Living and Lifestyle
@annemckenna_ / via Instagram

You won’t truly understand this unfortunate reality until you live here, but New York City is expensive. Like, $5 for a half-gallon of milk kind of expensive.

No worries, though—being a Columbia student means you can find discounts at a number of stores and attractions. Here are all the deals you can get with your ID card.

*Note: All of these discounts pertain to CU and BC IDs unless otherwise stated.

Entertainment

• Carnegie Hall: With a Student Insider Pass (which costs $15 to register), you have access to $10 tickets online or by phone. $10 rush tickets are also open to the public, but you have to go to the box office on the day of the show to get them.
  • Lincoln Center: There are miscellaneous student discounts for all performances at Lincoln Center, including those by the New York City Ballet and by the New York Philharmonic.
  • The Met Opera: With a Student Access pass, you can get discounted opera tickets (prices vary). The Met Opera also has rush tickets, which can be bought at 10 a.m. the day of the performance.
  • AMC: You can pick up $11 tickets for any movie at an AMC theater from the Ticket and Information Center in Lerner Hall or the Barnard Store in the Diana Center.
  • Broadway tickets: You can get affordable tickets to shows with Givenik. Prices for tickets vary, and discounted shows change throughout the year. If you’d rather buy the tickets in person, you can get them at the TIC, the Columbia Arts Initiative’s discounted box office in Lerner. It’s located right next to the entrance of Café East. The Barnard Store, on the first floor of Diana, is another good place to buy tickets at a discount.
  • Sports games: If you want to root for one of New York’s teams, there are $10 student rush tickets at Citi Field (that’s where the Mets play). Pick them up the day of the game.

Museums

The list of museums with free admission to Columbia students is pretty lengthy, so see the full list here. Barnard students, likewise, get free admission to these museums.

Most of the popular museums, like the Met and MoMA, are on the list. However, there are many others which don’t offer free entry. Most of these offer student discounts, but don’t count on slithering by without dropping some cash:

• Guggenheim Museum
  • Whitney Museum
  • Museum of Sex
  • Brooklyn Museum
  • Tenement Museum

Pro tip: Some Barnard students made a group for all museum enthusiasts. Join if you want to hit up Museum Mile with your new classmates.

Subscriptions

• New York Times: CC, SEAS, and GS students can get the NYTimes for free. Barnardigans can access all online NYTimes content for $1 per week (with the first four weeks being free).
  • The Washington Post: Students (or Amazon Prime holders) get a free subscription to WaPo. Simply create an account (register with your .edu email address), go to your profile, click “My Subscriptions,” and then verify your email address under the “.edu, .mil, .gov: Get free access” section.
  • Wall Street Journal: Students get unlimited online access for $1 per week.
  • Spotify: Get Spotify Premium for $4.99 per month.
  • Amazon Prime: Get a free six-month trial before committing to Amazon Prime. After the trial is up, the ser vice will cost you $49 per year (50 percent off the usual price).

Tech

• Apple: Looking for a new laptop to begin your college career? Get up to $300 off your Mac, $20 off your iPad, free Beats, 50 percent off an Apple Music subscription, and a Pro Apps bundle for $200.
  • Adobe: Get Creative Cloud at 60 percent off, or $19.99 per month.
  • Microsoft Office: Columbia gives out free Microsoft Office downloads, meaning you get a free download of college staples like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Columbia and Barnard students can download it here.
  • HP: If you’re more of a PC person, get a new laptop through HP Academy. You can register for free, and benefits include 20 percent off all products and free shipping.

Fashion

• ASOS: 10 percent off online purchases.
  • Ann Taylor: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Banana Republic: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Club Monaco: 15 percent off in-store and online purchases.
  • J. Crew: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Kate Spade: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Levi’s: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • LOFT: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Madewell: 15 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Modcloth: 10 percent off online purchases.
  • Steve Madden: 10 percent off in-store purchases.
  • Topshop: 10 percent off in-store and online purchases.
  • Urban Outfitters: 10 percent off in-store and online purchases with UNiDAYS.
  • Vineyard Vines: 15 percent off in-store purchases.

Travel

Let us know if you hear of any other discounts—we’ll be updating this list as we hear of more opportunities.

READ NEXT:

• Break out of the MoHi bubble every now and again, but do so on a budget. Here are the most cost-efficient ways of getting around the city.
  • Know any other places students can get a discount? Tell us here, or on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard junior. She’s collected on the Carnegie Hall and AMC discounts, but her bank account gently weeps. Reach her at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

required-reading discounts cuid bcid student-discount