Around Campus
@eliteworldphotographer / via Instagram

Congratulations on getting into Barnumbia! Now that many of you have made a decision about where you’ll go to school, Required Reading’s going to start getting into the nitty-gritty details about life in MoHi. Subscribe to never miss a beat.

Sure, academics and clubs and first-year dorms are all important things to consider when deciding where to settle down for the next four years, but let’s be real: Food should also be a component in your college-deciding algorithm.

Starting next year, the dining halls will be able to satisfy your needs 24/7, but after a couple of weeks, I kid you not, you’ll start to get tired of pizza, mozzarella sticks, and Hewitt’s cold tofu bar. Fortunately for you, that’s where MoHi comes in. If you want to feel like a real-life adult, you could always buy food and cook it yourself, but perhaps that’s asking a bit too much. Instead, you could try one of the many restaurants between 110th and 125th. Here are our select faves.

Community Food & Juice

Community Food & Juice is the place to go if you’re a weekend bruncher, but it also serves lunch and dinner if you’re more tradish. Community has a full bar and serves your typical American food that’s mostly organic.

If you’re feeling fancy and want to eat out on a school night, you should expect to get a table pretty quickly. However, this place will be completely filled up by 8:30 a.m. on the weekend, so you either gotta wake up super early to beat the breakfast crowd or patiently wait your turn outside like everyone else.

• Price: $$$
  • Located: Between 112th and 113th and Broadway
  • Best for: Brunch
  • Similar spots: Artopolis Espresso

Mill Korean

Mill Korean serves all your traditional Korean food. The restaurant is on the smaller side, but people don’t usually have an issue finding a table (there’s also the option to order takeout, either by calling in or on GrubHub). Try the mandu guk and hwae bibimbap, as well as their lunch special.

Dig Inn

Dig Inn has a set menu every day. You go up to the counter and see what’s being served right in front of you—then you choose a grain, a protein, and two sides to fill a bowl. You can either eat in store or take it with you.

Dig Inn is a good option if you’re feeling on the healthier side. It serves only seasonal food, and everything in the kitchen comes from small-business farmers and is made on-site.

Pro tip: The mac ’n’ cheese is always a favorite, though if you get it when you come here, take note that it tastes more earthythan cheesy.

• Price: $$
  • Best for: Lunch and dinner
  • Similar spots: Nothing super similar, but maybe Sweetgreen (they serve really healthy salads)

Famous Famiglia Pizza

My favorite slice in MoHi tbh (with the exception of the Diana Center café’s white pizza). A pretty sizeable regular cheese slice costs $2.75, and you can either eat there or take it out.

• Price: $
  • Located: 111th and Broadway
  • Best for: Pizza is good for any meal :)
  • Similar spots: Koronet, V&T

Mel's Burger Bar

Mel’s serves all your favorite American food, including burgers, legendary mac ’n’ cheese balls, fried pickles, milkshakes (which can also come spiked), and so much more. As another bonus, Mel’s turns into a bar at about 11 p.m.

• Price: $$$
  • Located: Between 110th and 111th and Broadway
  • Best for: Dinner
  • Similar spots: The Heights, 1020 (both bars)

So as you can see, you’re spoiled for choices here, both in the dining halls, in the grocery stores, and in our neighborhood restaurants. You don’t need to worry about going hungry—you only need to worry about all these restaurants eating up your cash.

Want to know where else you can chow in MoHi? Let us know on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard sophomore. She is a big fan of brunch culture. Reach her at Artopolis or at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

morningside heights restaurants food