Opinion | Op-eds

Progress is as necessary as justice

“Let’s hold people responsible for their actions and tell them that they can't perpetrate hate one day, and wear Columbia Blue another,” cried one student on Facebook. In light of the rapid media response to Chad Washington’s alleged hate-based assault of an Asian-American Columbia student earlier this month, students have shared their reactions vocally. The rhetoric has been inflammatory, and the arguments have been vindictive. It seems that Washington’s alleged crime against an individual has become something else entirely: a crime against our community.

The student I quoted posted on a class page on Facebook seeking support for a petition, “Suspend and Remove Columbia Athletes who Perpetrate Bias and Discrimination.” As of now, 148 people have signed this petition. This reflects a polarized group’s desire to see justice served to the athletes involved in this developing case and any of their affiliates or cohorts. Comments on this petition have been visceral: “Get rid of them and anyone who condoned what they said.” For some, it seems that the only resolution that goes far enough is these athletes’ immediate expulsion, or at the very least, their suspension from the team. In these students’ eyes, those are the only courses of action drastic enough to prove that Columbia and its athletics department is taking a strong stance against discrimination.

Evidently, some students have not been satisfied with either the scale or the speed of the administration’s response to this incident. I feel this dissatisfaction stems largely from our collective obfuscation regarding what exactly it is that our administration should achieve in its response to this incident. Undeniably, there has been a deep wound inflicted on our community, and an internal rift has become more clearly defined. After skimming comments on various articles and Facebook posts regarding the incident, I’ve seen a spectrum of responses with students generally gravitating toward one of two sides: They either want to inflict swift and unforgiving punishment on the football players and to reevaluate the entire program, or they want to give the athletics department time to investigate the matter thoroughly before making a final judgment on what the institutional response will be.

I’ll be forthright: I fall in the second camp. Why? The approach of a considered response is grounded in logical fact-finding rather than emotional or moral compulsion. That’s not to say that we shouldn’t be morally compelled to demand justice, or that we should dismiss our emotional responses to the situation. We’re only human. But when we’re looking for an institution to respond to an incident like this, we have to understand that the preservation and improvement of the community supersedes the opinions of a minority on campus as an impetus for action. It is our community that has been wounded, thus it is our community that must be healed. Punishing the alleged perpetrators of the crime immediately may make the victim of the crime and his supporters feel as though justice has been served, but it is only a short-term response. As spectators viewing the incident through media, we must also look at the bigger picture and focus on a long-term response because we are removed from the crime itself in a way that Washington and his victim are not. 

Punishing and reprimanding the perpetrators is essential, but this process does not demand or benefit from the addition of our emotions. Our opinions cannot and should not influence how either the government or the University’s law is upheld in this case. The objective consequences of Washington’s actions, in particular, should be determined between Washington, the legal authorities, and any individuals the University selects to hold a panel review. They should be given a reasonable amount of time to reach a decision about these consequences, for they cannot be made overnight. While the appropriate individuals focus on the specific response to the incident, let us focus on a communal response to the larger problem it brings to mind before the polarization this incident has created dissipates and a tremendous opportunity slips by. 

Our problem is addressing a culture of discrimination and a culture that enables violence. We have to look at a more sustained response that targets a system rather than an individual. One such response I agree strongly with is a petition drafted by outgoing presidents and chairs of student councils and governing boards, calling for a full investigation of the athletics department to discover to what extent it systematically condones the behavior that resulted in the incident earlier this month. This approach envisions effecting change that will produce a better community, and does not focus on reprimanding select individuals.

As a student body, we should think seriously about what actions we want to push our administration to take. This requires a tempered attitude in approaching the problem at hand. Moving forward, our primary goal is to strive towards ensuring that this kind of crime is never repeated, and that this kind of hate is no longer perpetuated. We must direct our efforts as students toward investigating the structures that enabled this incident. 

Progress is as necessary as justice. 

The author is a Columbia College first-year. He is a Spectator associate design editor.

BobJ posted on

Your faculty consists of convicted murderers and robbers. What an awesome institution you have!

+1
-25
-1
Burhan Sandhu posted on

"My" faculty, so far, consists of ten teachers, of whom two were of the most critical, perspective-changing individuals I've met in my life. I am not Columbia, nor do I possess Columbia. I am simply the smallest part of the whole, and that's where I thing institutional change has to start. Your sarcasm is evidently appreciated, but why bother stating what you find so obvious? I don't see a call to action, friend.

+1
-24
-1

Burhan, You will one day realize that youth led you to say that structures are responsible.

In fact nothing and nobody is responsible.

The reason for that is that the President of your university and his team are irresponsible people. They are in gravy train jobs, and are content to keep them.

+1
-22
-1
Burhan Sandhu posted on

Apologies for the lack of a response. I just dug this up again to see if anyone had thoughts. You're probably right - I do realize that my youth blinds me to the realities that obstruct ideals. My challenge to those that are more mature, those who possess the wisdom of experience, is that they work to realize the same ideals they must have harbored when they were younger - what is their breaking point, why do they let these ideals go? People often dismiss these questions, saying I'll learn when the failures of life teach me. An optimist at heart, I always retort that that answer's not good enough. You (accurately) note that Columbia's bureaucratic structures did, do, and will continue to fail to shoulder this onus of responsibility, indeed because of the comfort in staying the same. But does that make it any less incumbent on me and those that wish to contest this institution's reality to attempt to remind these individuals of their responsibility? I would say no.

+1
-21
-1

shamballa bracelet wholesale cheap
by way of . With their and all of personal . Traditional assure carrying with your own that is however styles and sizes the actual associated 2013 obd2,autocom cdp,vas 5054a,x431,gm tech2 are fantastic for are certainly not Adrian Billings at supporters
chinese crystal oval bead4
Adrian's range and other for instance tiers

Saludos
Switch your BMW ICOM BMW ISIS ISID device on. Then slide your BMW's important into the vehicle's ignition. Switch to "On." This may activate the BMW's electrical array. Depending on the BMW ICOM ISID, and also the program you are operating with, you may also have to have an active engine. If this really is the case, start off the automobile's engine at this time.
When I was asked to step into the "transition" zone, I dreamt of double dipping on my severance package. Reality: Over a year later, with my severance a distant memory, I ultimately found an incredible job.
Having a lump in my throat and some butterfly's in my belly, I backed her out of the drive and down the street, and headed down the road towards the highway. As I approached the on ramp I felt almost sick. If I took her up on that highway and she nonetheless ran as undesirable as she employed to, I was in to get a long unpleasant ride. There was only one particular way I would know if all this stuff worked, so up the ramp we went.
Quite a few people today talk about automobile keys and there are various keys inside the industry.nexiq usb link
But the question is which one is your most effective automobile important for Mercedes Benz. As to this question, I need to say it depends upon what kind of function you expect.vas 5054
If you want to do your auto diagnosis much more smoothly, I suggest the AK 500 crucial programmer for the Mercedes Benz. Then let's understand a thing about this auto key programmer.

Related Search:
MB star c4

oki chip

lexia 3 pp2000

+1
-39
-1