Xavier Dade / Staff Photographer

Conservative vlogger Candace Owens speaks at the CUCR event on Tuesday.

Over two dozen people attended a Columbia University College Republicans event where Candace Owens, a conservative vlogger, discussed her experience as a black conservative woman.

The event was guarded by three public safety officers, though no protesters attended.

CUCR’s new speaker series this semester reverted to a more moderate spectrum of guests than last semester, including former Donald Trump aide Matt Braynard and Mark Mix, president of the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation, a nonprofit devoted to eliminating “coercive union power.”

During the event, Owens described her journey to conservatism. Since she released her viral video titled “Mom, Dad...I’m a Conservative,” she said she felt that her blackness was up for debate. This was not the first time she experienced this feeling. While growing up, she felt that her peers considered her “not black enough” due to her intellectual interests.

“I had betrayed blackness because I chose novels over hip-hop music. I had betrayed blackness by speaking proper English,” Owens said.

Owens’ theory is that the archetype of the uneducated black American is rooted in Lyndon B. Johnson’s Great Society program and reinforced by Democrats in an effort to draw in more black voters. She believes Democrats push a narrative of the racist Republicans and generous Democrats in order to gain votes. Owens also blames welfare as the primary inhibitor of black success, claiming that it incentivizes black Americans to remain in poverty.

“Welfare is hurting black people. They literally incentivize you to keep having babies out of wedlock,” she said.

Owens also warned that the media, even pro-Trump media, is inherently skewed. She believes major news sources, such as the New York Times and the Washington Post, will create stories to fit a specific narrative.

“I think the media is extremely biased, even Breitbart, they’re obviously biased towards pro-Trump,” she said.

CUCR continues their speaker series next week with former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci.

kate.huangpu@columbiaspectator.com | @columbiaspec

CUCR Candace Owens