The Shaft

In addition to producing regular content on The Shaft, Spectrum will also be providing previews and recaps for every day of in-person selection. Keep checking The Shaft for said recaps, and also take a peek at our new and improved Whiteboard to see which lottery numbers are taking which dorms in real time.

As you begin to make the final arrangements before in-person selection, the drama of housing selection should be dying down… until you get to the Cage, that is. (Thinking “wtf is that?”)

It’s all fine and dandy to have your group sorted out, fantasize about where you’ll rest your lil’ head next semester, and shamelessly brag to your friends about your rad lotto number, but at the end of the day you gotta know what’s being taken when. That (in addition to about 10 million other things) is where The Shaft can help you out. Introducing our new and improved Whiteboard.

The Whiteboard was redesigned to update you during in-person selection in the easiest way to read. If you were here last year, you might remember us telling you what was being taken via live blog. This year, we decided that there’s a more logical way to convey this info. In the live blog, you would have to scroll through hours of commentary just to see if your coveted dorm was taken. Important info got lost. This new Whiteboard will fix all of that.

Here’s where you’ll find the Whiteboard—this part is the same as last year. But when you click on your school-specific Whiteboard (located in the red square)…

It’ll take you to this page. Much better, yes? Find the dorm you’ve got your eye on by first selecting the residence hall on the left (orange square), and then going to the specific floor. Once you click on the floor, you’ll see the list of room numbers on that floor (green square). If a dorm is taken, the lottery number that claimed it will show up in the next column (purple square, though obviously nothing’s showing up here yet).

Another cool thing you can do with the Whiteboard now is display rooms according to their size (one-person rooms, six-person suites, etc.). This will be helpful if the specific room you wanted was taken but you want to know if there are any other rooms like that in the building.

For example, if you were looking for a six-person suite in 110, you’d click the “6-Person Suite” box (green squares), then scroll through the floors as usual. As you can see, there’s one on the third floor, none on the fifth, and another one on the eighth (blue squares).

Additionally, you’ll be able to make your search more specific by opting to have the Whiteboard only show you available dorms (purple box).

The Whiteboard will be invaluable during in-person selection. You’ll probably want to keep it open in a spare tab so you can check back every few minutes—we’ll be there in John Jay Lounge and Brooks Lounge to give you live updates throughout room selection.

What do you think of the new Whiteboard? Tell us on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard sophomore. She’d tell you more about her housing group and what they’re aiming for if she weren’t paranoid that someone will swoop in and ruin everything. Reach her at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

housing the shaft the whiteboard housing selection