Lifestyle
Rya Inman / Senior Staff Photographer

You’ve run the gamut of extracurriculars–you’ve tried to find that one group, club, or society that truly makes Columbia your home, but to no avail. We get it. It can be tricky finding that perfect close-knit community in college, but every Columbia student deserves one.

For the more musically inclined of those among us, you’re in luck. If you find yourself belting out the Mamma Mia! soundtrack in the shower and reminiscing about your days of stardom in your high school choir, joining an a cappella group may be for you.

Columbia and Barnard have a number of a cappella groups, all of which have their own characters and affiliations. It’s just a matter of finding that one perfect fit for you. We all know that the beginning of the semester tends to be a little hectic, so save yourself some time and check out our complete schedule of spring semester a cappella auditions.

Bacchantae

(All-female)

When: January 17, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. and January 18, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: barnard.bacchantae@gmail.com

Bacchantae member Anna Fondiller says: “I am a junior at Barnard, and Bacchantae has been my family in college. This group of 16 girls make beautiful pop, folk, and jazz music, talk about politics and our favorite class[es], share cute cat pics, and are the biggest support system anyone could ask for. If you are auditioning for Bacchantae, definitely do it for our kick-ass arrangements, but also do it to join a family of the most inspiring women you’ll ever meet.”

Clefhangers

(Co-ed)

When: January 16, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. and January 18, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Hamilton Hall

Notes from the members: “We’d like to hear you sing a verse and chorus of a song of your choice. Then, we will test your musical ability and range with some vocal exercises and scales. If you have any special musical skills (i.e. BEATBOXING!), please let us know! Our callback list will be posted the final night of auditions.”

Contact: clefhangers@columbia.edu

Clefhangers member Stanley Zhang says: “Being in the Clefhangers isn’t solely about the singing. It’s about the family that we are and the time that we commit to be with each other, in and outside of rehearsals. We all love to sing, but we care about all of our members even more. Join us and audition to be a part of the Clefs.”

Jubilation!

(Co-ed, Christian affiliation)

When: January 16 - 18, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Hamilton 301

Notes from the members: “Please prepare a brief solo piece for the auditions. Registration is not required—just turn up!”

Contact: contact@jube.org

Jubilation president Elijah Schultz says: “Jubilation is Columbia’s Christian a cappella group, so we see ourselves in religious terms as much as artistic ones. We make a point of praying for each other, and our concerts are normally structured as ways of making faith accessible to people unfamiliar with the rhythms of church life. It’s a great little family singing in service to a great big God.”

Kingsmen

(All-male)

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: https://www.columbiakingsmen.com/contact.html

Kingsmen member Jacob Kaplan says: “Like all other groups, the Kingsmen place a high emphasis on our musical sound. However, what I think sets us apart (and was the ultimate reason I wanted to join the group) is the equal importance we place on humor and enjoying ourselves during both practices and performances. What I admire most about ’Smen is how we can take our music seriously without taking ourselves seriously. Also Art Garfunkel was in the group, so that’s pretty cool.”

Metrotones

(All-female)

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: metrotones-acappella@columbia.edu

Metrotones President Tamsin Kantor says: “You should join the Metrotones if you love to sing and perform, and want to join a close-knit and supportive group of women. The Metrotones perform at lots of different kinds of events on campus and throughout New York City. Being in the group has brought us so many exciting opportunities and experiences from performing at Lincoln Center, to impromptu performances on the subway, to singing backup for artists such as Vampire Weekend and MILCK. At heart, the Metrotones are a group of friends. We take our music very seriously, but we also love just hanging out and having a good time. If you love to sing, a cappella is a really great way to find community on campus.”

Nonsequitur

(Co-ed)

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: nonsequitur.acappella@gmail.com

Nonsequitur member Zach Trinidad says: “Joining Nonsequitur last semester has been one of the best decisions of my life. Having so many talented members, joining was a little intimidating at first, but everyone in the group is so supportive and positive. Since our group is so diverse, we have a very unique sound and a fun, eclectic repertoire that every member has a say in! Being a part of this musical family has helped me grow as a singer, and is something I will cherish forever. I would advise any singers or vocal percussionists with interest in a cappella to come tryout for Nonseq; you will not regret it!”

Notes and Keys

(Co-ed)

Who: Basses and tenors

When: January 18 - 19, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Hamilton Hall

Notes: Please prepare 30 seconds of a song of your choice

Contact: nak.prez@gmail.com

Communications manager Arman Azad says: “Obviously there are so many incredible a cappella groups at Columbia, but I think what sets Notes and Keys apart is just how much fun we have together. We’re like one big family that does crazy things together—whether that’s running through the subway singing songs for strangers, having impromptu concerts in front of Butler with other groups, or taking selfies with Lin-Manuel Miranda’s trophies in his apartment.

We have one of Columbia’s most diverse groups, and each member in Notes and Keys is so unique. I think that’s one of our greatest assets—not just because of the amazing music it lets us make, but also because of the incredible, one-of-a-kind experiences we can have together.”

Sharp

(All-male)

When: January 18, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Hamilton 317

Notes: Those auditioning should go to Hamilton 304 and put their name on the sign up sheet.

Contact: columbiasharp@gmail.com

SHARP President Asher Goldfinger says: “Founded in 2011, SHARP started out as a group of friends with a love for singing R&B/Soul hits that quickly rose to become Columbia’s premier all-male a cappella group. SHARP has prided itself in staying ahead of the game, and we look forward to seeing how you can help us continue in that!”

Sur

(Co-ed, South Asian fusion)

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: sur.columbia@gmail.com

Sur President Shreya Sunderram says: “Sur has one of the most unique sounds on campus because all of our arrangements are mashups of songs you hear on the radio and songs from through the South Asian continent. Sur is a great team to be on not only because of how interesting and fun our arrangements are, but also because for many of us it’s a way to express our identity and culture through music, and express our joint identity as diaspora South Asians and Americans.”

Uptown Vocal

(Co-ed, Jazz focus)

Where: Hamilton Hall

Contact: uptownvocal@columbia.edu

Uptown Vocal President Maddy Meyer says: “Uptown Vocal is Columbia’s premier jazz a cappella group. We consider ourselves a family and have a ton of fun working on intricate arrangements, hanging out, performing around New York City, and this semester, going on tour! Whether you are a jazz aficionado or are new to the genre, we would love to have you join us!”

Correction (9:42 a.m., January 17): A previous version of this article stated that Bacchantae was Barnard-only. It is open to both Barnard and Columbia students.

peyton.ayers@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpectrum

a cappella columbia barnard kingsmen notes and keys sharp bacchantae jubilation uptown vocal sur nonsequitur metrotones clefhangers