Around Campus
@alumniofcolumbiacollege /

Whether it be for your mental well-being or to help you find the medicine you need to battle a particularly nasty cold, Columbia and Barnard have loads of resources available to help you stay healthy.

Here’s a consolidated list of all the services available to you. Be sure to bookmark this page and come back to it whenever you’re in a jam. You’ll thank us later ;).

Mental health

CPS—CC/SEAS/GS only

• Phone: 212-854-2878
  • Website: Here
  • Location: Eigth floor of Lerner Hall

Columbia College, School of Engineering and Applied Science, and General Studies students should rely on Counseling and Psychological Services for individual and group counseling. CPS offers short-term counseling for all types of mental health concerns. The service is free.

To make an appointment, call and ask to speak with a counselor. You’ll be scheduled for a phone appointment soon after. After the phone conversation, you’ll arrange a face-to-face appointment. Students can request a specific counselor or let CPS choose for them. (The former is good if you would like to speak with someone who shares a similar ethnicity, identity, etc., but it might also lead to having a longer wait for your in-person consultation.)

Appointments are pretty hard to get right away, but there are several ways to get more immediate care. If you have a problem after hours, or have an urgent psychiatric emergency, you can call either the phone number above or contact Mt. Sinai - St. Luke’s psychiatric emergency room directly (212-523-3347).

You can also attend walk-in hours, which work on a first-come, first-served basis. The closest walk-in hours to first-year dorms occur in:

• 100 Carman Hall on Monday, from 6 to 9 p.m.
  • 115 Hartley Hall on Wednesday from 6 to 9 p.m.

You can see the entire list of office hours here if these hours don’t work with your schedule.

Furman Counseling Center—BC only

• Phone: 212-854-2092
  • Website: Here
  • Location: 100 Hewitt Hall

Furman offers short-term counseling for all types of mental health concerns and is free to all students. Much like CPS, you’ll need to have a phone appointment before you can schedule a face-to-face appointment, and you’ll usually be able to have a face-to-face counseling session within the same week.

Elliott Hall on Thursday from 7 to 9:30 p.m.

• Plimpton Hall on Monday from 7 to 9:30 p.m.
  • Elliott Hall on Thursday from 7 to 9:30 p.m.

Nightline—All four schools

• Phone: 212-854-7777
  • Website: Here
  • Hours: 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

If you’re more comfortable talking to your peers instead of clinicians, then Nightline is for you. Nightline is an anonymous, peer listening service available for all students, and the listeners will be there for you for any issue, no matter how small or large.

Note: Nightline will be open during NSOP. If you feel overwhelmed by orientation and the transition to college during those first few days, Nightline might be a good resource to try.

Also, if you’re interested in becoming a listener, then visit the club’s booth during the club fair. Nightline has training sessions in the beginning of the fall and spring semesters, and you’ll learn how to be an empathetic listener and support the people you go to school with.

Sexual health and safety

SVR—All four schools

• Phone: 212-854-4357 (open 24.7, 365 days a year)
  • Website: Here
  • Location: 700 Lerner or 105 Hewitt
  • Hours: Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Extras: This office provides free condoms and lube

Sexual Violence Response is a free service for all undergraduate students and provides counseling and advocacy for sexual violence survivors. They also host workshops, lectures, movie screenings, and other events to teach students about sexual violence prevention and sexual safety.

Advocates help survivors by escorting them to a hospital, police station, public safety office, court, and/or campus disciplinary proceedings. They also remind students of their legal and medical rights.

If you’d like to volunteer with SVR and become a peer advocate or educator, you can apply at the beginning of the spring semester on their website.

GHAP—CC/SEAS/GS only

• Phone: 212-854-6655
  • Website: Here
  • Location: 3rd floor of John Jay Hall
  • Extras: This office provides free condoms, lube, and tampons

The Gay Health Advocacy Project provides free HIV testing and advocacy. Students can speak to peer advocates about any concerns regarding STI/HIV status and general sexual health. In addition to HIV testing, GHAP provides consultations for PrEP, PEP, and coordination for hormone replacement therapy.

No appointments are necessary for HIV testing—you simply check in at the front desk, speak to an advocate, and then proceed to a quick blood test. Make sure you plan your visit, though, since the lab stops drawing blood 30 minutes before closing.

HIV test results take 24 hours to complete, so you’ll have to come back the next day. You can also ask the advocate to send your results over the patient/doctor medical portal.

WHAP—CC/SEAS/GS only

• Phone: 212-854-6655
  • Website: Here
  • Location: 3rd floor of John Jay Hall

Technically part of GHAP, the Women’s Health Advocacy Project provides comprehensive peer sexual health education. WHAP is open to everyone, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation. You can talk to a peer advocate about birth control options, the morning-after pill, pregnancy testing, abortion, gynecologic health, STIs, menstrual cycle, conception, pleasure, and communication.

If you’re interested in becoming a peer advocate, you must first apply on GHAP’s website and go through training.

Primary Care Health Service—BC only

• Phone: 212-854-2091
  • Website: Here
  • Location: Basement of Brooks Hall

At Barnard Primary Care Health Service, you’ll be able to talk to a clinician about abortion referrals, contraception (including reversible and emergency), gynecological education, pregnancy testing, and STIs/HIV.

You’ll have to call to make an appointment, but Primary Care has urgent walk-in hours on:

• Monday to Wednesday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
  • Thursday and Friday from 9 to 11 a.m.

