academics
@barnardadmissions / via Instagram

For many humanities-oriented Barnardigans, satisfying science Foundations requirements might seem daunting. If you didn’t come into college with much science experience (or like me, forgot everything you ever learned the moment you graduated from high school), even a university’s intro classes can seem intimidating.

Luckily, there are plenty of science classes that are accessible even to those students most averse to the subject. Below are some Barnard students’ favorite science classes for non-sciency people.

How many semesters will I have to take?

Foundations kids need to take two semesters of science (doesn’t have to be the same science course) with one semester of lab. Older Nine Ways of Knowing Barnardigans need to take two semesters of the same science, both with an accompanying lab.

Intro to Psychology (PSY-BC1001)

Intro to Psych is a great intro class for anybody remotely interested in psychology, as well as for anyone who wants to better understand the workings of their own brain (but no promises about learning why you keep texting that one Tinder guy—try the Abnormal Behavior class for that).

This class is also known as one of the easiest As on campus. Though the lecture can seem a bit dry if you’re not overly passionate about the subject, it will easily enable you to get through that science requirement with as little pain as possible.

• Professor: Sabrina Jhanwar, Patricia Stokes, or Stephanie Anderson
  • Time: TR 2:40-3:55 p.m., MW 4:10-5:25 p.m., or MW 8:40-9:55 a.m.
  • Credits: Three
  • Lab? There’s one offered if you want to take it, but it’s not required. (Generally the spots in these labs are pretty limited anyway.)

The Jazz of Chemistry (CHEM-BC1050)

This course teaches you to apply chemistry to all kinds of daily situations. From forging paintings to creating lethal poisons, you’ll be able to learn about chemistry in fun settings. (Bonus: there’s no formal exam for this class—just a final presentation!)

• Professor: Meenakshi Rao
  • Time: MW 10:10-11:25 a.m.
  • Credits: Three
  • Lab? No

Oceanography (EESC-UN1030)

This introductory class teaches students about ocean life, currents, and ocean ecosystems using current case studies of problems affecting the world right now. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a solution for rising water levels!

The worst thing about this class is the time it meets—if you’ve never taken an 8:40, you’re in for a rude awakening, and Prof. Hoenisch also takes attendance.f you miss more than two classes, she may start to dock your grade, so frequently skipping isn’t an option.

• Professor: Baerbel Hoenisch
  • Time: TR 8:40-9:55 a.m.
  • Credits: Three
  • Lab? No

Developmental Psychology (PYSC-BC1129)

The early years of a person’s life most affect who they become and what they do in life. Learn all about human development (with special emphasis on cognitive, perceptual, and emotional development) to better understand what your parents did right (or wrong) with you.

• Professor: Koleen McCrink
  • Time: MW 10:10-11:25 a.m.
  • Credits: Three
  • Lab? There’s one offered if you want to take it, but it’s not required. (Again, spots are limited.)

Earth Resources and Sustainable Development (EESC-UN1600)

If you enjoyed high school chemistry, check out this class which mainly focuses on renewable and nonrenewable resources and how they affect the planet. You’ll also learn about technology-in-the-works that will make the planet better, like superconducting magnets and rechargeable batteries.

• Professor: Peter Keleman
  • Time: TR 1:10-2:25 p.m.
  • Credits: Three
  • Lab? No

Organic Chemistry II (CHEM-BC3231)

Lol just kidding. This is the best joke I’ve ever written for this newspaper.

It doesn’t matter whether your strengths lie in the sciences or in other studies, because if you’re looking to graduate, you’ll eventually have to fulfill your science requirements. Plan ahead and prepare your schedule so you don’t end up being the senior scrambling to finish their requirements.

Know of any other easy foundations requirements? Let us know on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Mariella Evangelista is a Barnard first-year and a Spectrum staff writer. She thought about being pre-med for a day, but then she saw the science requirements. Reach her at mariella.evangelista@columbiaspectator.com.

foundations science gen ed requirements barnard bc registration