Lifestyle
Jaime Danies / Senior Staff Photographer

With the start of a new semester comes the inevitable “I want to get more involved on campus” spiel you give every single September and January. We get it—going to Columbia is difficult enough, but when it seems like everyone else is involved with ten different extracurriculars, it can be easy to feel a bit out of the loop. This semester, we’ve made it easier than ever to actually live up to that new semester goal by compiling a list of all of Columbia and Barnard’s clubs, programs, and organizations that are still recruiting new members this semester.

AllSex

Bio: “AllSex is a peer-facilitated, semester-long discussion group dedicated to the empowerment and fulfillment of the sexual self. AllSex aims to create an inclusive, safe, and diverse community that fosters the sexual growth of its participants by adopting an intersectional approach to examine the external and internal forces that control our sexuality, drawing primarily on the lived expertise of the participants and their individual potential for increased learning and understanding. AllSex believes that sexuality should be safe, powerful, and celebrated, and that the far-reaching implications of sexuality on our daily lives warrant brave and thoughtful consideration and action within our community.

“AllSex meets twice a week for two hours, and requires a semester-long commitment. Please apply only if you will be able to commit to the four hours each week.”

Application: due Friday, Jan. 26 at 11:59 p.m.

Member Application: https://goo.gl/forms/OAZzpWqlVMGW5zL02

Contact: columbiaallsex@gmail

Columbia University Singapore Students Association

Bio: “The Columbia University Singapore Students Association aims to foster a sense of community for Singaporean students on Columbia’s campus. Through independent and collaborative events, SSA hopes to bring together Singaporeans and their friends, as well as to enhance awareness of Singapore at Columbia.

“Our events showcase Singaporean culture (which usually means there is free and delicious food available). Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about our events! If you would like to get on our mailing list, send a blank email with the header “subscribe to mailing list” to: columbiassa@gmail.com!"

Application: none

Contact: ps2913@columbia.edu

Columbia University Sketch Show

Bio: “Are you a proud thespian trying to get your face on the internet? A struggling writer who just wants your voice to be heard? An aspiring filmmaker searching for a welcoming environment and numerous production opportunities? Just a chill person who wants to try their hand at comedy? CUSS, Columbia’s first and only video sketch comedy group, might be for you!”

Application: due Friday Jan. 26 at 11:59 p.m.

Crew application: https://goo.gl/forms/972sC3BH6gHSvU2Q2

Writer application: https://goo.gl/PhJczx

Auditions: Friday Jan. 26 from 7 to 10 p.m. in Hamilton Hall

Contact: culowbudgetsketchshow@gmail.com

CS Mentorship Program

Bio: “The CS Mentorship Program is a student initiative that pairs first years and sophomores interested in majoring in CS with juniors and seniors currently studying it. Join us for a semester of creating long-term relationships between mentors and mentees, community events (with free food!) and mentor-led internal workshops about specific topics within CS.

“It is a great opportunity to give back to the CS community, gain experience leading a workshop, and meet fellow upperclassmen in CS. Workshops and informative events will take place Tuesday evenings and bonding activities Friday afternoons, so you should expect to have these times open.”

Application: due Sunday, Jan. 28 at 11:59 p.m.

Mentee application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FLKaQDKq6yR2sfdQLVYLQP9pgj2dOimthsIJOo-3Txs/viewform?edit_requested=true

Interest meetings: Thursday, Jan. 25 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Lerner 474 and Sunday, Jan. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in John Jay Hall lounge

Contact: mentorship@adicu.com

Columbia New Music

Bio: “Columbia New Music welcomes composers, performers, and enthusiasts of all kinds of music that might be considered contemporary classical, including music inspired by modern Western classical trends, jazz and electronics, as well as non-Western classical music.”

Application: None

Contact: newmusic@columbia.edu

Columbia University Swing Dance Club

Bio: “Columbia University Swing Dance Club exists to unify the swing dance community of Columbia University. Strong ties with America’s unique sub-culture of jazz music and movement allow us to promote the dance as an exciting social endeavor. The CU Swing Dance Club is dedicated to providing events and instruction in Lindy Hop, Balboa, and Charleston. Our members organize and attend events throughout New York City.”

Application: none

Contact: db3047@barnard.edu

GlobeMed

Bio: “Interested in: global health, social justice, nonprofits, human rights, healthcare, development work, marketing and design, communications, ​or ​business and event management?

“Consider joining GlobeMed at Columbia University, a non-profit founded on the belief that students can be agents to increase and promote health and justice for all. Since 2009, we’ve been partnered with Gulu Women’s Economic Development and Globalization (GWED-G), a humanitarian organization based in Gulu, Uganda, which provides health services, economic empowerment, psychosocial support, and human rights advocacy for individuals in Gulu.”

Member application: https://goo.gl/forms/oopx46vDGEEpXsWH3

Interest meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 24 at 9 p.m. in Lerner 477

Contact: columbia@globemed.org

Students Supporting Israel at Columbia University

Bio: “SSI Columbia provides a space for all students at Columbia University to support, celebrate, and advocate for Israel as part of an indigenous rights movement, where students are empowered to express their opinions regardless of their political views.

“SSI is part of an independent, nonpartisan, grassroots action movement that was created by students, for students, in order to organize a strong and united pro-Israel front at Columbia. We are made up of individuals from different political, religious, and ethnic backgrounds, all working together as Students Supporting Israel.”

Application: none

Contact: ssicolumbiau@gmail.com

Vietnamese Student Association

Bio: “The Vietnamese Students Association (VSA) of Columbia University is a non-profit, student-run organization dedicated to promoting the rich Vietnamese heritage through social and cultural events both on and off campus. Through our various club functions, we strive for an inclusive community on campus that celebrates and spreads the word about Vietnamese culture.”

Application: none

Contact: vsa@columbia.edu

WBAR: Barnard College Freeform Radio

Bio: “WBAR is an independent, free-form, and non-profit radio station broadcasting from the Barnard College campus. All of our programming is generated entirely by on-campus DJs, with a new show spinning every two hours. Our staff is a fine bunch of Barnard and Columbia students, and every one of us is just as aesthetically pleasing as we are qualified for the job.

“WBAR’s mission is to provide an outlet for the music that you won’t find on mainstream stations, so we don’t stop at broadcasting. We also put on some of the best shows in New York City.”

Application: due Tuesday, Jan. 30 at 11:59 p.m.

DJ application: http://www.wbar.org/apply/

Contact: wbar@barnard.edu

WinkMe

Bio: “Join WinkMe!!! Barnard’s curriculum-based club promoting self-love, women’s empowerment, and inner confidence. Discussion-based club meeting weekly on Thursday nights at Diana 308. A space to make friends, eat snacks, and practice self-care. All colleges welcome.”

Application: none

Interest meetings: Wednesday, Jan. 31 at 8 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 1 at 8 p.m. in Altschul Atrium

Contact: Message Dee Wisne

WKCR-FM

Bio: “WKCR-FM, Columbia University’s non-commercial student-run radio station, is dedicated to presenting a spectrum of alternative programming—traditional and alternative music, spoken arts, and original journalism. Granted its Federal Communications Commission license in 1941, WKCR is both steeped in tradition and committed to innovation. The station can be heard throughout New York at 89.9 FM and worldwide.”

Application: to be released

Contact: board@wkcr.org

peyton.ayers@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpectrum

clubs columbia barnard spring 2018 allsex sketch show ssi winkme wbar wkcr columbia new music cs mentorship vietnamese students association swing dance club singapore students association globemed