct faculty not meeting this threshold will now have the option to purchase a plan at full value.

Term faculty will continue to be covered under the same benefits plan as full-time faculty.

In an email to the student body sent Wednesday, Provost and Dean of the Faculty Linda Bell and Chief Operating Officer Robert Goldberg wrote that the college had “efficiently staffed 2017-18 academic year courses, offering full-year teaching assignments to contingent faculty by the June 1 contract deadline.”

This is in keeping with the job security components of the contract, which requires that the college notify term faculty by Aug. 30 of the year prior to their contract expiring that they will not be rehired. By contrast, adjunct faculty must only be notified by June 1 that they will not be rehired in September.

Contingent faculty who are not rehired are eligible for severance pay commensurate to the amount of time spent working at Barnard.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

contingent-faculty-union barnard