Katherine Gerberich / Staff Photographer

Construction on the building began in 2016 and will be completed by August 2018.

“With less than a year until its official opening, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Teaching and Learning Center is entering its fourth and final phase of construction,” said Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg and Provost and Dean of the Faculty Linda Bell in a joint email sent to the Barnard community on Wednesday.

“Over the summer, work focused on installing the façade, and we are only weeks away from finishing this phase of the project,” the email said. “We can look ahead to landscaping work beginning in the spring semester, which will include the restoration of the lawn.”

Construction on the building began in 2016 with the first two phases consisting of abatement and demolition and rock excavation.

When completed, the Milstein Center will reach 11 stories and will house the Center for Research on Women, the Athena Center for Leadership Studies, a computational science center, technology labs, classrooms, departmental offices, a café, and the library, which is currently temporarily housed in the LeFrak Center.

Of the building’s four exterior walls, two will be partitions connecting the building to Altschul Hall on the north side and to Barnard Annex on the south side.

The installation of elevators this fall will allow for the removal of exterior building supports on the Claremont Avenue side of the building, which are currently used to move people and materials to each of the building’s floors.

Final plans for the building were released in November 2016 after a controversial planning process where faculty and staff expressed significant concern about the space allocated to the library in the original plans.

Funding for the building comes from private gifts as well as through the Bold Standard, a $400 million capital campaign launched by former President Debora Spar in 2016. A quarter of the funds raised is designated for the $150 million Milstein Center. To date, the Bold Standard has raised a total of $315 million to support all of its campaign priorities.

The Milstein Center is set to receive a temporary certificate of occupancy this spring and will open in August 2018.

jodi.lessner@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

milstein-center barnard