Academics
LUKE W HENDERSON / File Photo

The rise and fall of the football team, an alarming number of white supremacist speakers on campus, and an episode of Law & Order at 1020: It’s fair to say that the fall of 2017 has been… eventful. If you’re planning on taking it easy in the spring and signing up for the absolute barest amount of credits, Spectrum is here to help you out. We scoured the labyrinth that is the Columbia course catalog and curated some one-credit gems to bump up your 11 credits to a dazzling 12. All of the courses we present to you:

don’t have prereqs (some have auditions, though), don’t have coreqs, don’t need you to send an email groveling to a professor to let you in, aren’t research seminars or independent projects, aren’t on other rando campuses (we’re looking at you, NYU).

Music

Introductory Ear Training

Sight-sing like the delicate little canary that you are.

Monday and Wednesday from 12:10 to 1 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday from 3:10 to 4 p.m.

Barnard-Columbia Chamber Singers

A quick email to the music department will get you in. From there on out, it’ll be you belting out some beautiful chamber music like your soul depends on it.

Tuesday and Thursday from 8 to 9:30 p.m.

Barnard-Columbia Chorus II

An email to the music department and an audition means getting to perform in fancy concerts if you get in. Do re sign mi up.

Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m.

P.E.

Dance: Rehearsal & Performance in Dance

An audition could have you dancing, choreographing, designing, or stage-managing a departmental production.

Monday and Wednesday from 6:10 to 9 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday from 6:10 to 9 p.m.

P.E. for CC and SEAS

There are 54 sections of P.E. to sign up for, including scuba diving (seriously!), yoga, and a host of bougie sports, like squash. Here’s a comprehensive list.

P.E. for Barnard

A measly 16 classes in comparison, but with offerings like tai chi and “Women’s Strength,” whatever that is. Here’s your comprehensive list.

Science

Psychology: Science and Scientists

Channel your inner Mowshowitz and discuss scientific inquiry in psychology and the work of scientists. E = mc2, amirite?

Wednesday from 4:10 to 6 p.m.

Neurobiology and Behavior: Student Journal Club

A colloquium on Fridays that’ll familiarize you with scientific literature. Think of it as ... academic clubbing?

Friday from 12 to 1 p.m.

Sustainable Development: Introduction to Sustainable Development Seminar

Still think climate change isn’t real? You could take that up with The Onion, or maybe take this class.

Tuesday from 11:40 a.m. to 12:55 p.m.

Education

STEM & Education

A workshop discussing math education. If you happen to hate math but still need that extra credit, find comfort in the fact that it only meets five times in the semester.

Tuesday from 6:10 to 9 p.m.

While one of these guys is sure to raise your course load up to a solid 12 credits, it might also be worth taking another three-credit class to keep your status as a full-time student. Besides, these course credit issues you have now are a lot nicer than the real credit issues you’ll have after graduating.

therese.bonoan@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpectrum

barnard college columbia university course registration classes spring 2018