Shane Brasil-Wadsworth is a transfer student from Las Vegas and is currently in the first term of his junior year in Columbia College. He has chosen to major in philosophy and is trying to fit a history major in as well. His views are strongly informed by what he hopes to be a sophisticated brand of consequentialism, and he abhors partisanism of all varieties. Outside of school his foremost interests include Vladimir Nabokov, French musical films, and Pembroke Welsh Corgis. He spends an unjustifiable amount of time photographing squirrels and is also locked in futile yet operose efforts to learn French and to undo social media. Please email him at sb4056@columbia.edu to discuss his writing.

Shane Brasil-Wadsworth is a junior in Columbia College

MIMI EVANS

Read More
By SHANE BRASIL-WADSWORTH
Emma Kenny-Pessia / Staff Illustrator

Discourse & Debate: Meet Spectator’s spring 2018 Discourse & Debate contributors

Photos by Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

Mimi Evans is a writer for the satirical women’s magazine Reductress and a contributor to McSweeney’s. She loves late-night talk shows, thrift shopping, and talking about herself in the third person. She is currently obtaining her undergraduate degree in creative writing at Columbia University with a (self-declared) focus on satire and American humor. She intends to disarm her fellow debaters with wit, humor, and the occasional coherent argument. Follow her on Twitter @IamMimiEvans.

Mimi Evans is a junior in Columbia College

HEVEN HAILE

Read More
By MIMI EVANS

Heven Haile is an online extroverted first-year majoring in African-American studies and political science. Her hobbies include blissfully listening to Frank Ocean and Solange in a dark room, destroying oppressive systems, and stanning black women on Twitter. She is a first-year representative for the Black Students’ Organization and a member of the Ethiopian Eritrean Student Association. In her spare time she enjoys watching films, playing lacrosse, and writing fictional tales. Add her on twitter @_Heyonce_ for some chuckles and enlightening content.

Heven Haile is a first-year in Columbia College

Read More
By HEVEN HAILE

Ethan Hastings is a sophomore in Columbia College studying philosophy and economics. He is particularly interested in ethics and moral philosophy, but he also wants to make money when he graduates. He enjoys arguing over anything and everything, watching professional basketball (big Lebron fan), and reading the work of David Foster Wallace. His other interests include wasting copious amounts of time on YouTube and Twitter, playing Super Smash Bros., and listening to progressive rock. He doesn’t mind holding the minority opinion, so you can email him at ehh2133@columbia.edu with some kind, constructive criticism.

Ethan Hastings is a sophomore in Columbia College.

Read More
By ETHAN HASTINGS

Avah Toomer is a sophomore in Columbia College studying Francophone studies and medicine, literature, and society. When not suffering from a general identity crisis over the pronunciation of her name—Is it AY-vuh or AH-vuh? Who knows!—she can be found in her Wien single streaming period dramas or writing poetry and short fiction. Her writing is characterized by intricate extended metaphors and her overzealous use of the ampersand & the ellipsis… no matter how inappropriate their placement may be. Her identity as a black woman equips her with an irrevocable, tinted lens through which all of her experiences and opinions are filtered; however, she hopes to surprise people with her standpoint on certain topics, as they may not always be what you’d expect. Although she tends to avoid large social gatherings, Avah loves nothing more than a good conversation. Feel free to email her at ast2166@columbia.edu or message her on Facebook if you ever want to grab coffee and discuss anything, including (but not limited to): conspiracy theories, public health politics, the merits of living in Wien (the sink is so convenient and she will fight anyone who says otherwise!), or just to help her perfect her conversational French.

Avah Toomer is a sophomore in Columbia College.

Read More
By AVAH TOOMER

To respond to this installment of Discourse & Debate, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.