Opinion | Staff Editorials

We're all in this together

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. But for Columbia students, it’s also the most stressful time of the year. Finals are upon us, and may PrezBo have mercy on our souls.

In the spirit of the season, and with sanity in mind, we should all be able to agree: It’s time to replace competition with compassion.

Stress affects all of us, and ignoring it or suppressing it contributes to a Columbia climate not conducive to mental health. But while there are constructive ways to talk about stress, there are also destructive ways to do so.

Everyone on this campus has, at one time or another, played the “stress game” in casual encounters on campus. (Some might also call it “humblebragging.”) “I have finals in the next two days!” might be met with the response, “Oh, that’s nothing, I have a 600-page paper due in an hour!” 

At a fundamental level, this sort of conversation is irritating and impersonal. It also makes the fog of work and stress at Columbia seem dense and impenetrable. Worst of all, it prioritizes self-aggrandizement over actually finding assistance, comfort, and support. It’s a uniquely selfish method of commiseration.

Let’s work not to increase stress, but to decrease it when possible. Give your friends and peers the benefit of the doubt this week—they have just as much work as you do. Being thoughtful and considerate goes a long way toward making everyone feel more comfortable and less stressed.

We know the temptation to camp in Butler for 48 consecutive hours during finals, to spend every waking moment memorizing every word of your textbook, to breathe in nothing but the subject matter of your next test, can be overwhelming.

This practice is counterproductive. Taking time to take care of yourself, including, but not limited to, simple things like eating regularly and getting enough sleep will make you more efficient. Finals season at Columbia is that rare time of year when traditions abound—be it Orgo Night, Midnight Breakfast, or Primal Scream—and there are plenty of events where we can come together to blow off steam. 

We realize that this is a sentiment often repeated around the holidays—everyone and their mother (especially your mother) will tell you to stay sane and not stress so much. That’s fine. That’s great. That’s not realistic. 

We’re not advocating a no-stress policy—we’re advocating a no-unnecessary-stress policy. In fact, we sincerely hope you stress productively and get that studying done. What we’re asking for is campus-wide compassion for each other.

Forgive us for the following analogy, but: We’re not pirates, alone in open waters and fighting over the same chest of gold. We’re all in the same boat, and there’s enough treasure for all of us.

Meet the editorial board »

To respond to this staff editorial, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

this was kinda dumb

+1
+12
-1

exceedingly

+1
0
-1

That's a bullshit comment. Considering that most of the people on E-bored are upperclassmen, I believe that they have a pretty decent understanding of the considerable lack of consideration that takes place during finals. Have a fucking heart, and recognize that they are challenging the general culture of stressed students.

+1
-1
-1
The Great Derper posted on

I wouldn't call it 'challenging.' More like, 'discussing.' Discussing in a kind of wishy-washy, only-half-engaged sort of way... which I think is why that negative comment up there is getting such positive feedback.

+1
-3
-1
The Great Derper posted on

That the Spec's editorial board should be the entity to lecture the student body on avoiding self-aggrandizing and corrosive 'stress games' is kind of funny.

+1
-1
-1