Medical Services—CC/SEAS/GS only

• Phone: 212-854-7426
  • Website: Here
  • Location: Fourth floor of John Jay Hall

Located on the fourth floor of John Jay, Columbia Medical Services provide a wide range of sexual health, women’s health, and men’s health services, in addition to basic physical health care needs. You can get STI testing (except HIV, since that’s downstairs in GHAP), contraception, pregnancy testing, and abortion referrals.

To make a same-day appointment, use the online portal here or call the office. Medical Services is also open for urgent care appointments (i.e., walk-ins) during the hours listed above.

Physical health

Primary Care Health Service—BC only

• Phone: 212-854-2091
  • Website: Here
  • Location: Basement of Brooks Hall

Barnard Primary Care Health Service provides physicals, vaccines, allergy shots, nutrition services, PPD placement and reading, and more.

You’ll have to call to make an appointment, but Primary Care usually has urgent walk-in hours on:

• Thursday and Friday from 9 to 11 a.m.

Medical Services—CC/SEAS/GS only

• Phone: 212-854-7426
  • Website: Here

Columbia Medical Services provides physicals, vaccines, acupuncture, allergy shots, nutrition services, Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, tobacco cessation, weight management, and more.

To make a same day appointment, use the online portal here or call the office. Medical Services is also open for urgent care appointments (i.e., walk-ins) during the hours listed above.

Alice! Health Promotion—All four schools

• Phone: 212-854-5453
  • Website: Here
  • Extras: If you’re concerned about your drinking and sleeping habits, you can take assessments here and here. If you’re concerned about your drinking and sleeping habits, you can take assessments here and here.

Alice! Health Promotion works to create a healthy campus environment by creating and implementing accessible health programs that will be especially relevant to college students, such as ones that focus physical, mental, and sexual health, as well as substance abuse. This is a free online service where students can ask any questions they have and be guaranteed that they’ll receive an answer, so if you have any health-related questions and and don’t want to see a healthcare provider right away, you can either submit a question here or browse through their FAQs here.

CUEMS (aka CAVA)—All four schools

• Phone: 212-854-5555
  • Website: Here

If you ever find yourself hurt, in a life-threatening situation, or have a friend who had way too much to drink, then you should call CU Emergency Medical Service. It’s a volunteer, student-run ambulance that will be able to treat people on site and take them to the hospital for free. To dispatch an ambulance, call the number above.

If you’re interested in joining CAVA, there are EMT training sessions at the start of every semester (but they cost $1,000 to do). You then have to apply and take a test to become a volunteer.

(If you hear people saying CAVA, it’s the same as CUEMS. The service was originally called Columbia Area Volunteer Ambulance.)

Wellness, stress relief, and exercise

Stressbusters—All four schools

Stressbusters is a student volunteer-run program that promotes positive stress coping techniques. To give you an idea of what they do, they bring puppies to the libraries during midterms and provide free neck and back rubs at various events throughout the community (which is especially helpful during finals week, trust me).

Their fall hours have yet to be posted, but there are two weekly programs that they do every semester:

• Melt Away Mondays: Monday from 7 to 8 p.m. at Jerome Greene Law School
  • Wind Down Wednesdays: Wednesday from 4 to 5 p.m. on Lerner East Ramp

If you’re interested in becoming a Stressbuster, there’ll be training sessions during the beginning of the fall semester. You can sign up during the club fair during the first week of school.

Well-Woman—BC only

• Phone: 212-854-3063
  • Website: Here
  • Location: 119 Reid Hall
  • Hours: Staff office hours Monday to Friday from 1 to 4 p.m.; peer-ed office hours Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m.Staff office hours Monday to Friday from 1 to 4 p.m.; peer-ed office hours Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m.
  • Extras: This office provides free condoms, lube, dental dams, and pads/tamponsThis office provides free condoms, lube, dental dams, and pads/tampons

Barnard’s Well-Woman Health Promotion Program strives to enhance the health and wellness of the entire Barnard community. Peer educators teach workshops about healthy eating, safe sex, healthy relationships, self care, sleep, communication, stress reduction, positive body image, and more. The office also provides resources such as newsletters, books, magazines, and journals.

If you’re interested in becoming a peer educator, you’ll be able to apply in March on the Well-Woman blog.

Fitbear—BC only

If you’re interested in working on your fitness during the school year, you can buy a Fitbear pass on the website here. With it, you’ll be able to attend fitness classes through the week (barre, zumba, etc.), and also sign up for for one-on-one training sessions (do note that there is an additional fee associated with this—$35 for 30 minutes).

Dodge fitness pass

Dodge (the gym, not the music building) offers a bunch of fitness classes during the academic year. If you aren’t already hitting the gym or registered for a class, you can get a group fitness pass and go to any of the classes available here.

Of course, you have your traditional cardio and strength machines, basketball and squash courts, and swimming pool at Dodge, too. To learn more about the fitness scene at Columbia, you can read our in-depth guide here.

The first step in being successful in college is to make sure that you’re treating yourself the way you deserve: well. Be sure to hit up these resources whenever you need them.

READ NEXT:

Got any questions about these resources? Ask us here or on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Huber Gonzalez is a junior in Columbia College and Spectrum’s deputy editor. He’s used basically all of these resources and can attest to the fact that they’re super useful. Reach him at huber.gonzalez@columbiaspectator.com for any questions about them.