Social
@__jaff__ / via Instagram

Does a JJ’s-less campus give you the blues? Are you totally disenchanted with Hewitt’s cold tofu bar? Are you just plain hungry or out of meal swipes? Say no more.

This Friday from 12 to 2 p.m. (either in the Furnald lounge or the Van Am Quad outside of John Jay, depending on the weather), help yourselves to a free lunch, 100 percent on Spec. All you have to do is make sure you’ve liked the Columbia Daily Spectator and Spectrum Facebook pages before showing up.

Here’s what’ll be on the menu.

Main Course

Your parents will be happy to hear we’re keeping you well-fed with all the offerings this Friday. Start out at the eatery that everyone loves to hate most, Tom’s Diner, for your all-American food, and then stop by LoLo’s Seafood Shack for some some fresh fish. If you’re in the mood for some sandwiches, get Subway for can’t-go-wrong subs, Cafe 109 for heroes, or Garden of Eden for some quality sandwiches.

If you want something a little less fishy or American, we’ve got you covered. Of course you can never go wrong with a slice of New York pizza from V & T Pizzeria & Restaurant or Italian-American sandwiches from Parm. If you want to head east on the map, we’ve also got Nabe Harlem Restaurant & Lounge (sans lounge) and Happy Hot Hunan.

Of course, we’ll also feature some of MoHi’s most ~esteemed~ restaurants. If you’re craving something south of the border, you’ll definitely find Amigos Mexican Bar & Restaurant amongst the pack. Or check out Amir’s Grill if you’d prefer some Middle Eastern food.

Dessert

16 Handles is a self-serve fro-yo place, which is perfect for those still mourning the abrupt closure of JJ’s. If you’re not a fro-yo fan, you can try some more unusual yogurt from Sohha Savory Yogurt. If you’re like, “Nah, creamy desserts freak me out” (wut) or, “Nah, one dessert just doesn’t do it for me,” make sure you stop by the Insomnia Cookies stand.

Beverages, cafés, and bakeries

Ever wanted to try one of those bougie Pressed Juicery juices but didn’t want to cough up the six or seven dollars? Don’t worry about ripping your wallet to shreds; we’ve got you covered this time. Get yourself something from Silvana to follow it up, or completely negate the detox effects of Pressed Juicery by getting yourself a pastry from La Toulousaine.

Tl;dr

• American: Tom’s Diner, Subway, Cafe 109, Garden of Eden
  • Italian: V & T Pizzeria & Restaurant, Parm
  • Dessert: 16 Handles, Insomnia Cookies, Sohha Savory Yogurt
  • Bakeries and cafés: Silvana, La Toulousaine
  • Beverages: Pressed Juicery
  • Asian: Nabe Harlem Restaurant & Lounge, Happy Hot Hunan
  • Mexican: Amigos Mexican Bar & Restaurant
  • Middle Eastern: Amir’s Grill
  • Seafood: LoLo’s Seafood Shack

Cap off the week with a good, free meal. Make sure you RSVP to the event and bring some friends along with you.

Which restaurant are you most looking forward to? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard sophomore. As a holder of only 30 meal swipes per semester, she is pumped for the Free Food Expo. Reach her at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

food expo food social spec